2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiancaR

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 12
  • Jun 8, 2020
    Can anyone lend advice on what to include in a thank you email to a partner following an interview? My interview ran a little bit long so I feel slightly guilty, but want to reach out right away and thank them for their time!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Can anyone lend advice on what to include in a thank you email to a partner following an interview? My interview ran a little bit long so I feel slightly guilty, but want to reach out right away and thank them for their time!
    I would suggest a very succinct, specific thank you email.

Really, I'd just avoid being too long in your email or too informal. Otherwise, simply thanking them for their time is fine!

em311

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 15, 2019
    I submitted my Freshfields app on 11th July and my portal was updated on 16th but I haven't had any emails...I know they're sending out WG invites so is this a bad sign it's been updated and I haven't received anything? :confused:

Abgaal

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    May 24, 2019
    I submitted my Freshfields app on 11th July and my portal was updated on 16th but I haven't had any emails...I know they're sending out WG invites so is this a bad sign it's been updated and I haven't received anything? :confused:
    Me to but I applied on the 13th and it mentions that my portal was updated on the 16th. Don’t know if that’s good news or bad news

• Sad
    Reactions: em311

Tcapplicant

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2019
    @Jessica Booker i would love your view on something! Within my role I work closely with a number of Partners at law firms I want to apply to. My team are really supportive and helping me apply for TCs so there wouldn’t be any issues with doing this. I worked recently with a partner at a law firm of a firm I did an application for. I hate leaning on people for help but I wondered how it would look if I was to drop him a message and essentially ask him his thoughts on the firm? I guess the end goal is try make connections within the senior management of the firm so something good might come of it. Does that actually happen?

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    @Jessica Booker i would love your view on something! Within my role I work closely with a number of Partners at law firms I want to apply to. My team are really supportive and helping me apply for TCs so there wouldn’t be any issues with doing this. I worked recently with a partner at a law firm of a firm I did an application for. I hate leaning on people for help but I wondered how it would look if I was to drop him a message and essentially ask him his thoughts on the firm? I guess the end goal is try make connections within the senior management of the firm so something good might come of it. Does that actually happen?
    I am in a similar position and have actually reached out to a number of partners to learn about their firms and their careers. It has been moderately helpful – for example, through one connection I was able to have a chat with the recruitment partner at the firm and got feedback on my application which I would not normally have been given. Having said that, training contract recruitment is very centralised and partners don’t have enough pull to actually get someone a TC anymore. If you approach it from the point of view of learning about being a solicitor or getting inside information on the firm, then it’s really useful, but don’t expect help in the actual process

Reactions: Jessica Booker

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    In an application under mitigating circumstances, can you mention that a close relative had died due to Covid-19 which disrupted your studies as well as you also contracting Covid-19 which further affected your studies?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It doesn’t tend to happen where recruitment is centralised. One partner doesn’t tend to over influence the process (unless the firm is very small, and there are only a handful of partners).

I am not sure what you are asking from for the partner here. You are saying you want their thoughts on the firm, but it sounds like you have already applied. You could do this if you were invited to interview and to get their insight to prepare for an interview, but at this stage it seems like the you have considered this a little too late. By going to the partner now, it comes across as you aren’t really looking for insight into the firm, you are looking for a leg up to an application you have already made.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.