BPP LPC help. 3Days?

AOD

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jan 21, 2021
1. h1, b thanks . Under "assessment dates" in son's case we are being shown "fast track" course dates as of this morning. We also just have fast track course exam dates under "Key Dates" still which again is wrong.

We do have the "study planner" for the LPC full time which gives exam dates for the full time September start LPC eg mocks week of 1 November. The study planner looks like the same version we saw about a week ago so hopefully that gives the correct exam dates.

2. I think my son will try to call BPP yet again today to ensure he remains in the correct group.

His twin's timetable for his correct group is today showing on Outlook via the Hub for the first time which is good progress. So may be all is now well with their move to that group (rather than being moved to a third group they do not want). . Before he could see one group on the VLE - the new 2 day a week group I think they are now both in and want to be in and another on the Hub/outlook - the original 4 day a week group.

Now what about clothes? My two are going to be very casual later in the week for the first welcome in person session. Even shorts were mentioned if it remains so hot!
I can also see the fast track assessment dates. I don't think all the documents have been updates for us unfortunately...

Also my timetable has just disappeared from Outlook. It was there this morning, which is funny as I was on the phone with BPP this morning about something else and they asked if it was there and I said yes! I can still see it on the VLE and I have taken notes of the room numbers, but generally I think timetable is a problem for everyone.

I had to wait about 30 minutes this morning at 8am to speak to them, just as a heads up to anyone wanting to speak to them.

I was wondering the same about clothes. I was thinking smart casual for the first day, and then see what others are wearing haha.

Reactions: WRM19

h1

Esteemed Member
Oct 12, 2020
I can also see the fast track assessment dates. I don't think all the documents have been updates for us unfortunately...

Also my timetable has just disappeared from Outlook. It was there this morning, which is funny as I was on the phone with BPP this morning about something else and they asked if it was there and I said yes! I can still see it on the VLE and I have taken notes of the room numbers, but generally I think timetable is a problem for everyone.

I had to wait about 30 minutes this morning at 8am to speak to them, just as a heads up to anyone wanting to speak to them.

I was wondering the same about clothes. I was thinking smart casual for the first day, and then see what others are wearing haha.
You prompted me to look at my calendar and yup my Outlook calendar has disappeared too. I didn't have the forethought to write the room numbers down so hopefully it'll fix itself before my SGS tomorrow!

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
When you arrive they probably have a list of rooms and they can find it for you as I think you know your Group number or can check it against Student registration number on the pdf of groups on the Hub. If your time table is also on the VLE - google search BPP VLE - it may still be on there. My sons had different timetables as different groups on Hub.outlook v. VLE until yesterday. My other son now also has what we think is their correct timetable and group on the Hub as of today so I think at long last their group is clear and timetable available (unless the recent BPP email suggesting a switch to a 3rd group is still going to happen so they are not going to call BPP who I believe are swamped with queries). Their other friend starting the GDL has been in touch today with them about how to access the timetable log in etc. It is all quite difficult. The days when you were emailed or even posted a timetable seem a lot easier in some ways at least at the start. Once it all gets going for people it will be fine however.

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    My son had a similar issue - Teams associated with his last work account - but got it working for the start so it was all okay. Best of luck to everyone on the LPC. A few issues or things that might be useful to remember from the welcome talk this morning:-
    1. The assessment (exams) time table which we have put on the calendar at home may be being withdrawn and reissued with different exam dates so might be best to keep a close watch for those who already have put the dates down in diaries already. On the Hub there is a new notice "Please note that we are experiencing issues with students O365 calendars updating with their teaching. We are aware that this will be affecting mainly Law School programmes and ADAF for School of Business. We are working with IT to try and resolve this issue as quickly as possible. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause"

2. Attendance at the physical SGSs is compulsory, not something you just choose to do. If you do not attend there may be consequences and you will probably not pass the exams anyway they have found when people do not attend.

3. I would allow a lot of time for the first session in person this week as people will be arriving without their new student card and it sounds like you log in with the NHS covid app and then in again to the room with the Hub app which you should download. That might take a bit of time.

4. The welcome session mentioned various things where your personal tutor is the one to contact but at present there is no list of who that is but it will appear soon on the Hub. That may be something to check for in the coming days.

5. There was mention of a locker key on the talk as well as the student ID card. My son had an email about the ID card but had not heard about a locker. I think it may be worth taking some ID such as driving licence (as well as your student registration number) on day 1.

