TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentOfLaw21

Apr 3, 2021
A mid-tier firm would like to take me on as a paralegal, but I have already accepted an entry-level role with a more prestigious firm. I assume that the paralegal role would better be paying in comparison to the entry-level role because the paralegal role is full-time. It's worth noting that the more prestigious firm has a bigger TC intake compared to the mid-tier one. Any thoughts or advice? I am not sure how to weigh these roles up.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    A mid-tier firm would like to take me on as a paralegal, but I have already accepted an entry-level role with a more prestigious firm. I assume that the paralegal role would better be paying in comparison to the entry-level role because the paralegal role is full-time. It's worth noting that the more prestigious firm has a bigger TC intake compared to the mid-tier one. Any thoughts or advice? I am not sure how to weigh these roles up.
    I think this is a question of how important the money is to you atm based on your financial situation vs your long term career goals. If the more prestigious firm does work in areas that you like or is more similar to other firms you’d like to apply to then I’d go with that. Don’t overthink TC spaces too much because when it comes down to it if you’re a great candidate firms will make space for you in subsequent intakes. What’s the scope of the other entry level role? I’d consider the amount of responsibility in each one, titles matter less than the substance of work you do in terms of building your experience for applications.

StudentOfLaw21

Apr 3, 2021
    I think this is a question of how important the money is to you atm based on your financial situation vs your long term career goals. If the more prestigious firm does work in areas that you like or is more similar to other firms you’d like to apply to then I’d go with that. Don’t overthink TC spaces too much because when it comes down to it if you’re a great candidate firms will make space for you in subsequent intakes. What’s the scope of the other entry level role? I’d consider the amount of responsibility in each one, titles matter less than the substance of work you do in terms of building your experience for applications.
    Thank you for this, this really helped to guide me on how to come to a decision! I guess I will have to chat with each firm and really identify what they will be offering me.

Reactions: Dheepa

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Hello all, more specifically anyone who is applying to Linklaters. I completed the online assessment the day before yesterday and just received my results. Not sure if this was the process last year as I didn’t apply, but it was super interesting. Very similar to the WBD pymetric test, testing your skills in line with what the firm want - eg excellence and motivation etc.
    Wasn’t scary, was actually super fun.
    dm me if anyone has any more questions :)

Reactions: jonesacissej

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Very nice..I tried there is no equivalent for my course. Maybe I should have been more specific..Remember kindness takes you to great places
    No one will be able to assist if you don't mention what the course is?

Reactions: M777

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Very nice..I tried there is no equivalent for my course. Maybe I should have been more specific..Remember kindness takes you to great places
    If there is not an equivalent, you literally cannot calculate it, and you should just provide your current grades in the scoring system as you know them.

You can get some guidance from university website for undergraduate courses. They typically provide equivalent qualifications for most countries - eg example for the Czech Republic

Reactions: S87

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    That said, ultimately I still did it and I’m sure you could too. But I am now very very tired and taking 2 weeks of annual leave to recover 😅
    So sorry I missed your reply! You've given me much to think about. I'm going to chat with a partner from the team tomorrow and see where it goes. Thank you so much for all your input!!

Reactions: TC fiend

m90

Future Trainee
    Jul 23, 2021
    Hi, I wondered if anyone has experienced working part time (approx 8-10 hours per week) during final year of the LLB and came out with great results? I know it's common, but I'd like to know how you found juggling the workload/stress etc? Thanks :)!

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Hi, I wondered if anyone has experienced working part time (approx 8-10 hours per week) during final year of the LLB and came out with great results? I know it's common, but I'd like to know how you found juggling the workload/stress etc? Thanks :)!
    This is such a personal thing, some people can handle it others can't. I worked 30-35 hours a week through out my LLB including third year and graduated with a very high 2:1 and got a first class average in third year. I also had a social life throughout as thats something thats very important to me. However I would point out that is not normal, neither do I think working those kind of hours should be expected/glorified, I did it because I had no other choice. Was it stressful, yes, did I ever get a break, no. Is it possible, just about. I would say if you don't need to work don't.

Reactions: TC fiend and Hele25

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    I completely agree with @Abii in that it’s a very personal thing.
    I’ve worked 16-25 hours all through uni.
    First year I struggled honestly, with stress and juggling it all and then -
    Second year and Covid happened, so my social life went to zero and I came out with better results because I could focus. It was school, work, sleep, repeat 😅
    Entering 3rd year now and I’ve reduced my hours to 10 a week. We’ll see how it goes.
    I think I’m just trying to keep in mind that uni IS my job right now. Getting a good degree is (personally!!!!) more important to me than anything else, (alongside TC apps), and whilst I might be poorer than ever, less stress and good marks is better than a 3rd at the end of the day. 🤷‍♀️ For me at least! Good luck :)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Sorry guys not applications related, but I'm going through some hurdles in life right now, and I'd appreciate any prayers you'd have. I spend a good chunk of my day on this forum, so IDK why but I'd thought I reach out here 🙏

Wishing you the best, I'm really sorry to hear things are difficult right now.

Reactions: GXA123 and djqb
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.