BPP LPC help. 3Days?

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
On The Hub under My Learning then / Full time induction I can see today a link to a pdf of the lists of all the groups with the student registration number SRN and the group number. On that list for my twins under the LPC FT (full time) Holborn link they are now in the same group as each other (with two days a week only sessions, if the VLE timetable is right) just as they requested. So I am pretty certain now they were moved groups as they wanted. Despite that, their outlook timetable is showing them still in the original group and my son has to go on the VLE timetable to see the new group's 2 day a week timetable.

There are 13 people in their new group (I was expecting it to be about 20). There are ten people in the original 4 mornings a week group in which one of them was first placed and 10 in his twin's original 4 afternoons a week group. That makes sense if their original groups had 11 originally and that my two left those 2 groups and were added to the new one increasing it from 11 to 13. I would guess there are about 740 full time in Holborn September starters across what looks like about 55 groups.

There are similar lists for the regional BPP groups there and also for the online option where again you can open the pdf and check your student registration number to see your group.

Anyone with an SRN, but was not sure of their group number or whether they were registered,might want to check those lists against their number.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
No, only that it was being posted by end of August. I expect it will arrive in the next week or two. It will mostly be the Companies Act 2006 which is free on a google search anyway so it is probably not a big problem if it arrives a bit late.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
Hi everyone! My office365 calendar is still not available, yet everything is on the VLE Calendar. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Sorry, I don't. My son has his correct group's timetable in the VLE Calendar and a different group's timetable (the one in which he originally was placed) in the offiec365 calendar. Hopefully as last week and this must be the busiest of all year for BPP after next week it will be easier to call them and to have queries raised and items sorted out.

On a separate issue, both timetables of my son show for week one two online welcome talks - welcome lecture and professional support lecture on the first day and then an in person (just with your physical group) in Holborn session. Those are the only 3 things for week 1 on the timetable. I suspect that is the same for everyone attending the LPC in person.

However on the Hub it mentions the following which I think is not on the timetable for week 1:-
"As mentioned above, in the first week, you need to attend one Practical Legal Research and Writing SGS and one Interviewing and Advising SGS. Details of these sessions and the links to access them will appear in your O365 calendar.
You will need to prepare for each of these SGSs. The expectation is that you should spend around three hours preparing for each SGS, in addition to watching the related online lecture(s).
Before you start any preparation, please read the LPC study guide and 'Succeeding on the LPC' found below.
You will receive access to the full materials for each of your modules a few days after you have registered. In the meantime, you can find copies of everything you need to prepare for the first week of teaching under the 'Preparation before teaching starts' tile and the ‘Preparation for the first week of teaching' tile."

(This is under Start Here/First Module SGS on the Hub).

We can see a Practical legal research SGS on the timetable on the Hub and on outlook/365 in November, but not before. Or may be the links have just not appeared yet. It would certainly be simpler if, to start with. there were just the three big topics - Business Law, Litigation and Property.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Sorry, I don't. My son has his correct group's timetable in the VLE Calendar and a different group's timetable (the one in which he originally was placed) in the offiec365 calendar. Hopefully as last week and this must be the busiest of all year for BPP after next week it will be easier to call them and to have queries raised and items sorted out.

On a separate issue, both timetables of my son show for week one two online welcome talks - welcome lecture and professional support lecture on the first day and then an in person (just with your physical group) in Holborn session. Those are the only 3 things for week 1 on the timetable. I suspect that is the same for everyone attending the LPC in person.

However on the Hub it mentions the following which I think is not on the timetable for week 1:-
    "As mentioned above, in the first week, you need to attend one Practical Legal Research and Writing SGS and one Interviewing and Advising SGS. Details of these sessions and the links to access them will appear in your O365 calendar.
    You will need to prepare for each of these SGSs. The expectation is that you should spend around three hours preparing for each SGS, in addition to watching the related online lecture(s).
    Before you start any preparation, please read the LPC study guide and 'Succeeding on the LPC' found below.
    You will receive access to the full materials for each of your modules a few days after you have registered. In the meantime, you can find copies of everything you need to prepare for the first week of teaching under the 'Preparation before teaching starts' tile and the ‘Preparation for the first week of teaching' tile."

(This is under Start Here/First Module SGS on the Hub).

We can see a Practical legal research SGS on the timetable on the Hub and on outlook/365 in November, but not before. Or may be the links have just not appeared yet. It would certainly be simpler if, to start with. there were just the three big topics - Business Law, Litigation and Property.
    Maybe the bit re PLR and Writing is the first week of teaching rather than the induction week?

Emily77

Aug 25, 2020
    Anyone not able to access the induction talks this morning? It is saying I need permission but I have been trying to get hold of anyone at BPP for the past week and it’s near impossible to get a response?

M&A

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Oct 5, 2019
    Anyone not able to access the induction talks this morning? It is saying I need permission but I have been trying to get hold of anyone at BPP for the past week and it’s near impossible to get a response?
    Hey! I had the issue and managed in the end. I think my problem was that I had teams logged in to my work account. If you have teams in your desktop make sure it is logged in to your bpp account. Good luck!

