Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just received an invite for Freshfields WG, however they've given me a deadline of this Friday @5pm. @Jessica Booker do you think I would be able to request an extension? I work full time, and I feel like this is not much notice...
I suspect it will be a no based on you not having circumstances that would prevent you from taking the test. Extensions tend to only be given if you can’t take the test. Managing your time to complete the test is something all candidates will be expected to consider/factor in.

But there is no harm in asking and seeing whether they can extend it or not.

Reactions: syw

Willbur

Apr 26, 2021
Harbottle - end of July for decisions on initial applications.
Hello - I had an email saying 'we will let all candidates know the outcome of their application by the end of July 2021' but have still heard nothing. Have you? I didn't get my application in until end of May but am not sure how to read this silence....maybe I have fallen off a spreadsheet somewhere...

A

Anon 11031

Has anyone heard back from norton rose? applied about a month ago but no news.... Have been rejected already from 6 out of 12 of the TC applications I made. Feeling hopeless. In all my tc/vac scheme/first year scheme applications I've only ever made it to the next stage once. While my TC applications this summer have been soooo much better than the applications I used to submit in the past I'm getting really worried that I am not going to get a training contract. I just completed second year of my LLB at LSE and my average is 63... is that a score thats low enough for an automatic rejection?
Hey, I'm really sorry this has happened to you - rejection always hurts no matter what stage it is at! 😔

I really don't think that 63 is a low enough score for an automatic rejection. For most firms this will meet the minimum threshold and they won't put you in the 'no' pile purely on this reason alone.

Grades only provide a small insight into who you are, and make up a fraction of the firm's internal assessment of you as a candidate. From your application a law firm wants to understand what your motivations are for this career, what transferrable skills you have picked up and what you can bring to them as a trainee.

It would be hard for me to say what might be going wrong with your applications, as I've not seen them (nor am I an expert) but it might be worth trying to do the following -

- think about your motivations for this career and try to be authentic with what they are (I have learnt that saying what you think people want to hear never works too well!);
- try to think introspectively about what you can bring and what you have learned from other experiences (whether this is a committee role, part time job, extracurricular...);
- try to be specific when expressing why you want to work for X firm. For example, don't just say "I want to work for you because you have a strong technology team" try to detail recent work they may have done, or developments they have made in the area; and
- get your family or a friend to read your applications, they'll be able to tell you how your tone sounds and spot any spelling/grammar mistakes - which is crucial.

You also mentioned that you've just finished your second year of studies, which would indicate that this is your first full cycle of vac/TC applications. Many people (including lots on this forum) don't secure a training contract until they've been through a number of cycles. Don't be hard on yourself if you don't make it this time. There is a substantial amount of luck involved in this process and, as I'm sure you know, this year has been particularly competitive.

Be kind to yourself and try to be confident in your own capabilities, you will make it - even if it's not this cycle! ✨

Last edited by a moderator:

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 3, 2021
Hey, I'm really sorry this has happened to you - rejection always hurts no matter what stage it is at! 😔

I really don't think that 63 is a low enough score for an automatic rejection. For most firms this will meet the minimum threshold and they won't put you in the 'no' pile purely on this reason alone.

Grades only provide a small insight into who you are, and make up a fraction of the firm's internal assessment of you as a candidate. From your application a law firm wants to understand what your motivations are for this career, what transferrable skills you have picked up and what you can bring to them as a trainee.

It would be hard for me to say what might be going wrong with your applications, as I've not seen them (nor am I an expert) but it might be worth trying to do the following -

- think about your motivations for this career and try to be authentic with what they are (I have learnt that saying what you think people want to hear never works too well!);
- try to think introspectively about what you can bring and what you have learned from other experiences (whether this is a committee role, part time job, extracurricular...);
- try to be specific when expressing why you want to work for X firm. For example, don't just say "I want to work for you because you have a strong technology team" try to detail recent work they may have done, or developments they have made in the area; and
- get your family or a friend to read your applications, they'll be able to tell you how your tone sounds and spot any spelling/grammar mistakes - which is crucial.

