TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey everyone!

We'll be continuing the old vacation scheme thread in this thread. That thread is now locked.

Just to be clear, nothing is changing - feel free to continue all conversations, advice requests, memes here.

The only reason we're closing that thread is a) it is 999 pages long and b) we're no longer in the midst of the 2020 vacation scheme cycle. Going forward, we'll start a new discussion thread more quickly, so it's then easier to navigate for new members. I'm also looking to implement an easy tag button, so you can navigate through all of the past discussion threads.

Note, if you have questions specific to direct training contracts, please use this thread. We'll then open up a new vacation scheme thread for 2021-22 later this year.

Who is going to be the first poster in this thread?

Best!
    Jaysen

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Commenting so I get notified of new posts!

walt disney hello GIF by hoppip

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    hi guys (and hi new thread), is it normal for a job requirement to have 'native English' as one of the requirements? slightly baffled by this. the posting also has separate foreign language desirabilities so also not sure if they mean native English speaker or native English person 😂

Guilherme Carvalho

Dec 4, 2020
    hi guys (and hi new thread), is it normal for a job requirement to have 'native English' as one of the requirements? slightly baffled by this. the posting also has separate foreign language desirabilities so also not sure if they mean native English speaker or native English person 😂
    This looks to me like simply bad word choice on the part of the company. I would definitely interpret this as "someone who's English fluency level is on par with an English native" rather than they are looking for a native English person.

Reactions: jan28 and Kablahc

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    I would be very surprised if a job rejected you for not being a native English speaker if you spoke English at a near-native level, especially if you can speak the other foreign languages because I think it's quite rare for native English speakers in this countries to do so

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    Aha, a few people were under the impression that the forum was closing when we reached 1000 pages. Wanted to get in ahead!
    Also maybe this is a dumb question but what is the actual reason for using a new thread vs continuing on the old thread? It seems to make absolutely no difference to our experience of the forum lol and will just break up the archive of posts regarding the 2020-2021 vac scheme cycle as many people are still going through the process and hearing back from this cycle

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Also maybe this is a dumb question but what is the actual reason for using a new thread vs continuing on the old thread? It seems to make absolutely no difference to our experience of the forum lol and will just break up the archive of posts regarding the 2020-2021 vac scheme cycle as many people are still going through the process and hearing back from this cycle
    He says at the very top of this new thread

• Haha
    Reactions: OB

Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
    Highest Rated Member
    May 4, 2020
    They mean native English speaker, as in English is your first language. Aussies, Canadians, Kiwis (for example) all have English as their first language, but aren't "native English people". It isn't a very common requirement, but I've definitely seen it on firms' websites before.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.