Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
I’d be surprised if you got asked this question. There is a huge amount of differences between UK firms, same for US. Some US firms will be more like UK firms than they will their US counterparts. I honestly don’t think there is an answer for this beyond one category originating from the US and another originating from the UK.

But if you were asked it, then I wouldn’t cover why you prefer one over the over for that same reason. You just are only going to say generalisations, some of which won’t necessarily be accurate. You could explain which US firms and which UK firms you were interested in and the similarities between them, but even that would make your answer quite long winded and won’t actually mean you are answering the original question posed.
Thanks for your response. I had actually seen this question in a TCLA Premium course so I thought it was important.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for your response. I had actually seen this question in a TCLA Premium course so I thought it was important.
It maybe that the question has been asked by a firm before. It’s just an awful question which in the vast majority of cases is only going to get an awful answer 😂

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
It maybe that the question has been asked by a firm before. It’s just an awful question which in the vast majority of cases is only going to get an awful answer 😂
Got it. Thanks again. Just a follow-up question, please. I know that we have had a similar discussion on the forum but I still needed a conclusive answer from you. The TCLA Premium courses have a lot of questions that were not asked in interviews of certain firms (based on the firm-specific interview questions available on TCLA). Also, understandably, the questions that CC asks are going to be different from those of Linklaters and Freshfields.

My question here is that, to what extent can we prepare for these interview questions. I know for sure that I just won't be able to prep for all these questions in the days between being invited to the AC and the date of the AC but then, I can't prep for all the questions for all the firms beforehand, I just don't have the time for that and honestly I feel nobody would.

What am I doing wrong here?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Got it. Thanks again. Just a follow-up question, please. I know that we have had a similar discussion on the forum but I still needed a conclusive answer from you. The TCLA Premium courses have a lot of questions that were not asked in interviews of certain firms (based on the firm-specific interview questions available on TCLA). Also, understandably, the questions that CC asks are going to be different from those of Linklaters and Freshfields.

My question here is that, to what extent can we prepare for these interview questions. I know for sure that I just won't be able to prep for all these questions in the days between being invited to the AC and the date of the AC but then, I can't prep for all the questions for all the firms beforehand, I just don't have the time for that and honestly I feel nobody would.

What am I doing wrong here?
A lot of being a lawyer is thinking on your feet. Therefore many interview questions are going to be designed to test this ability - and you won’t be able to prepare for them. So you aren’t doing anything wrong.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

djqb

Legendary Member
Sep 6, 2020
@Jessica Booker at the upcoming Legal Cheek virtual law fair, would it be fair to ask a graduate recruiter regarding applying in the upcoming 2021/22 cycle, if one is yet to hear back from an application from the 2020/21 cycle?

For reference, the firm opens its applications in October, but I still have a direct TC application ongoing with them, which they are yet to get back to me about post WG.

If I ask this question I'll obviously make it clear to the graduate recruiter that I'm yet to hear back about the earlier application, but would it be rude to essentially ask a question about the status of your application (in light of the new cycle) opening up, on a public forum like the virtual law fair?

Thanks

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker at the upcoming Legal Cheek virtual law fair, would it be fair to ask a graduate recruiter regarding applying in the upcoming 2021/22 cycle, if one is yet to hear back from an application from the 2020/21 cycle?

For reference, the firm opens its applications in October, but I still have a direct TC application ongoing with them, which they are yet to get back to me about post WG.

If I ask this question I'll obviously make it clear to the graduate recruiter that I'm yet to hear back about the earlier application, but would it be rude to essentially ask a question about the status of your application (in light of the new cycle) opening up, on a public forum like the virtual law fair?

Thanks
Perfectly fine to ask.

Reactions: djqb

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019

Thanks
Could you please DM me. I have a question regarding this but I can't see the option to message you personally.

Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I hope you are well.

How common is it for candidates to have accepted a TC but still keep applying elsewhere/renege on a TC? I have been offered a TC to start in 2024 (which is pretty much the start date for a TC if I reapply in the upcoming recruitment cycle) at a firm that doesn't quite align with my career ambition. I have accumulated professional experience in a particular industry that I hope to build upon during my TC but the firm that has offered me a TC doesn't really provide such an offering. Having had my fair amount of rejections, I completely understand how difficult it is to get a TC in the first place but still have my concerns. I would love to learn from you and hear your advice.