6. BPP mentioned it was an issue that so many people were starting new queries for the same thing they had raised in a query form already and that queries are answered in 48 hours. My son's query was not answered yet - and both twins currently can only see the timetable for their group in the VLE and on the Hub see the wrong timetable for their original groups. If there is no response to a first query I am not surprised people have started new queries particularly when until you have your timetable for the welcome in person session you do not know what day to go in. The talk said there are no welcome sessions today Monday and that the lists for this week for the in person welcome session will be issued before tomorrow so I assume later today (as on Tuesday there will be welcome sessions for some people yet some of those may not know their group or date of their session yet if they have not had their timetable).

7. As some of us already noticed a reference on the Hub which I raised on this thread above to some Drafting tasks in week 1 is a mistake and is just for August accelerated starters and instead that session is later in this term - I saw it on the timetable in about November time.

8. Important - you cannot quickly switch from online to in person exams at the last minute because of a train strike or illness on the day. So think carefully about which option you want. Instead you would have to do the exams much later ie your LPC could be much delayed. My sons already opted for online proctored exams. This topic was the one we wanted to know more about such as exactly what you can and cannot write on the materials you take into the online or in person exams as it affects your notes from day 1 but there was not much more said about that today. We think there may be a discrepancy between some of the instructions on exams which hopefully will be clearer later eg for online exams one set of rules I believe says you can take any written material in that you like, your notes, the handbooks etc but not refer to any electronic materials in the exam nor cut and pasting. I am sure it will all be clearer by the time of the mock exams later this term.

9. We wanted to know when the elective choices should be made but I don't think we have been told yet. The talk briefly mentioned them but I think not the dates. I am sure there will be plenty of time.

10. As I think everyone knows this term is your main 3 topics of the year - business law & practice including company law, property law and litigation (civil and criminal). After your Jan exams in those you move to the skills including professional conduct, accounts ( you work through a set of exercises in a book for that one) and wills (wills is entirely self taught) and I think they said that was only multiple choice questions for that one). Then in the final stage you do the three electives with their exams in June 2022 and as we already know the days you go in will vary for those and in term 2 compared with term 1. They also said term 1 groups are 2 days a week ( my sons) , 3 or 4 (my sons originally) days a week as we already knew. Mention was made of groups of 20 although in my sons' new group it is 13 and their original groups about 10 or 11 people.
    Hi Jane, thanks so much for providing such useful information!

Wanted to clarify - when you mention term 1 groups are "2 days a week, 3 or 4 days a week", do you mean the SGS lessons? So SGSs are held on either 2 days a week or 3/4 days a week?

So I am assuming that for your sons, they would have 3 weekdays completely free of any SGSs where they can do independent studying right?

Thank you very much!

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    R203, yes, that is exactly right. For their face to face course they were able to choose having the physical SGSs on two days a week during the week. That means they just have the travel from our house to BPP twice a week and it halves the cost of that travel - London Underground is quite expensive. . It is about an hour door to door each way. I believe some sponsoring law firms specify the number of days for their future trainees eg SGS sessions on 3 days a week etc. It is not a big issue compared with doing the work and passing the course, but for my sons it is simpler to travel in twice a week. Their PGDL, which just ended, was 100% online due to covid restrictions so for BPP opening up again this week to real students physically entering the building after a break of over about 18 months will be a big things too including for their staff. This obviously does not affect those doing the LPC 100% online this year.

On the other 3 days they will be preparing and studying etc.

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    R203, yes, that is exactly right. For their face to face course they were able to choose having the physical SGSs on two days a week during the week. That means they just have the travel from our house to BPP twice a week and it halves the cost of that travel - London Underground is quite expensive. . It is about an hour door to door each way. I believe some sponsoring law firms specify the number of days for their future trainees eg SGS sessions on 3 days a week etc. It is not a big issue compared with doing the work and passing the course, but for my sons it is simpler to travel in twice a week. Their PGDL, which just ended, was 100% online due to covid restrictions so for BPP opening up again this week to real students physically entering the building after a break of over about 18 months will be a big things too including for their staff. This obviously does not affect those doing the LPC 100% online this year.

On the other 3 days they will be preparing and studying etc.
    Thank you very much Jane!!

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    Does anyone know their log-in details for the Adobe sessions? Or would it be to sign in by typing your preferred name used for the sessions?
    That might just apply to those doing the LPC online. I think last year on the PDGL at first for the first few days my sons had to log in a guest for adobe connect links/talks but that then meant [ cannot remember what - worse access or not saved or something - I just cannot remember now] and within a day or two they then had their login. Might be worth trying your BPP password and just pick any user name and see if that works.

Ar2016

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 2, 2019
    Hey guys!

