TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Yeah I agree with @FM302989 - I don't think there's a personal element to this.

If you're considering something from the perspective of a personal experience, it's really important to discuss something you've been materially involved in or affected by - attending a WD session as the 'origin story' for this may appear contrived.

There's definitely nothing to stop you discussing SPACs in other settings or different areas of the application, though!
I agree with @Jacob Miller and I would add that it is hard to link heavy finance/corporate topics to your personal experience.

I can give you an example, over the last few years I worked on the cladding safety in the UK. A very sensitive topic that resulted in a new Act and likely to make thousand of people bankrupt. I recently had to check if our apartment was affected too, it involved a lot of checks and a potential change in our mortgage terms. A lot of stress for a positive outcome.

So, I have linked a very important commercial issue with my own personal and professional experience.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Unless you've invested a huge ton of money into a cash shell, I'm not really sure it's a personal experience. Peter's aim is to save us time and give us an overview of current affairs as well.

Unless the firm you're applying to actively works in capital markets and the legal work behind investment vehicles, you may want to discuss a trend, firm transaction or news story (such as Lord Hill's report or the NSI Act). But again, I'd be cautious of saying you're interested in something just to impress
    Yeah I agree with @FM302989 - I don't think there's a personal element to this.

If you're considering something from the perspective of a personal experience, it's really important to discuss something you've been materially involved in or affected by - attending a WD session as the 'origin story' for this may appear contrived.

There's definitely nothing to stop you discussing SPACs in other settings or different areas of the application, though!
    Thank you very both and I was thinking this but was not sure but now I do and you both are right.

Law2022

Legendary Member
    May 3, 2020
    Did anybody else secure a place on the Addleshaw Goddard Direct Training Contract Masterclass with AS? This is such a great opportunity and was wondering how people are preparing?

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Did anybody else secure a place on the Addleshaw Goddard Direct Training Contract Masterclass with AS? This is such a great opportunity and was wondering how people are preparing?
    I did!

However, I did not understand that we are required to make an application anyway!

Reactions: Law2022

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Did anybody else secure a place on the Addleshaw Goddard Direct Training Contract Masterclass with AS? This is such aI did and I think the main ppoint of the scheme is it to great opportunity and was wondering how people are preparing?
    I did and I think the main point of the scheme is to make you submit a really strong application and also it is to make more people from diverse backgrounds secure training contracts at law firms like AG.

Reactions: Law2022

Etudierlaw2022

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 10, 2021
    I have a vac scheme in about three weeks but I have non-stop uni work/research to do and I'm really freaking out that I'm not in the right mindset at all because I'm spread so thin, any tips?

• 🤝
    Reactions: Andrew M

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    It was by email however I had spoke with my interviewer that I have a clash with the AC dates due to another vac scheme.

They could very well have let me know a bit early in case I wanted to verify whether I can attend.
    Congratulations on making it to the AC 🥳 Did you just receive the email? I’ve been waiting to hear back from them too 😩

• 🤝
    Reactions: S87

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I have a vac scheme in about three weeks but I have non-stop uni work/research to do and I'm really freaking out that I'm not in the right mindset at all because I'm spread so thin, any tips?
    I wouldn't worry too much at this stage. There isn't an astonishing amount you can do to prep for a vac scheme - certainly nothing that can't be done closer to the time.

If I were you I would set that to the back of your mind, focus on the here and now and then address vac scheme prep 48-72 hours before it starts.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How is everyone this evening? Anyone doing anything nice? I'm doing my 'due diligence' on a local pub near my new flat!

It's lovely to be back in places now they've started to open up again. Have you guys been back to your favourites or exploring new venues since restrictions

View attachment 3391
    I am doing the opposite to you and have been in Scotland for work!

EE579F2D-87C3-4941-ACF6-AFD13F9D3A62.jpeg
    A03ED65A-5B96-47FB-AC57-9F8D7DC2DC09.jpeg
    C8EDA889-1552-4296-854D-36F8A179B88C.jpeg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.