Reactions: Emily77

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    My son had a similar issue - Teams associated with his last work account - but got it working for the start so it was all okay. Best of luck to everyone on the LPC. A few issues or things that might be useful to remember from the welcome talk this morning:-
    1. The assessment (exams) time table which we have put on the calendar at home may be being withdrawn and reissued with different exam dates so might be best to keep a close watch for those who already have put the dates down in diaries already. On the Hub there is a new notice "Please note that we are experiencing issues with students O365 calendars updating with their teaching. We are aware that this will be affecting mainly Law School programmes and ADAF for School of Business. We are working with IT to try and resolve this issue as quickly as possible. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause"

2. Attendance at the physical SGSs is compulsory, not something you just choose to do. If you do not attend there may be consequences and you will probably not pass the exams anyway they have found when people do not attend.

3. I would allow a lot of time for the first session in person this week as people will be arriving without their new student card and it sounds like you log in with the NHS covid app and then in again to the room with the Hub app which you should download. That might take a bit of time.

4. The welcome session mentioned various things where your personal tutor is the one to contact but at present there is no list of who that is but it will appear soon on the Hub. That may be something to check for in the coming days.

5. There was mention of a locker key on the talk as well as the student ID card. My son had an email about the ID card but had not heard about a locker. I think it may be worth taking some ID such as driving licence (as well as your student registration number) on day 1.

6. BPP mentioned it was an issue that so many people were starting new queries for the same thing they had raised in a query form already and that queries are answered in 48 hours. My son's query was not answered yet - and both twins currently can only see the timetable for their group in the VLE and on the Hub see the wrong timetable for their original groups. If there is no response to a first query I am not surprised people have started new queries particularly when until you have your timetable for the welcome in person session you do not know what day to go in. The talk said there are no welcome sessions today Monday and that the lists for this week for the in person welcome session will be issued before tomorrow so I assume later today (as on Tuesday there will be welcome sessions for some people yet some of those may not know their group or date of their session yet if they have not had their timetable).

7. As some of us already noticed a reference on the Hub which I raised on this thread above to some Drafting tasks in week 1 is a mistake and is just for August accelerated starters and instead that session is later in this term - I saw it on the timetable in about November time.

8. Important - you cannot quickly switch from online to in person exams at the last minute because of a train strike or illness on the day. So think carefully about which option you want. Instead you would have to do the exams much later ie your LPC could be much delayed. My sons already opted for online proctored exams. This topic was the one we wanted to know more about such as exactly what you can and cannot write on the materials you take into the online or in person exams as it affects your notes from day 1 but there was not much more said about that today. We think there may be a discrepancy between some of the instructions on exams which hopefully will be clearer later eg for online exams one set of rules I believe says you can take any written material in that you like, your notes, the handbooks etc but not refer to any electronic materials in the exam nor cut and pasting. I am sure it will all be clearer by the time of the mock exams later this term.

9. We wanted to know when the elective choices should be made but I don't think we have been told yet. The talk briefly mentioned them but I think not the dates. I am sure there will be plenty of time.

10. As I think everyone knows this term is your main 3 topics of the year - business law & practice including company law, property law and litigation (civil and criminal). After your Jan exams in those you move to the skills including professional conduct, accounts ( you work through a set of exercises in a book for that one) and wills (wills is entirely self taught) and I think they said that was only multiple choice questions for that one). Then in the final stage you do the three electives with their exams in June 2022 and as we already know the days you go in will vary for those and in term 2 compared with term 1. They also said term 1 groups are 2 days a week ( my sons) , 3 or 4 (my sons originally) days a week as we already knew. Mention was made of groups of 20 although in my sons' new group it is 13 and their original groups about 10 or 11 people.

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    Ah, now they are getting muddled - my sons were moved to their preferrrd group by last Friday. Tonight they have had an email saying one is being movedout of that and into his brother's original 4 day a week group - so a second move supposedly at his request. The right hand seems not to understand what the left is saying - hence son trying urgently to stop their second move. I hope this gets settled soon. He has emailed back to say do not change either from their group.

h1

Esteemed Member
    Oct 12, 2020
    I also now have access to 'LPC Legal Practice Course and LLM Legal Practice Course Programme Information' on The Hub which the inductors were referring to this morning. It contains what was basically mentioned this morning (inclu. Programme Handbook, Assessment Dates, Services etc)

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    1. h1, b thanks . Under "assessment dates" in son's case we are being shown "fast track" course dates as of this morning. We also just have fast track course exam dates under "Key Dates" still which again is wrong.

We do have the "study planner" for the LPC full time which gives exam dates for the full time September start LPC eg mocks week of 1 November. The study planner looks like the same version we saw about a week ago so hopefully that gives the correct exam dates.

2. I think my son will try to call BPP yet again today to ensure he remains in the correct group.

His twin's timetable for his correct group is today showing on Outlook via the Hub for the first time which is good progress. So may be all is now well with their move to that group (rather than being moved to a third group they do not want). . Before he could see one group on the VLE - the new 2 day a week group I think they are now both in and want to be in and another on the Hub/outlook - the original 4 day a week group.

Now what about clothes? My two are going to be very casual later in the week for the first welcome in person session. Even shorts were mentioned if it remains so hot!

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.