TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is talking about the pay wars going on in the city and high attrition rates too sensitive a legal trend to talk about in interview?🤔
It depends how you talk about them. If it suggests you are a high flight risk, then it’s not that it’s sensitive, it’s just it could undermine your chances

D

Deleted member 8227

It depends how you talk about them. If it suggests you are a high flight risk, then it’s not that it’s sensitive, it’s just it could undermine your chances
If it's in the context of a current legal trend would it be okay? i.e. it is a trend currently affecting the legal industry and how law firms can react to it

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If it's in the context of a current legal trend would it be okay? i.e. it is a trend currently affecting the legal industry and how law firms can react to it
You are likely to be asked your opinion on is though - not just explain it is happening (as they know this). They will be much more interested in why you think it is happening, and whether you think it should be happening, and if not what can be done to stop/limit it.

Reactions: Deleted member 8227

MikSoroko

Feb 11, 2021
My twin sons are doing the LPC living at home at present with a similar commuting time (in their case about an hour door to door) and there are definitely others in their group who live at home too. They only go in twice a week( but the accelerated LPC might be on more days a week to fit it all in I would expect). It isd not like an undergraduate degree when living near people and all that initial aged 18 social stuff is so vital; so I think you would be fine living at home.

The accelerated LPC is apparently hard work and I think has short holidays (not that the normal one gives you more than 2 weeks "off" at Christmas) but I am sure you will be fine. My sons had a choice so went for the normal LPC Sept to June (as did their older sisters) not the accelerated one.
The accelerated course is more likely to be more days per week. Used to be 4 days a week back in my day, but that was way before remote learning etc, so things may have changed.
Again, thank you both!

H.N.

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 22
Jul 28, 2020
Hi everyone,

I'm due to the start the accelerated LPC with my firm in January, but I had a few questions:
1. Is there prep work to do before you start the course? How long does this take?
2. How much in advance do they send over the books etc.?
3. How many days per week would you be in uni?

Lastly, naturally, I'll have to move to London and I was wondering whether anyone had any advice on finding a flat? I'm based in Cheshire and I've never moved out before so I'm very much clueless on how to find a flat, and how soon I should be looking if I want to move in in the first week of January? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone,

I'm due to the start the accelerated LPC with my firm in January, but I had a few questions:
1. Is there prep work to do before you start the course? How long does this take?
2. How much in advance do they send over the books etc.?
3. How many days per week would you be in uni?

Lastly, naturally, I'll have to move to London and I was wondering whether anyone had any advice on finding a flat? I'm based in Cheshire and I've never moved out before so I'm very much clueless on how to find a flat, and how soon I should be looking if I want to move in in the first week of January? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Accommodation - I'd start looking around 8 weeks before you need to move in (especially given Christmas is in the middle of that time). Usually, 4-6 weeks would be sufficient.

Are you looking at flatshares or will you be finding property with a group of friends?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi i was wondering if it's better to structure an executive summary in a business report as bullet points or as a paragraph?

Personally, my executive summaries were always bullet pointed. The point of the summary is to keep things simple and give the person reading an idea of what to expect from the details in the rest of the document - I think bullet points convey that best, but as Jess has said no right or wrong approach with this one!

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Guys, I need your help!

I would like to buy a wireless printer able to print double sided and does not require me to spend a fortune or join some tech cult.

Please, help me because I feel overwhelmed

golden99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2021
    URGENT

Dear @Jessica Booker ,

I was offered an assessment centre with Allen & Overy for a winter vac scheme yesterday afternoon (about 5:30). I immediately booked it for 13th October, the only available dates were the 12th/13th of October. However, I currently have tonsilitis and am very ill (unable to work). I am on a course of antibiotics and anticipate I should be better within a couple of days although I have seen no improvement to date. Do you think it is an option to ask Allen & Overy to push the AC back or do you think this could reduce my chance of being successful? This is my first vac scheme AC and I really don't want to do anything to minimise my chances as I am worried the opportunity may not come around again especially at such a massive firm. Please let me know what you think. (I tagged as 'urgent' as I guess A&O would want as much notice as possible)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.