Thank you very much!
It isn’t really common as such, but it does happen. When it does, it is typically before you receive any financial support from the firm (eg before they sign you up to the GDL/LPC/SQE or give you any funding/bursaries/grants).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you very much for your insight. Could I ask is there any repercussion to doing that? Also, how likely is it that the firm I have signed a TC with will realise that I have applied elsewhere?

Thank you very much once again.
The only way they’d find out if you told them or you publicly stated that was your intention (eg you start posting on LinkedIn about attending events or applying in the next cycle etc).

The only repercussions are likely to be if you receive financial support from the firm. Otherwise the firm hasn’t really “lost” anything so it’s not like they will seek any damages from a contractual perspective. The worst repercussion is that your reputation for reneging sticks with the firm and the people who work there (and obviously if they move to different firms). But most people will just be relieved you reneged ahead of starting a TC rather than not being a truly motivated trainee, and so tend to not hold too much of a grudge on those who do renege.

D

Deleted member 2707

Hi Jessica, so sorry to bother again but I was wondering would obtaining a worker visa be more difficult if I've taken a gap between completing the SQE/LPC and starting work? For reference I've indicated that I would like to join the March intake and will take a 8 month gap to do some further studies after my SQE. Will this make obtaining a visa more complicated/difficult as I won't be transitioning from a student visa to a work visa?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, so sorry to bother again but I was wondering would obtaining a worker visa be more difficult if I've taken a gap between completing the SQE/LPC and starting work? For reference I've indicated that I would like to join the March intake and will take a 8 month gap to do some further studies after my SQE. Will this make obtaining a visa more complicated/difficult as I won't be transitioning from a student visa to a work visa?
Have replied in the other thread.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker is it okay to put a open day in my cv as legal work experience but before it takes place? As i want to apply for another scheme before the open day in November.
Personally I wouldn’t, as it hasn’t happened yet. I’d put it in a separate section as it isn’t really work experience.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
okay thanks, I have another section "interests and achievements", would it be suitable in this sections as "open day offer from x firm in November 2021"
Or you could create another section for events (especially if you have other open days/conferences/careers events you have attended).

If you do list it, it can just be

Open Day - Law Firm Name (November 2021)

Reactions: k.k

Gus Courtauld

Standard Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Jun 30, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker was wondering if you could help me out with understanding the SQE?

From what i understand tasing the SQE 1 and 2 will still take 2 years to complete (as in the past with the GDL and LPC). But I was wondering what is the shortest amount of time that one can do this in and if i were to get a training contract this year whether law firms enable you to do it in say 1 year and 3 months even if they are funding it?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker was wondering if you could help me out with understanding the SQE?

From what i understand tasing the SQE 1 and 2 will still take 2 years to complete (as in the past with the GDL and LPC). But I was wondering what is the shortest amount of time that one can do this in and if i were to get a training contract this year whether law firms enable you to do it in say 1 year and 3 months even if they are funding it?
It doesn’t necessarily take two years to complete as it is just a set of exams. Technical no course is needed (eg you could technically learn the content needed through being self taught). It also depends on the firms approach to when you start the TC. Some firms are doing the SQE during the TC, some are saying you do SQE1 before starting and will do SQE2 before your qualifying work experience is up. Others are saying you need to do SQE 1 and 2 before starting.

So technically it could be 0 days needed.

Reactions: Jaysen

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me, for a question that asks us the differences between a Share Purchase and an asset purchase, basically something as specific, can we also include the basic definitions plus the pros and cons of each, or would that be rambling?

I have a lot of questions on similar lines, but basically, if I think of answering the question to the point, I feel like it will be a pretty short answer but if I think of adding neighbouring details, I fear that this might reflect poorly since the interviewers never asked for the extra details. So, what would you advice generally?

Thanks.

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I hope this message finds you well.

Would you say that the 'Head Start' Programme at Shearman & Sterling is sufficient to be placed in the work experience section of a law firm application? For context, the event is only 1 day and for first-year students only, so it's essentially a first-year open day. If not, do you think I should combine all my open days including the head start programme into one section of the application?

Thank you.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.