TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
An example isn’t a position. An example will be a project within a position, and so it sounds like you could actually be using different examples anyway.
Just a follow-up question here, please. I am in a similar situation and I wanted to ask you, wouldn't you feel that the person hasn't done a lot of things if he is mentioning most skills from a single piece of work experience? I mean I understand that the person would've worked on a number of projects during their stint but how would you as a grad rec member feel if you get to hear, time and time again, the name of the same employer?

Iris best

Distinguished Member
Oct 29, 2020
Hey everyone !
I have been unsuccessful in the most recent cycle in all my applications and I was just looking for any suggestions for how to improve my firm research- it feels so hard to write convincingly about each firms difference and I was wondering if anyone has any resources or general tips?

thanks

Iris best

Distinguished Member
Oct 29, 2020
What is everyone’s view on including personal struggles (ie mental health) as an answer on applications, or incorporated into a larger answer?

I’ve personally always been hesitating to include any

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just a follow-up question here, please. I am in a similar situation and I wanted to ask you, wouldn't you feel that the person hasn't done a lot of things if he is mentioning most skills from a single piece of work experience? I mean I understand that the person would've worked on a number of projects during their stint but how would you as a grad rec member feel if you get to hear, time and time again, the name of the same employer?
It depends on the nature of the work experience. If it is a year long placement I would expect multiple examples to come from it compared to a week’s work experience.

Yes, it is best to try and use varied examples. But if your strongest answers come from a work experience that is clearly much more challenging and has been done for a longer period of time, it would be crazy just to use other examples that are not as strong just for fear of not presenting variety. Your application will show variety with what you have done more broadly anyway.

In short, you should use your best example(s) that the question is asking of you.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What is everyone’s view on including personal struggles (ie mental health) as an answer on applications, or incorporated into a larger answer?

The reality is it’s a very personal decision on whether to include them or not. I have seen very similar circumstances presented in very different ways - some candidates do it very well, others can actually cause a lot of concern and worry.

For any situation/characteristic that could be perceived as negative, you have to focus on the positive outcomes and why you are in a stronger position now. There is little point over detailing the negative aspects, it’s more about focusing on why this has led to a better outcome.

Also try to avoid blame. Often candidates can put blame on others for circumstances, and even if others are to blame, an application isn’t really a place to go into that detail.

Reactions: Jaysen
D

Deleted member 2707

I wrote a whole answer on my battle with depression for my Macfarlanes application and there was no prejudice at all on my end. You can check if their a Disability Confident employer on this link for further assurance!

psr23

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Sep 15, 2020
Has anyone else applied for Corporate & Securities Paralegal with Dechert?
Yes I applied about 3 weeks ago - I had no communication from them (not even to confirm receipt of my application!) so I emailed them to ask if they had received it. They said it was under review and I would hear from them by that Friday if I was being invited to interview. That was a week ago now, I haven't heard so assuming its unsuccessful!

H

Jan 26, 2020
Hi all, not sure if this is the correct thread for this so apologies if not! I just wanted to gather some thoughts.

When I was offered a TC, I asked if I could defer my start date by 6 months - I was concerned I might be burnt out doing the GDL, LPC MSc and then going straight into the TC with at most only a few weeks off. Historically, my mental health takes a huge hit with exams and takes some time to bounce back. My firm originally said no, so I put the thought to the back of my mind and just got on with it. Now they've told me I can defer if I like, but need to let them know by Monday.

This doesn't impact my qualification route. I will still be doing the LPC MSc, but it means instead of a few weeks off I get a good few months between my studies and my TC. However, with the pandemic, I'm not sure how I would make the most of this 6 months off. I can't make solid travel plans yet, and I would probably have to apply for some short term paralegal roles (not sure how successful I'd be though since I know they're competitive and I have zero paralegal experience). So although I'll probably be less burnt out, the uncertainty of what I'll do in those 6 months is a bit daunting.

I would also miss the opportunity to start my TC at the same time as a few people I'll be doing the LPC with - I know this is not major, but it would be nice to see some friendly faces on the first day. On the other hand, besides this opportunity, it might be a while since I can get a break this long once I actually start working.

Sorry this is so long, but any thoughts about whether I should defer or not would be hugely appreciated! Thanks so much.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all, not sure if this is the correct thread for this so apologies if not! I just wanted to gather some thoughts.

When I was offered a TC, I asked if I could defer my start date by 6 months - I was concerned I might be burnt out doing the GDL, LPC MSc and then going straight into the TC with at most only a few weeks off. Historically, my mental health takes a huge hit with exams and takes some time to bounce back. My firm originally said no, so I put the thought to the back of my mind and just got on with it. Now they've told me I can defer if I like, but need to let them know by Monday.

This doesn't impact my qualification route. I will still be doing the LPC MSc, but it means instead of a few weeks off I get a good few months between my studies and my TC. However, with the pandemic, I'm not sure how I would make the most of this 6 months off. I can't make solid travel plans yet, and I would probably have to apply for some short term paralegal roles (not sure how successful I'd be though since I know they're competitive and I have zero paralegal experience). So although I'll probably be less burnt out, the uncertainty of what I'll do in those 6 months is a bit daunting.

I would also miss the opportunity to start my TC at the same time as a few people I'll be doing the LPC with - I know this is not major, but it would be nice to see some friendly faces on the first day. On the other hand, besides this opportunity, it might be a while since I can get a break this long once I actually start working.

Sorry this is so long, but any thoughts about whether I should defer or not would be hugely appreciated! Thanks so much.
Sounds like it is a very personal decision here based on your circumstances. There’s clearly going to be no impact on your career.

This might be the last time in a long time you can take six months off though. As long as you can manage it financially, I wouldn’t necessarily think you need to either work or travel, there’s a million and one things you could choose to do in six months (learn a new skill, pursue a hobby, put off everything you have put off previously through lack of time). Sounds like that time could be just used to spend some time off, relax and recover too.

Reactions: Holly

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi @Jessica Booker I am currently applying for an in-house training contract at a global Asset Management. They are requesting a CV but cover letter is not mandatory. I was wondering if you could advise me on how to best approach the application process.I have a wide paralegal experience but not much in the corporate area.
Thank you in advance for your help

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker I am currently applying for an in-house training contract at a global Asset Management. They are requesting a CV but cover letter is not mandatory. I was wondering if you could advise me on how to best approach the application process.I have a wide paralegal experience but not much in the corporate area.
Thank you in advance for your help
Are there application questions alongside the CV or is it just a CV?

H

Jan 26, 2020
Sounds like it is a very personal decision here based on your circumstances. There’s clearly going to be no impact on your career.

This might be the last time in a long time you can take six months off though. As long as you can manage it financially, I wouldn’t necessarily think you need to either work or travel, there’s a million and one things you could choose to do in six months (learn a new skill, pursue a hobby, put off everything you have put off previously through lack of time). Sounds like that time could be just used to spend some time off, relax and recover too.

Thanks so much for responding Jessica! That's a perspective that I hadn't really entertained, so thank you and I will keep that in mind :)

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Typical cover letter - why the organisation, why the firm, why you (doesn’t necessarily have to be in the order, but should cover those three aspects).
Sorry if I sound ignorant,

What do you mean "why the organisation, why the firm? Aren't they the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.