Might be a slightly irrelevant question but how exactly are you all planning to organise the physical handouts/loose punched papers they have given as part of the hard copy materials? Im not sure which binders etc to get as I don't want it to be bulky and take too much space either. Let me know if you have any helpful links etc where to buy from or if you have an alternate way of organising it all

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    One of my sons has bought 2 lever arch folders for each of the topics (he is treating litigation, civil and criminal as 2) ( so 4 x 2 = 8) and put the physical materials BPP delivered into four of the folders, leaving the other 4 for SGS materials etc - eg I saw him printing the first SGS materials for one SGS. He did mention at first perhaps having one folder for one topic but that was going to be too bulky. That is the reason also that he has split civil and criminal litigation into separate folders. He is having sections in each lever arch folder based on each SGS (rather than each lecture - there might be a few lectures per one SGS) as the course seemed to be based around the SGSs and those at what people attend - that is what we chatted about yesterday anyway and I had some punched plastic plastic folders that go into files he put something in. His twin has not printed anything so far although did buy some folders last week. Some people work better from paper and some not.

It seems very difficult for it not to be bulky even so and carrying things in is going be mean needing a big bag for those with 2 SGSs on a particular day. At Holborn there are lockers if you want them, although most people will probably need at home the materials which use in the SGS so leaving things in the locker might not work. There are probably some videos on youtube by previous LPC students about how they organise their notes.
    ----------------

The main question my twins had for their welcome in person session this week was what annotation of materials taken into the exams is allowed (as that affects what you write on the materials from day 1) and others had the same question as they had found a difference between bits of the guidance on the Hub so it was not clear. The lecturer said to their group that that would need to be double checked as it was not clear. So I am just flagging that now. Also apparently their Group is lovely so that's nice to know after the bit of back and forth and complication of moving to a 2 day a week group.

h1

Esteemed Member
    Oct 12, 2020
    One of my sons has bought 2 lever arch folders for each of the topics (he is treating litigation, civil and criminal as 2) ( so 4 x 2 = 8) and put the physical materials BPP delivered into four of the folders, leaving the other 4 for SGS materials etc - eg I saw him printing the first SGS materials for one SGS. He did mention at first perhaps having one folder for one topic but that was going to be too bulky. That is the reason also that he has split civil and criminal litigation into separate folders. He is having sections in each lever arch folder based on each SGS (rather than each lecture - there might be a few lectures per one SGS) as the course seemed to be based around the SGSs and those at what people attend - that is what we chatted about yesterday anyway and I had some punched plastic plastic folders that go into files he put something in. His twin has not printed anything so far although did buy some folders last week. Some people work better from paper and some not.

It seems very difficult for it not to be bulky even so and carrying things in is going be mean needing a big bag for those with 2 SGSs on a particular day. At Holborn there are lockers if you want them, although most people will probably need at home the materials which use in the SGS so leaving things in the locker might not work. There are probably some videos on youtube by previous LPC students about how they organise their notes.
    ----------------

The main question my twins had for their welcome in person session this week was what annotation of materials taken into the exams is allowed (as that affects what you write on the materials from day 1) and others had the same question as they had found a difference between bits of the guidance on the Hub so it was not clear. The lecturer said to their group that that would need to be double checked as it was not clear. So I am just flagging that now. Also apparently their Group is lovely so that's nice to know after the bit of back and forth and complication of moving to a 2 day a week group.
    Re annotations - my tutor suggested doing things in pencil for now and highlighting after the SGS/nearer to the exam when you're sure you want that info. The general impression I got was that you cannot write anything in the permitted materials but highlighting and tabs (also not written on) is okay.

123Law1234

Star Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 36
    Sep 4, 2019
    123Law1234:
    Sorry, I know this is not directly related to BPP.

I will be starting my LPC in 2022. As the intake is small, we are allowed to choose where to study the LPC.

Does anyone know how LPC students typically find other students to rent with? I understand that for some firms their intake is so large that trainees may often rent with other people from their same cohort.

Do some LPC students rent with professionals? Or do most LPC students rent with other LPC students?

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    123, hopefully someone will come along to answer but I think it just depends on the person. My twins are living at home this year. some LPC students are older and already renting but I am sure others every year will be looking to rent with someone on the course.

h1, good point.
    I am just going to see what I can find now pasted below about what we know so far on materials or the bits that contradict just out of my own interest.

