2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

A M

Distinguished Member
Dec 28, 2020
Has anyone heard back at all for the Latham TC app yet?

Was literally about to ask the same question! For the TC right? I wonder whether any ACs will happen in August or more likely in the Autumn...
I am not sure if they take many people from their Direct TC route because they clearly mention it on their website that they prefer to fill TC spot from VS.

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Has anyone heard back at all for the Latham TC app yet?

Was literally about to ask the same question! For the TC right? I wonder whether any ACs will happen in August or more likely in the Autumn...
    Waiting as well! Applied the day before the deadline LOL. Fingers crossed for news soon. Their summer vac scheme just wrapped up last week so I imagine they're making TC offers to that group first and waiting to hear back before reaching out to direct TC applicants. They are indeed more inclined to take people from the VS, but have been known to take people from the direct route as well so here's hoping....

AC's likely in the fall by my math....

Reactions: A M

A M

Distinguished Member
    Dec 28, 2020
    Waiting as well! Applied the day before the deadline LOL. Fingers crossed for news soon. Their summer vac scheme just wrapped up last week so I imagine they're making TC offers to that group first and waiting to hear back before reaching out to direct TC applicants. They are indeed more inclined to take people from the VS, but have been known to take people from the direct route as well so here's hoping....

True! All we can do is hope now.

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021

May I ask how they would make decisions in time to arrange and pay for GDL or LPC if they hold ACs in the fall?

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    May I ask how they would make decisions in time to arrange and pay for GDL or LPC if they hold ACs in the fall?
    No clue. For applicants who have a law background / have done the GDL, I think it's fine cos they only have the LPC to do as well. And even if you still have to do the GDL, you can start it in January as well.

Ultimately I have no idea but if they still have to send out VI invites, assess those, and then organize ACs, and THEN organize interviews, that would take you well into September at LEAST....

N.9

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    Hi all, I thought I'd make a post re. my journey as I've pretty much been on TCLA since I became serious about a career in commercial law. Not too long ago I was offered a direct TC with Goodwin Procter and today have received the official letter. I am so thankful to each and everyone on here I've received help and advice from because I can guarantee I wouldn't have got it without TCLA. And of course, thank you to Jaysen for creating this incredible platform.

University wasn't even a path I had envisioned for myself growing up because I wasn't the best at school, largely due to seeing domestic violence, alcohol abuse, financial strains behind closed doors, and also not having the best friendship group. Only after going to a sixth-form out of town and surrounding myself with better people I realised the opportunities available. It's been a hell of a ride since but I just wanted people with a similar background to not feel like their background determines where you end up, no matter how out of place we may feel at times!

Also, wanted to drop this below to hopefully help motivate people to make the last push for the 31st deadline. This was following a rejection post-vac scheme. I did say I wasn't expecting to hear back for a while but I didn't think it would be 7 months later in February 2021 😂 Regardless, it shows it really can be worth applying if you can, even to firms with a small intake!

Happy to help anyone with anything so just pop into my DM :)

So that's countless applications, 6 ACs, 1 Vac scheme and 1 TC. More than anything, man am I relieved 😂

View attachment 3480
    I'm proud of you. Congratulations!

Reactions: djqb
    A

Anon 11031

Hi all, I thought I'd make a post re. my journey as I've pretty much been on TCLA since I became serious about a career in commercial law. Not too long ago I was offered a direct TC with Goodwin Procter and today have received the official letter. I am so thankful to each and everyone on here I've received help and advice from because I can guarantee I wouldn't have got it without TCLA. And of course, thank you to Jaysen for creating this incredible platform.

University wasn't even a path I had envisioned for myself growing up because I wasn't the best at school, largely due to seeing domestic violence, alcohol abuse, financial strains behind closed doors, and also not having the best friendship group. Only after going to a sixth-form out of town and surrounding myself with better people I realised the opportunities available. It's been a hell of a ride since but I just wanted people with a similar background to not feel like their background determines where you end up, no matter how out of place we may feel at times!

Also, wanted to drop this below to hopefully help motivate people to make the last push for the 31st deadline. This was following a rejection post-vac scheme. I did say I wasn't expecting to hear back for a while but I didn't think it would be 7 months later in February 2021 😂 Regardless, it shows it really can be worth applying if you can, even to firms with a small intake!

Happy to help anyone with anything so just pop into my DM :)

So that's countless applications, 6 ACs, 1 Vac scheme and 1 TC. More than anything, man am I relieved 😂

View attachment 3480
    Incredible work - I'm so happy for you! :)

Georgina Evans

Valued Member
  • Jul 25, 2019
    I don’t think there is anything you can do. They have clearly delayed for a reason and would have considered other options like an email or someone else calling you if that was appropriate/feasible.

