TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    The website says the question are these:
    1. Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you
    2. Explain why you’re interested in pursuing a career at Herbert Smith Freehills
    3. What skills, qualities and attributes would you bring to the role?

My account is locked too so take these with a pinch of salt
    Just got my account back and thank you very much and these are the questions.

Reactions: OB

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Happy Monday everyone - remember to take some breaks!
    Unimpressed Uh Huh GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

BeGrateful.101

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 1, 2021
    I believe so - get in the winter ones asap or wait to submit summer :)
    I am confused whether to submit the winter one or summer one. I believe the questions are the same for both.

But - duno if it's too late to submit for winter vac scheme :(

Little struggling with the app questions which lead me to procastinating LOL

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I am confused whether to submit the winter one or summer one. I believe the questions are the same for both.

Personally, I would apply for the summer if you are still unsure/havent started. Winter one was brutal to get on to last year and some people were just cut off in early Oct cause places had been filled. May be different this year but I think its best to spend more time on a quality app!

• ℹ️
    • 🏆
    Reactions: OB and BeGrateful.101

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020

It's exactly a month until the deadline so you would probably want to get it in within the next week or 2 for the best chance. I believe they haven't started getting back to people yet though so I wouldn't stress too much, try and pick a scheme that would work best for you!

Reactions: BeGrateful.101

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Does HSF recruit on a rolling basis for the winter VS. Also in regards to this @Jaysen is the thread about firms that recruit on a rolling basis or not is that updated. The reason for this is I don't want to ask every time which firm is rolling or not but rather look at the thread.

Last edited:

BeGrateful.101

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 1, 2021
    Personally, I would apply for the summer if you are still unsure/havent started. Winter one was brutal to get on to last year and some people were just cut off in early Oct cause places had been filled. May be different this year but I think its best to spend more time on a quality app!

Sure thank you =)

If you don't mind me asking, do you have any tips on how you would go about approaching these 2 questions :) I'm struggling on the structure - i feel like both questions are quite similar.

* Please describe the key learnings/skills you’ve gained through work experience, positions of responsibility, personal experience or extracurricular activities. (250 words)
    * Outline how you would apply these skills to the trainee role at A&O, in order to be successful. (250 words).

BeGrateful.101

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 1, 2021
    It's exactly a month until the deadline so you would probably want to get it in within the next week or 2 for the best chance. I believe they haven't started getting back to people yet though so I wouldn't stress too much, try and pick a scheme that would work best for you!
    Sure thank you :) do you know when they usually start interviewing for the summer/spring ones?

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Sure thank you =)

If you don't mind me asking, do you have any tips on how you would go about approaching these 2 questions :) I'm struggling on the structure - i feel like both questions are quite similar.

* Please describe the key learnings/skills you’ve gained through work experience, positions of responsibility, personal experience or extracurricular activities. (250 words)
    * Outline how you would apply these skills to the trainee role at A&O, in order to be successful. (250 words).
    For the first:
    1. I would focus on skills and make sure you name them. 'The three key skills I have learned in my experience are...' and then have separate paragraphs for them
    2. Make it super readable. I think they are testing how you can summarise yourself well and ensure you are concise and relevant (lawyers do this 24/7)
    Second:
    1. Make sure it flows onto the second.
    2. Demonstrate what you know about being a trainee - GREAT time for legal work experience to come through
    3. Think about the law firm's values - are they inclusive? Collaborative? etc

BeGrateful.101

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 1, 2021
    For the first:
    1. I would focus on skills and make sure you name them. 'The three key skills I have learned in my experience are...' and then have separate paragraphs for them
    2. Make it super readable. I think they are testing how you can summarise yourself well and ensure you are concise and relevant (lawyers do this 24/7)
    Second:
    1. Make sure it flows onto the second.
    2. Demonstrate what you know about being a trainee - GREAT time for legal work experience to come through
    3. Think about the law firm's values - are they inclusive? Collaborative? etc

Thank you very much for your guidance. really appreciate it 😭😭😭🥺🥺🥺🥺😍😍😍

Reactions: Celestie

C

Esteemed Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 7, 2019
    Hi! I have an upcoming assessment stage during which we have to deliver a 5 minute presentation on any topic followed by discussion with the interview panel. I was wondering if I could get help on interesting and topical subject matters to present on, which have a lot of scope for discussion? thank you :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi! I have an upcoming assessment stage during which we have to deliver a 5 minute presentation on any topic followed by discussion with the interview panel. I was wondering if I could get help on interesting and topical subject matters to present on, which have a lot of scope for discussion? thank you :)
    Just pick something you are interested in and can talk confidently about. The subject can be anything, but it needs to reflect you rather than trying to fit a mould of what you think your interviewers might want to hear.

Reactions: C and OB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.