TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veep9

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    View attachment 3585
    Response I got from Clyde & Co today about the video interview.
    Yeah, so I was sent this today:

Thank you for your interest in Clyde & Co. Your application has been received and is currently being reviewed.

As part of the application process, you will be invited to take part in an Online Assessment. You will receive an invite for this in due course.

In the meantime, there are a few things we suggest you do to prepare:

•Visit the Cappfinity Preparation Hub for guidance on how to best prepare for a video interview

•Try our virtual experience programme to gain a deeper understanding of the firm, the quality of work we engage in and what we expect of our trainees via: clydecoearlycareers.com/en-gb/virtual-experience-programme

If you require any reasonable adjustments at any stage of the application process ….

I am not sure if this means I’ve progressed to video interview or, more likely, they’re just giving a heads up

B A

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 4, 2020
    I just got an email from hsf saying that my application is currently under review - does that mean I passed the online test?

Reactions: GXA123

S30

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 19, 2019
    I just got an email from hsf saying that my application is currently under review - does that mean I passed the online test?
    You should get another email from “AutomationManager” which states you reached the benchmark for the test and that your application is now under review :)

Reactions: OB

tt_xo

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 20, 2020

Thank you for your interest in Clyde & Co. Your application has been received and is currently being reviewed.

As part of the application process, you will be invited to take part in an Online Assessment. You will receive an invite for this in due course.

•Visit the Cappfinity Preparation Hub for guidance on how to best prepare for a video interview

•Try our virtual experience programme to gain a deeper understanding of the firm, the quality of work we engage in and what we expect of our trainees via: clydecoearlycareers.com/en-gb/virtual-experience-programme

If you require any reasonable adjustments at any stage of the application process ….

I am not sure if this means I’ve progressed to video interview or, more likely, they’re just giving a heads up
    Seems to me like the video interview is more of an integrated part of the written application from this answer. Honestly not sure at this point😂

Reactions: BeGrateful.101

Law2022

Legendary Member
    May 3, 2020

I received this too!

Reactions: BeGrateful.101

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Can I ask for the SJT bit did you base your answers on competencies such as teamwork and leadership I mean does the SJT bit look at competencies or are there 1 strong and 1 weak answer for each scenario. Thank you.

B A

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 4, 2020
    Can I ask for the SJT bit did you base your answers on competencies such as teamwork and leadership I mean does the SJT bit look at competencies or are there 1 strong and 1 weak answer for each scenario. Thank you.
    I just treated it like a normal SJT. The practice question stated there was a right answer for each question (which was the strongest and weakest option), so I assume that's how it is scored.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    If you have to list prizes/scholarships/awards in a VS application, would it be a bad idea to list that I got a scholarship from Inner Temple to do the GDL? I originally considered becoming a barrister but have now decided on the solicitor route. It was part of my journey to deciding to become a solicitor (which I have spelled out) but I also don't want to give the wrong impression that I may go down the barrister route or am unsure/undecided.

Yes, definitely list it! It's an impressive achievement and yes you might get asked about your reasons for changing your mind about the barrister route at interview, but that's just about preparing a strong answer in response

Reactions: jv1999

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    For the question 'Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector' would you bullet point your answer and list all the events you have been to, or would you talk about a few events you've gone to, perhaps where you have met the firm and spoken to them? Im not sure if they want me to talk about how meeting them encouraged me to apply to them. Im thinking I could talk about maybe 5 events? (250 words by the way)
    I would not bullet point this. Just pick a few main events and detail what they helped you learn about commercial law. Whenever I wrote my answers to this, I tried to create a narrative by explaining what the different open days taught me about the practice areas I was interested in, the kind of training I would like etc. Definitely highlight the events where you've met the firm but feel free to include events wth other firms too. These kind of questions just want to test that you've actually done your research and invested time into deciding f the career is right for you.

Reactions: tt_xo

PirateShip

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 3, 2021
    I would not bullet point this. Just pick a few main events and detail what they helped you learn about commercial law. Whenever I wrote my answers to this, I tried to create a narrative by explaining what the different open days taught me about the practice areas I was interested in, the kind of training I would like etc. Definitely highlight the events where you've met the firm but feel free to include events wth other firms too. These kind of questions just want to test that you've actually done your research and invested time into deciding f the career is right for you.
    Hi Dheepa, just to butt in here, would you include Virtual Internships in your answer? I'm not sure if they would qualify as an "event".

There is a separate question for detailing "any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application" that might be more appropriate, but I just wanted to hear your opinion.

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Oh I emailed a few days ago and I haven’t heard back!
    Dw they're snails at replying usually - I suspect their inbox is full of kean bean first year students asking them for tips on how to write a good vac scheme application.

They're a lot more responsive if you call them. I left a voicemail (was having issues with the SJT) and they called me back within an hour

• ℹ️
    • Haha
    Reactions: Celestie and OB

ELaw2021

Future Trainee
    Apr 27, 2021
    Has anyone received an email from Simmons & Simmons saying that they didn't receive your online test and are withdrawing your application? I completed the test in time and it says completed on the online portal so a bit worrying!

• 🤝
    Reactions: OB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.