"Both types of assessment [ on line and in the exam hall] will be open book. By this, we mean that, for invigilated assessments, students will be permitted to refer to any hard copy materials (hard copy textbooks, printed BPP materials, hand-written or typed notes, etc) during the assessment. However, students will not be permitted to refer to any soft copy materials or to use any electronic devices (other than a simple calculator and, for those sitting digital assessments, the computer being used for the assessment). In order to prevent collusion between students, the SRA requires us to ensure that students who leave the room / screen during an invigilated assessment are not able to return to any part of the assessment which has already been seen or attempted. As a result:"[ then a bit about no breakf if under 2 hours etc] Last modified: Friday, 10 September 2021, 11:08 AM

So the above suggests you could write all over your books and notes and have thousands of pages of your own notes ready in advance as long as they were printed out which is very different from not writing on your materials but may be it not writing on the permitted materials only that is not allowed. That what needs to be clarified in writing very early on and not changed after.

Programme hand book says "Detailed guidance in relation to the sitting of online assessments (and, particularly, remote proctored online assessments) is available on the Students’ Association website and links to that guidance are also available on the Hub."
    Pg 31 of the handbook says says
    "10. Materials allowed in assessments under controlled conditions
    At the beginning of each module candidates will be informed which materials are and are not permitted in assessments under controlled conditions. A candidate who is found to have brought materials into an examination or an assessment that have not been permitted will be subject to the Academic Malpractice Regulations."

Rules and policies:
    "As you will know there are detailed rules about the materials you can take into an assessment, about the limited extent to which you may highlight or tab those materials, and so on. Full information about this and other assessment guidance can be found under Assessments on the LPC home page of the VLE."

In Inspera ( exam software) guidance have no help on what you can take in or mark up relevant to this.

The pdf on eg the Business Law module says
    "In this assessment, you may refer to any hard copy document you wish. This includes the permitted materials produced by BPP, the teaching materials produced by BPP, any notes you may have made (whether typed or hand-written), textbooks and so on. You may not, however, print out a copy of the assessment itself. You may not refer to any other soft copy documents on the computer on which you are undertaking your assessment. Inspera is a secure exam portal that will not permit you to access the VLE, the internet, emails or any documents on your computer."

So it sounds like there is no problem before hand preparing anything you like and printing it off - past papers, hand written notices, lists etc etc etc but you can not refer to them on your screen just have print outs by you and secondly the issue is what notes if any you can write on the materials.

I think BPP need to be clear on this because it seems unnecesary to me that you could take in 1000 separate printed out documents, notes etc and the whole year's work you did and all your files on paper but could not write in adfvance on to the permitted materials your own notes.
    I may have missed some other guidance above - it was just a quick check (and it is pity everything is found in about 10 different documents in various places on the hub]
    Let us hope it is clear soon.

AOD

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 21, 2021
    I asked about exam materials in the induction lecture and my personal tutor and I was told the same thing, that they're waiting for confirmation. On the hub when making the choice of assessment and also under each module description it says that all exams are open book, with any hard copy materials permitted.

I don't think they're waiting for the SRA to confirm they're allowed, as ULaw have been doing it for years.

Last edited:

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    AOD, a much better answer than my long screed above which found much the same. So assuming people get confirmation they can take anything hard copy to their online (or in person) exam the only other question is what are you allowed to mark or write on the BPP provided materials.

h1

Esteemed Member
    Oct 12, 2020
    Just want to check that no-one else has still received their Butterworths Company Law Handbook? We need to take it in for SGS 1 but obviously we'll have to use the online version

Reactions: AOD

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    My twins do not have it yet either and will not therefore be bringing it to the first SGS {apparently the new issue is only just published each year at end of August so if often a bit late in hard copy form] . (The one with the missing property BPP book thing did at last have a reply which provided him with an email address to email about the missing one)

Also of note is that the Announcements board on the Hub has a relatively recent announcement just because it contains reminders about what people were told in week 1 induction. It also has a link to a pdf with list of group numbers and the relevant tutor's name and email address.

Last edited:
    Reactions: h1

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Hi everyone - I am wondering whether the Pre-SGS virtual tests on the Hub are mandatory? I just realised I missed 1 of them by technical issues and I am curious if I should get freaked out by that.

Thank you very much!

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    The announcement email I mention above says "We also recommend that you complete the BLP pre-module reading test in advance of the first BLP SGS. This test is merely for self-assessment purposes and will NOT count towards your LPC/LLM or be reviewed by any of your tutors." So am pretty certain none of them are mandatory.

On a separate issue my sons' email today from their tutor says in relation to annotation of materials issue mentioned above says:
    "Further to the Welcome SGS last Friday, there was some confusion over whether there were annotation rules for the materials in the exams. The position is as I set out in the SGS i.e. all of the LPC exams are now 'open book' in that you can take any hard copy materials into exams with you. As a result, there are no longer any annotation rules either - you can write on your notes and statute books etc as much as you like."

Reactions: h1 and AOD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.