BPP LPC help. 3Days?

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
h1, good to know.
This on the Hub announcements section might be useful for those who have not seen it - says online exams remain (unless you choose in person exams which also are possible). My twins have already chosen online as it worked fine for the PGDL and avoids risks of travel delays etc.

Dear All

I’m sure many of you saw the Legal Cheek article a week or so ago about the LPC students returning to in-person exams and I just wanted to put your mind at rest. It is correct that the SRA’s approval to run exams remotely in response to Covid-19 was only a temporary measure and the SRA made it clear that LPC providers should return to in-person exams as soon as the UK government lifted social distancing restrictions.
BPP has been successfully running online exams, via our Inspera online assessment platform, since March 2020 and we have received some very positive student feedback about the benefits of sitting exams online, e.g., sitting an exam in familiar surroundings, removes the risk of travel disruption travelling to an assessment centre, avoids the stress of mixing with other students at the assessment centres – all talking about what they have revised! We have also run student focus groups during the pandemic and the clear message from students was that they would like exams to continue online post-pandemic. BPP therefore applied to the SRA for permanent approval to run exams online (post-pandemic). BPP’s application was successful and we have approval to continue running LPC exams online. We know that online exams do not suit all students and so, as you are aware, we are offering our students the choice between online or a paper exam in an assessment centre (possibly at an external venue).

AOD

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jan 21, 2021
For those doing the LLM who also have a TC for September 2022 (if there is anyone): are you submitting the LRR project in May or August? BPP couldn't give me any clear information on whether this should affect my other results becoming available before September. They've asked me to get in touch with my firm, but they've not responded yet and the deadline to submit the early submission form is tomorrow...

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    h1, good to know.
    This on the Hub announcements section might be useful for those who have not seen it - says online exams remain (unless you choose in person exams which also are possible). My twins have already chosen online as it worked fine for the PGDL and avoids risks of travel delays etc.

Dear All

I’m sure many of you saw the Legal Cheek article a week or so ago about the LPC students returning to in-person exams and I just wanted to put your mind at rest. It is correct that the SRA’s approval to run exams remotely in response to Covid-19 was only a temporary measure and the SRA made it clear that LPC providers should return to in-person exams as soon as the UK government lifted social distancing restrictions.
    BPP has been successfully running online exams, via our Inspera online assessment platform, since March 2020 and we have received some very positive student feedback about the benefits of sitting exams online, e.g., sitting an exam in familiar surroundings, removes the risk of travel disruption travelling to an assessment centre, avoids the stress of mixing with other students at the assessment centres – all talking about what they have revised! We have also run student focus groups during the pandemic and the clear message from students was that they would like exams to continue online post-pandemic. BPP therefore applied to the SRA for permanent approval to run exams online (post-pandemic). BPP’s application was successful and we have approval to continue running LPC exams online. We know that online exams do not suit all students and so, as you are aware, we are offering our students the choice between online or a paper exam in an assessment centre (possibly at an external venue).
    Thank you Jane! Just wondering how would I be able to access the announcement section on the Hub?

Also, do you guys know how the LPC/LLM work (the one with LRR and the negotiation module)? Because I didn't opt in to it and wanted to make sure that I am sticking purely with the full-time LPC. Did those who want to do the LPC LLM have to opt-in through a form or by emailing or something?

Just wanted to make sure I dont have to do the two extra modules in the end.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    For those doing the LLM who also have a TC for September 2022 (if there is anyone): are you submitting the LRR project in May or August? BPP couldn't give me any clear information on whether this should affect my other results becoming available before September. They've asked me to get in touch with my firm, but they've not responded yet and the deadline to submit the early submission form is tomorrow...
    Hi AOD! Did you manage to send in a query or reach out to your personal tutor? Hopefully they can push back the deadline for a bit based on your circumstances - also, I think firms have a correspondence with BPP as well so if you asked your firm they might be able to assist you soon!!

Btw, just wanted to know whether you had to opt-in to do the LLM LPC (the two extra modules)? Because I don’t plan on doing the LLM LPC and am afraid that perhaps I might have to opt out or something if not I’m assumed to want to do the two extra modules.

Thanks so much AOD!

Reactions: AOD

SS1

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 5, 2020
    I'm doing the LPC/LLM in Birmingham and we were told that if we choose the August submission all results (LPC + LLM) will be available at the same time in October.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    R203: I believe people are not opted into the LLM unless they applied for that. My sons are not doing it. It might say on your original "Welcome to BPP" email what your registration is eg my sons' said - you are now registered on the LPC (rather than saying LPC/LLM).

