TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Slightly dumb question, but for Webinars etc. are we expected to have our cameras on?

Wondering whether I should don the suit and tie or if I can get away with wearing pajamas whilst my camera is off.
    It's hard enough to make connections online so I think having the camera on and dressing in a smart-casual way (upper half, lower half doesn't matter haha) is generally advisable. Although depends what kind of webinar in my opinion. If there are going to be 100s (or 1000s as is the case with some Legal Cheek events!) then leaving the camera off or having it on probably won't make too much difference.

Reactions: PirateShip and OB

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    Slightly dumb question, but for Webinars etc. are we expected to have our cameras on?

Wondering whether I should don the suit and tie or if I can get away with wearing pajamas whilst my camera is off.
    To echo what @Kubed said, some webinars won't even have a camera function so you do have to worry. Alternatively, for selective open days/webinars were there are less than 30 people, I would always suggest having your camera on for the majority of the talks :)

Reactions: PirateShip and OB

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    It's hard enough to make connections online so I think having the camera on and dressing in a smart-casual way (upper half, lower half doesn't matter haha) is generally advisable. Although depends what kind of webinar in my opinion. If there are going to be 100s (or 1000s as is the case with some Legal Cheek events!) then leaving the camera off or having it on probably won't make too much difference.
    For events like Legal Cheek fairs, only 10 people can have their cameras on at any given point, so if you have already ironed your clothes and are camera ready, make sure to log in at the earliest because those 10 people are pretty much fixed for the rest of the event. Some won't leave even after they're done asking their questions.

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    For events like Legal Cheek fairs, only 10 people can have their cameras on at any given point, so if you have already ironed your clothes and are camera ready, make sure to log in at the earliest because those 10 people are pretty much fixed for the rest of the event. Some won't leave even after they're done asking their questions.
    Only been to two of their events so far and seems like the same people rush to get a camera spot and then just stay there for the whole time, some not even asking questions lol

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    Hi everyone! Hogan Lovells announced on insta that they opened their apps on the 20th however their apply4law website still says that the deadline passed for everything!!

Reactions: S87
    D

Deleted member 8227

If you're asked why you studied law at university in an interview, is it okay to answer with how it complimented your skillset and why? e.g. you've always had good attention to detail ? I'm a bit confused how to differentiate this from a why commercial law answer

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    If you're asked why you studied law at university in an interview, is it okay to answer with how it complimented your skillset and why? e.g. you've always had good attention to detail ? I'm a bit confused how to differentiate this from a why commercial law answer
    I think having good attention to detail is a bit generic i.e. it could be applied to pretty much any subject. It's fine as part of an answer but I would imagine they're really looking for more of a story here - what sparked your interest in the subject? Why law over any other course? The academic study of law is quite different to a commercial law career so I think it would be a good idea to really think back to your genuine motivations before you started studying law and build an answer based on that.

D

Deleted member 8227

I think having good attention to detail is a bit generic i.e. it could be applied to pretty much any subject. It's fine as part of an answer but I would imagine they're really looking for more of a story here - what sparked your interest in the subject? Why law over any other course? The academic study of law is quite different to a commercial law career so I think it would be a good idea to really think back to your genuine motivations before you started studying law and build an answer based on that.
    This is really useful thank you so much!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Kubed
    D

Deleted member 2707

Hi @Jaysen, hope it's alright that I'm sticking this question here but I just had a quick question about the Community Manager vacancy. If I don't have a right to work in the UK, am I still eligible to apply?

Jmccann

Apr 14, 2021
    Hi, just a question regarding enrolling in LPC, is there still enough time left to enrol in a Jan 2022 intake to start a TC in September 2022? How long does it take to enrol roughly if anyone knows? Self funded option also.

Reactions: GXA123

RoughWood

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Feb 24, 2021
    Hi, just a question regarding enrolling in LPC, is there still enough time left to enrol in a Jan 2022 intake to start a TC in September 2022? How long does it take to enrol roughly if anyone knows? Self funded option also.
    Enrollment is very quick and you may be able to join the September start at ULaw still as it has only been running for 2 weeks so far and there have recently been some later entries in my group. Some providers also offer an accelerated LPC so that may be an option considering your short timeframe. I would suggest you give the providers a call and discuss options

Jmccann

Apr 14, 2021
    Enrollment is very quick and you may be able to join the September start at ULaw still as it has only been running for 2 weeks so far and there have recently been some later entries in my group. Some providers also offer an accelerated LPC so that may be an option considering your short timeframe. I would suggest you give the providers a call and discuss options
    Hi, thanks very much. As long as the Jan 2022 option is still there then should be ok.
    Is the application long/difficult to be accepted?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.