Not open for further replies.

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Premium Member
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 1, 2020
I realised how boring and hyper-focused on job hunting my life has become recently when I discovered that Chambers and the Legal 500 were the no.2 and 3 most visited websites on my browsing history over the past year behind the FT. Might have to start putting down reading (and rereading when I forget) the law firm rankings as a hobby in the extracurriculars section of my next app at this rate!

Sad reaccs only pls

Hahaha I feel this so much, my ads are now so tragic 🥲 Youtube is all M&A spreadsheet tech with these fake happy finance guys who look like they work 20 hours a week. Also I think all my late night Deliveroo combined with law searches are behind the non-stop ads I'm getting for divorce lawyers too!!! Thanks google but I'd have to get married first 🤣

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have an answer that is 265 words long, but the maximum is 300 words. Would graduate recruitment view this unfavourably? I just don't know how else I can change it to get more words in as I am quite happy with it.
They are unlikely to notice the difference if the content is good.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Hahaha I feel this so much, my ads are now so tragic 🥲 Youtube is all M&A spreadsheet tech with these fake happy finance guys who look like they work 20 hours a week. Also I think all my late night Deliveroo combined with law searches are behind the non-stop ads I'm getting for divorce lawyers too!!! Thanks google but I'd have to get married first 🤣

You're getting targeted ads for law and business at least! I don't know what button I've been mistakenly clicking recently but I'm constantly get conspiracy theories about how the Mars rover landing was fake or novelty articles telling me the 'top 10 things that intelligent people are reading right now'. I think facebook and google think I might be dumb.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I have an answer that is 265 words long, but the maximum is 300 words. Would graduate recruitment view this unfavourably? I just don't know how else I can change it to get more words in as I am quite happy with it.
    For a 300 word answer I would personally try and have a minimum of 290 written. That said, if you genuinely feel like there's nothing else you can add and that you're 100% happy with the answer, don't force it - if you have everything you want to say written down, then adding extra material could actually detract from other areas if it's shoehorned in.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I always tried to be within 10% of the word count as a rule so you wouldn't be far off that! I reckon it's fine tbh as long as you're happy with it and there isn't another couple of sentences you think you can add

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    For a 300 word answer I would personally try and have a minimum of 290 written. That said, if you genuinely feel like there's nothing else you can add and that you're 100% happy with the answer, don't force it - if you have everything you want to say written down, then adding extra material could actually detract from other areas if it's shoehorned in.
    I always tried to be within 10% of the word count as a rule so you wouldn't be far off that! I reckon it's fine tbh as long as you're happy with it and there isn't another couple of sentences you think you can add

Thank you both.

I ended up adding a couple of more sentences, because while I was pleased with my answer, it really bugged me leaving it 35 words short. And then I had to spend an hour trying to figure out how to cut it down to 300 😂

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    That does suck! I think all three of my offers have confirmed that they're running our scheme online now.
    omg really?! that's crazy, I'm doing two that plan to be in person and then the one I have turned down will definitely be online! I'm so hoping they go ahead in person because I've had to negotiate getting the time off of work by handing in my resignation letter lol...

• 🤝
    Reactions: AH97 and Andrew M

LEL

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 22, 2020
    How useful/helpful are virtual internships? Do recruiters value them?
    I think it's more valuable to them if you do their own virtual internship - it shows you want to learn about not only commercial law, but the work that specific firm does. In my W&C interview, I mentioned I did their virtual internship and they seemed intrigued and asked me what I enjoyed most, so it depends on the firm!

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    How useful/helpful are virtual internships? Do recruiters value them?
    I did the Pinsent Masons one over the summer. I found it quite useful and interesting in terms of the actual tasks. I discussed it briefly on my application and in my interview. I got the vac scheme, so it definitely doesn't hurt! 😅

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Morning guys,

what's your take on getting in touch with people on Linkedin asking about their TC?
    I would go for it. I've got in touch with trainees who have been more than helpful because they too have gone for this horrendous process before. Some of them have even become my friends

What I would say is make sure you have specific questions to ask and stuff you genuinely want to know rather that just a vague "help me" message

Reactions: S87
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.