2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Was it worth applying to Hogan Lovells? I just submitted mine a few days back and am wondering if putting all that effort into a Direct TC was worth it.
I feel you, we have been through a very challenging application cycle. I have applied for a direct tax with white & case, I can tell you that it was an interesting learning experience as my app is completely different from my previous one. We can only see the glass half full and give our best!
Fingers crossed for you!

Veep9

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Was it worth applying to Hogan Lovells? I just submitted mine a few days back and am wondering if putting all that effort into a Direct TC was worth it.

I’ve heard their WGT is really hard as well :/
    I applied for the direct TC but haven’t heard at all. Not even been sent the WG. So 🤷🏽‍♀️ There’s a while to the deadline so I’m a bit concerned about what’s happening.

BiancaR

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 12
  • Jun 8, 2020
    Has anyone recently completed the Dentons AC who might be willing to give advice on how to prepare? I've heard it's fairly theoretical and I'm just not sure of the most effective way to research...
    Thanks in advance! :)

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker, for video interviews I tend to practice with a timer and eventually learn my answers by heart. If the questions are the same as the ones I rehearsed I may sound a bit unnatural or not spontaneous, do you know if this is something that is taken into account when assessing VIs?

Many thanks
    Generally speaking, prepping answers by learning a script is a bad idea for this reason - your responses can seem wooden and impersonal. I always recommend against scripted answers in that way.

A

Anon 11031

Generally speaking, prepping answers by learning a script is a bad idea for this reason - your responses can seem wooden and impersonal. I always recommend against scripted answers in that way.
    I completely agreed with what Jacob has said.

Also, to add from my own mistakes. Overprepping and finding out you have a question which has slightly different wording, or is just a completely different question altogether, can throw you off completely if you're relying on a script.

Most of the time, firms want to see a natural response to a question. ☺️

Penelope

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 2
  • Aug 14, 2019
    After 3 cycles and countless rejections, I have accepted a TC with my dream firm 🥳 Very grateful for TCLA.

I posted the below just before my first interview with the firm and it's been difficult to go through the already intense process while grieving (& starting a new job!), but I somehow did it!

I have an interview in a few hours and I have just found out someone close to me passed away an hour ago. As bad it may sound, I’m trying very hard to keep it together for my interview but struggling.

Does anyone have any tips for making it through this interview? Thanks

Would be very happy to help other people if I can, just send me a message.

Hasn't quite sunk in yet!

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.