How to find the Announcement section in the hub: Home page then on left hand side list click My Learning. Then on that page scroll down (in my twins' case it is quite a way to scroll as they have about 15 sections for the PGDL from last year still on there) to "LPC Legal Practice Course and LLM Legal Practice Course Programme Information". Then click on "Announcements and Important Information" Then on that page is an "Announcements Boards" and a blue hyperlink to "September 2021 full time London" and it is there.

0% complete

• Love
    Reactions: R203

AOD

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 21, 2021
    Hi AOD! Did you manage to send in a query or reach out to your personal tutor? Hopefully they can push back the deadline for a bit based on your circumstances - also, I think firms have a correspondence with BPP as well so if you asked your firm they might be able to assist you soon!!

Btw, just wanted to know whether you had to opt-in to do the LLM LPC (the two extra modules)? Because I don’t plan on doing the LLM LPC and am afraid that perhaps I might have to opt out or something if not I’m assumed to want to do the two extra modules.

Thanks so much AOD!
    Apologies for replying so late, I have just seen your reply.

I reached out to my personal tutor and she advised me to speak to the firm to see what they say. However, the firm hasn't replied yet, so I had to apply for early submission just to avoid issues (there was a deadline for the early submission form). I am sure I'll be fine, I will just need to be very organised with my time in March - May time, but I already have a couple of ideas around topic/arguments, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

I had to opt in when I applied for the course and BPP also double checked before sending me the final offer to study with them, so I wouldn't worry about it. If in doubt, check if you had any extra session on Friday 10th September in your timetable. Those were LLM specific. However, from what I understood from people, it's quite easy to drop the LLM even if you wanted to do it to start with.

• Love
    Reactions: R203

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    My sons, by the way, have bought "LPC Answered - Core Modules" which looks quite good and came this morning, although I am sure the BPP LPC provided materials are more than enough with which to pass and do well.

Also on the Hub today (21st) there is a new notice in the Announcements Section most of which information people will know but it does mention eg remind people to check their study planner and that this week there is " Independent Study - prepare Business Accounts Workbook Chapter 1".

It also says the Company Law Handbook will be received "very shortly" and sets out how you can access it online.

Last edited:
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: AOD and Daniel Boden

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    This will not affect most people but there is a new announcement on the Hub that there are still a lot of new people joining the course and if a current group even so remains too small they may "collapse the group"/ move people to a different group.

It also says if there is staff sickness it may be hard to tell the 9am class that in advance and that they will do all they can [particularly my sons who have to leave home before 8am to get there]. They will try to find another lecturer for the same timed session and if not may move people to a different time/day.

There is a separate message there about pro bono work too (which my son found very useful last year on the PGDL but I don't think mine will be doing it this year).
    Also it may vary from tutor to tutor but mine have been asked to email a time/date on a certain day of the week for a 13 min telephone one to one with tutor and should have a think about elective choices before then.
    One has also had a notice a book has been despatched to him - presumably Company Law Handbook. [ It arrived today]

Last edited:
    Reactions: h1

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    This will not affect most people but there is a new announcement on the Hub that there are still a lot of new people joining the course and if a current group even so remains too small they may "collapse the group"/ move people to a different group.

It also says if there is staff sickness it may be hard to tell the 9am class that in advance and that they will do all they can [particularly my sons who have to leave home before 8am to get there]. They will try to find another lecturer for the same timed session and if not may move people to a different time/day.

There is a separate message there about pro bono work too (which my son found very useful last year on the PGDL but I don't think mine will be doing it this year).
    Also it may vary from tutor to tutor but mine have been asked to email a time/date on a certain day of the week for a 13 min telephone one to one with tutor and should have a think about elective choices before then.
    One has also had a notice a book has been despatched to him - presumably Company Law Handbook. [ It arrived today]
    And his twin has today received the Company Law Handbook - so they have everything now.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    I don't think anyone has been asked to submit elective choices yet. My son did discuss his with his tutor last week and the other one is doing so later this week but I do not think it is yet time to submit the choices.

AOD

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 21, 2021
    Thanks @Jane Smith and @AOD !!!

