2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiancaM

Distinguished Member
  • Apr 10, 2021
    Received a call today from a partner and was informed that I got a TC at Slaughter and May!!

I feel super happy especially given that I was an international student and it was extremely difficult to get through the applications stage.

I applied for 2 cycles and after literally dozens of rejections only a few applications were successful. Anyway, what is important is only getting only one right and it's amazing to achieve something like this despite the odds.

Many thanks to the forum for a lot of advice that I was able to pick up here and also for motivational stories that kept my head high whenever I started doubting myself.

On to the TC adventure!
    wow congratulations!!! that is such good news :)
    i was wondering if you could clarify what you meant by difficulties of applying as an international student? do you mean representing your overseas qualification as UCAS equivalent? or were you going through the stages of the interview process remotely?
    thank you in advance!

Reactions: Sabotage

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    L&W VI invite received this evening, anyone got any advice they can give me?

This is the first recorded VI I have been invited to in a long time and the first for a TC, the previous one was for a scholarship so a bit different.
    Congratulations! I'm now anxiously refreshing the application portal.... Could I ask when you applied? :)

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    I'm turning into a bit of a broken record but has anyone heard from Hogan Lovells for direct TC after submitting the app / with WG? Last year, I was sent WG immediately so slightly concerned it's been 10 days and have had nothing.

Sabotage

Future Trainee
  • Sep 7, 2020
    wow congratulations!!! that is such good news :)
    i was wondering if you could clarify what you meant by difficulties of applying as an international student? do you mean representing your overseas qualification as UCAS equivalent? or were you going through the stages of the interview process remotely?
    thank you in advance!
    I meant more along the lines of some law firms preferring students who actually studied on LLB in the UK (which I did not)

Reactions: BiancaM

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    At about 11:30pm on the deadline day. I was surprised to have heard so soon. Especially as I’m still waiting for firms I applied to several months earlier.
    Dang, I applied the day before so hope I hear back soon. Also still waiting on an application that I turned in back in early May..... Fingers crossed!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all, i hope u’re all well 😊 Please may I know if most law firms are signatories of the ‘Voluntary code of recruitment for trainee solicitors’, and are thus obligated to follow it about its timeline to accept TC offers? Maybe @Jessica Booker is best positioned to answer this. Thank you! 😊

https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/en/to...ry-code-of-recruitment-for-trainee-solicitors
    It’s a voluntary code - so no one is obligated to keep to it unfortunately. It seems these days fewer firms are following it too given the deadlines I have heard many firms giving this summer.

But if a firm doesn’t stick to it, then you don’t have to as a candidate either. You can just accept and then renege offers should that be something you have to do given short acceptance deadlines you are given.

Reactions: Bee6
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.