2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RkRk0681

Star Member
  • Mar 16, 2021
    My main suggestion is not to overcomplicate it - these sorts of presentations are best kept straightforward and simple, with plenty of signposting and a clear, easy to follow line of argument with some nuance in analysis. Bear in mind time constraints, practise speaking to time and build in time for interruptions if necessary, research well but equally don't drown yourself in data.

Remember that, even though you have to come to a conclusion, you should avoid being enormously political here - easy for me to say that, it's one of the debates I'm absolutely the most passionate about - but you need to bear in mind your assessors may fall on either side of the debate and, frankly, you don't want to give someone an excuse not to assess you in a good light.

Finally, remember to relate key points back to the firm - it's easy to get caught up in the politics and arguments, but if you forget the law firm part you're making yourself fight a massively uphill battle.
    This is very helpful, thank you for your guidance :)

Penelope

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 2
  • Aug 14, 2019
    How long ago did you hear from them? Slightly confusing as they didn't say anyone was doing interviews or whatever until this month, even though their deadline was May
    I applied in May and was invited to first interview a week later (I posted on here at the time). The firm recruits on a rolling basis

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Do firms take on less people at each stage for direct TC now in comparison to the vacation scheme?
    Depends on the firm. Ratios of assessments to candidates will be about the same at each stage from interview onwards, but it just depends on whether the firm recruits more heavily from vacation schemes or not. Some do, some don’t.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Legalmel_99

Sabotage

Future Trainee
  • Sep 7, 2020
    Received a call today from a partner and was informed that I got a TC at Slaughter and May!!

I feel super happy especially given that I was an international student and it was extremely difficult to get through the applications stage.

I applied for 2 cycles and after literally dozens of rejections only a few applications were successful. Anyway, what is important is only getting only one right and it's amazing to achieve something like this despite the odds.

Many thanks to the forum for a lot of advice that I was able to pick up here and also for motivational stories that kept my head high whenever I started doubting myself.

On to the TC adventure!

SS1

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 5, 2020
    Received a call today from a partner and was informed that I got a TC at Slaughter and May!!

I feel super happy especially given that I was an international student and it was extremely difficult to get through the applications stage.

I applied for 2 cycles and after literally dozens of rejections only a few applications were successful. Anyway, what is important is only getting only one right and it's amazing to achieve something like this despite the odds.

Many thanks to the forum for a lot of advice that I was able to pick up here and also for motivational stories that kept my head high whenever I started doubting myself.

On to the TC adventure!
    Well done!! Congratulations 🎉🥳🥳🎉

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

On to the TC adventure!
    Congratulations! Amazing news

Well Done Congrats GIF by America's Got Talent

Reactions: djqb and Sabotage

sm2020

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 2, 2021

On to the TC adventure!
    Massive congratulations! Can I DM you for some advice as I have my interview with them coming up?

Reactions: Sabotage
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.