Was just wondering whether have you heard any news about elective options choices and the submission of them? Just wanted to stay on-top of my admin haha

Thank you :)

We have not been told anything yet either. I am sure they will make sure everyone is aware when the time comes, since it's very important for them to know for timetabling purposes.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    By the way under Information on the hub there is a message about the January assessments which is very important not least because it includes the timetable. It quite long so I will not put it here but the dates are:

"Assessment Paper Date Time
    Litigation Civil Paper 1 Monday, 10 January 2022 10:00-12:00
    Civil Paper 2 Monday, 10 January 2022 15:00-15:45
    Criminal Tuesday, 11 January 2022 10:00-11:30
    Property Law & Practice Paper 1 Thursday, 13 January 2022 10:00-11:30
    Paper 2 Thursday, 13 January 2022 15:00-16:30
    Business Law & Practice Paper 1 Tuesday, 18 January 2022 10:00-12:00
    Paper 2 Wednesday, 19 January 2022 10:00-12:00

You will also be sitting your Drafting assessment on Friday, 14 January 2022 between 10:00 and 12:00. However, as Drafting is not a proctored assessment, the ‘no breaks’ rule does not apply. "

Reactions: WRM19 and AOD

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    Mocks: There is now a notice on the Hub Announcements Section about the upcoming mock exams which will be online only (even if you chose in person real exams as this is just the mocks) and which will not be proctored for the mocks (although the real thing will be so it will certainly make sense to treat them as the same). You must not take any more than the time it says (eg BLP 2 hours) from when you click "Start" as the window for the exams is a bit longer to allow for those allowed extra time but that is obviously not available to those who have not been given that extra time.

The window to take them is 22 Oct 5pm to 5pm Wed 3 November. There are 4 exams (for the 4 subjects).

Choosing Electives: The same notice says for those not sponsored by law firms a link to the elective choices survey (which is not really a "survey" but a tool to choose your electives) will be posted on the Announcements page on 22 October and you can choose electives up to 4pm on 8 November. Those sponsored by law firms will be contacted separately. I think my twins have made up their minds already and both discussed it on their tutor calls.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    Might be of interest for the BPP LPC people

"Dear all
    The recordings of the LPC Electives Panels are now available to view on Career Hub as follows:
    Corporate Panel
    Commercial Panel
    Client Services Panel

The elective survey will be available from 22 October to 8 November via the programme leader announcements. Students will be able to complete the survey to select their electives.
    All electives run subject to demand.
    The timetable option you have at the moment (eg 2 days or 3 days) will not apply in the elective term. Full time students can be scheduled anytime Monday – Friday 9am – 5.45pm.
    If you wish to discuss the combination of electives you are considering and whether this is a sensible choice, you can contact your personal tutor.
    There is also a useful guidance document about combinations of electives (note in particular the ‘illegal’ combinations) available here
    If you would like to know more about the content of individual modules you can look at the module outlines in the programme handbook which is available here on the Hub and you can also email any particular questions to the module inboxes.
    Sponsored students still need to complete the survey but will be contacted with details of their firm’s requirements.
    Please also remember you can book a careers appointment with one of our careers consultants to discuss your career plans and elective choices. "

shadow-demon

Star Member
    May 9, 2021
    Might be of interest for the BPP LPC people

"Dear all
    The recordings of the LPC Electives Panels are now available to view on Career Hub as follows:
    Corporate Panel
    Commercial Panel
    Client Services Panel

The elective survey will be available from 22 October to 8 November via the programme leader announcements. Students will be able to complete the survey to select their electives.
    All electives run subject to demand.
    The timetable option you have at the moment (eg 2 days or 3 days) will not apply in the elective term. Full time students can be scheduled anytime Monday – Friday 9am – 5.45pm.
    If you wish to discuss the combination of electives you are considering and whether this is a sensible choice, you can contact your personal tutor.
    There is also a useful guidance document about combinations of electives (note in particular the ‘illegal’ combinations) available here
    If you would like to know more about the content of individual modules you can look at the module outlines in the programme handbook which is available here on the Hub and you can also email any particular questions to the module inboxes.
    Sponsored students still need to complete the survey but will be contacted with details of their firm’s requirements.
    Please also remember you can book a careers appointment with one of our careers consultants to discuss your career plans and elective choices. "
    I'm confused? Surely if people are doing the LPC with BPP they will have been sent this or it would have been posted on the hub? I know you mean well but I think it is a bit redundant?

Reactions: OB

M&A

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Oct 5, 2019
    I'm confused? Surely if people are doing the LPC with BPP they will have been sent this or it would have been posted on the hub? I know you mean well but I think it is a bit redundant?
    Well, I find @Jane Smith 's updates v helpful as we don't get an email when an announcement has been posted in the vortex of the Hub. I log onto TCLA far more often than I do the announcement board and tend to get the updates from Jane!!!

So thank you @Jane Smith !!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.