These type of things happen all the time unfortunately, and especially with things like Covid, disruption can happen far too quickly. I would focus on putting your attention elsewhere for the time being and waiting until the call next week.
    Thanks Jessica appreciate the advice!

N.9

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    Hi everyone, I'm working on the Macfarlanes app. atm and I'm in a bit of a predicament with one of the questions:

'YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS
    Please provide details of 1-3 achievements or activities that demonstrate the qualities we look for in a Macfarlanes trainee. You may include both academic and non-academic achievements.'

So, the question includes activities, but its focus is on achievement. One of the achievements I'd like to use is one with a teamwork/collaborative focus, but my most recent example of such isn't really an 'achievement' - it's merely we (as a team) achieved what was asked of us; there is no tangible achievement, such as if I used an example like a uni presentation in which we were awarded a first. I don't want to use the latter example, because it was 5 years ago, and another example I could use which does have a tangible outcome/achievement (procuring a successful verdict for a client in a criminal case) was also 5 years ago.

Do you think I can use the first example (which occurred this year) and relates to a complicated commercial case despite it not having an 'achievement' element? Or is it better to use an example that does, despite them being so long ago?

Any thoughts appreciated, and would love @Jessica Booker 's opinion too!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone, I'm working on the Macfarlanes app. atm and I'm in a bit of a predicament with one of the questions:

'YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS
    Please provide details of 1-3 achievements or activities that demonstrate the qualities we look for in a Macfarlanes trainee. You may include both academic and non-academic achievements.'

So, the question includes activities, but its focus is on achievement. One of the achievements I'd like to use is one with a teamwork/collaborative focus, but my most recent example of such isn't really an 'achievement' - it's merely we (as a team) achieved what was asked of us; there is no tangible achievement, such as if I used an example like a uni presentation in which we were awarded a first. I don't want to use the latter example, because it was 5 years ago, and another example I could use which does have a tangible outcome/achievement (procuring a successful verdict for a client in a criminal case) was also 5 years ago.

Do you think I can use the first example (which occurred this year) and relates to a complicated commercial case despite it not having an 'achievement' element? Or is it better to use an example that does, despite them being so long ago?

Yes - perfectly fine to use the first example. There is still an achievement in there.

Reactions: N.9

karinny

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 17, 2021
    Has anyone done the Kennedys final partner interview for the training contract (and SQE)?

Not really sure what to expect, this will be my second strengths based interview with them and I found the first one quite hard (I'm surprised I even made it past that stage) but would love to hear of any previous experiences!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi everyone. For my upcoming AC I have to give a presentation on a fairly niche topic (in light of Brexit, should Scotland be able to have another referendum & what should the questions be). I know that I'll have to state my opinion, present both sides of the argument & back up mine, answer the questions and relate it back to the firm, but does anyone have any other suggestions on the structure? Any help is appreciated :)
    My main suggestion is not to overcomplicate it - these sorts of presentations are best kept straightforward and simple, with plenty of signposting and a clear, easy to follow line of argument with some nuance in analysis. Bear in mind time constraints, practise speaking to time and build in time for interruptions if necessary, research well but equally don't drown yourself in data.

Remember that, even though you have to come to a conclusion, you should avoid being enormously political here - easy for me to say that, it's one of the debates I'm absolutely the most passionate about - but you need to bear in mind your assessors may fall on either side of the debate and, frankly, you don't want to give someone an excuse not to assess you in a good light.

Finally, remember to relate key points back to the firm - it's easy to get caught up in the politics and arguments, but if you forget the law firm part you're making yourself fight a massively uphill battle.

Reactions: RkRk0681

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

'YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS

I agree with Jess that this example is absolutely fine. Achievements aren't always big, shiny, gold-plated blockbusters - in a commercial law setting, achievements aren't always spectacular either - an achievement might be helping an associate deliver a letter on time, filing a bunch of documents correctly etc. Applications are all about proving that you're a safe pair of hands for the firm - a safe investment. Often, that's shown through nothing more than consistent quality in what you do.

Reactions: djqb and N.9

N.9

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    I agree with Jess that this example is absolutely fine. Achievements aren't always big, shiny, gold-plated blockbusters - in a commercial law setting, achievements aren't always spectacular either - an achievement might be helping an associate deliver a letter on time, filing a bunch of documents correctly etc. Applications are all about proving that you're a safe pair of hands for the firm - a safe investment. Often, that's shown through nothing more than consistent quality in what you do.
    Thank you very much, Jacob - you're right, it all holds true. I'll try to remember that going forward too!

Reactions: Jacob Miller
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.