You also mentioned that you've just finished your second year of studies, which would indicate that this is your first full cycle of vac/TC applications. Many people (including lots on this forum) don't secure a training contract until they've been through a number of cycles. Don't be hard on yourself if you don't make it this time. There is a substantial amount of luck involved in this process and, as I'm sure you know, this year has been particularly competitive.

Be kind to yourself and try to be confident in your own capabilities, you will make it - even if it's not this cycle! ✨
Thank you for the support. I know it can take countless of application cycles but it definitely gets discouraging. I guess we just have to all stay positive!

AW_08

Valued Member
Dec 20, 2019
Sorry to keep asking the same sort of questions, but did anyone apply to Ropes & Gray for their direct TC starting Sept 2021? The deadline was Sunday and I was just wondering what the timeline is/what comes after the application!

N.9

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    I had a final interview for a TC last Thursday and I haven't heard back yet, when would it be reasonable to ask for an update? I'm just extremely anxious and I'm constantly checking my emails to see whether I have the PFO email
    Hiya. I would say this is a bit early to be asking (though I understand your agony). Did the firm give you any indication as to when you might hear by?

Reactions: miso
    A

Anon 11031

I had a final interview for a TC last Thursday and I haven't heard back yet, when would it be reasonable to ask for an update? I'm just extremely anxious and I'm constantly checking my emails to see whether I have the PFO email
    If you don't mind me asking, which firm was this?

I wouldn't ask for an update just yet. It might also be worth acknowledging that, at this stage, the firm may call you with the outcome so don't stress yourself out checking your emails (easier said than done, I know!). It has only been 3 working days, sometimes these things (dependant on firm) take weeks.

Just try your best to switch off from this and focus on something else - if you don't hear anything by say the end of next week, then get in touch with them :)

miso

Jun 4, 2021
    Hiya. I would say this is a bit early to be asking (though I understand your agony). Did the firm give you any indication as to when you might hear by?
    If you don't mind me asking, which firm was this?

I wouldn't ask for an update just yet. It might also be worth acknowledging that, at this stage, the firm may call you with the outcome so don't stress yourself out checking your emails (easier said than done, I know!). It has only been 3 working days, sometimes these things (dependant on firm) take weeks.

Just try your best to switch off from this and focus on something else - if you don't hear anything by say the end of next week, then get in touch with them :)
    Thanks both! No they didn't mention when they will get back to me but after the VI and AC they got back to me pretty quickly!

Thank you so much though, I will try my best to chill and just have some more patience :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: N.9 and Anon 11031

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Sorry to keep asking the same sort of questions, but did anyone apply to Ropes & Gray for their direct TC starting Sept 2021? The deadline was Sunday and I was just wondering what the timeline is/what comes after the application!
    I did but I think it is too early to have a response

Reactions: AW_08

RoughWood

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Feb 24, 2021
    Thanks both! No they didn't mention when they will get back to me but after the VI and AC they got back to me pretty quickly!

Thank you so much though, I will try my best to chill and just have some more patience :)
    I completely understand how you are feeling! I had an AC and final stage interview (my first at that) on the 14th and they said they would let me know end of July/beginning of August....obsessively making sure I have phone signal..

• 🤝
    Reactions: miso and Anon 11031

N.9

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021

Ah I see. Well sit tight a little longer - hope you hear from them soon!

SamTam99

Legendary Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Just recieved an invite from AG to do their voice recorded interview. Can anyone share the sort of questions they had or any helpful tips? Thank you!
    Very standard video interview, nothing out of the ordinary at all!

My top tip would be read the business news as from memory there is a commercial awareness question in there :)

Yas_1

Jul 29, 2021
    Has anybody that has done the Freshfields WG had confirmation they completed the test or found a way to check it has been submitted with no issues? Just completed mine today and can’t see a way of checking that it’s been completed!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.