TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorporateB3

Star Member
Jul 1, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker! Quick question for you - I am interviewing for a paralegal role at the firm that I got a TC at. Do you have any advice on things to prepare, not really sure how intense this process will be or what I am supposed to demonstrate. Of course I would speak to how this will assist me moving forward/for the TC/at the firm. Thanks in advance!

• 🏆
Reactions: OB

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker! Quick question for you - I am interviewing for a paralegal role at the firm that I got a TC at. Do you have any advice on things to prepare, not really sure how intense this process will be or what I am supposed to demonstrate. Of course I would speak to how this will assist me moving forward/for the TC/at the firm. Thanks in advance!
Be careful to not over emphasise moving on from a role. This can often create a concern as to how motivated you are to actually do the job and stick at it.

This post may help you on what to prepare for an interview:

Reactions: Jaysen

CorporateB3

Star Member
Jul 1, 2020
Be careful to not over emphasise moving on from a role. This can often create a concern as to how motivated you are to actually do the job and stick at it.

This post may help you on what to prepare for an interview:

Thanks, Jessica! I wanted to clarify - so I shouldn't mention that I have a TC with the firm? The recruiter invited me to interview knowing I had a TC.

BiancaM

Distinguished Member
  • Apr 10, 2021
    hi, was wondering if anyone has had experience with AC process for SEO corporate law stream? how would i go about preparing myself for it? (i've not been to an AC before, sorry for the rookie question!)

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    hi, was wondering if anyone has had experience with AC process for SEO corporate law stream? how would i go about preparing myself for it? (i've not been to an AC before, sorry for the rookie question!)
    Assuming they haven’t changed it, the AC consists of two parts. There’s a written exercise which is actually just a quiz testing your general commercial knowledge - definitions of financial terms that kind of thing. The second part is also focused on testing commercial knowledge but it’s verbal and done with the rest of the group, so you get asked questions and respond basically. Id try to prepare by reading the Jake Schogger book and the Christopher Stoakes Know the City. Hope that helps!

• Love
    Reactions: BiancaM and Badawy

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    Morning all, hope everyone's had a good start to their week! I had a query and was hoping this would be the right place to ask and get as many opinions as poss. I am doing the LPC this year, full time, but only have to be on campus twice a week as the uni wants to reduce contact hours for covid etc. I also have a potential opportunity with my future (US) firm to paralegal on a part-time basis for 2-3 days a week in quite a busy department.

Considering I am still studying the LPC full time, is paralegalling alongisde it a good idea? I don't want to do a terrible job of both by being over-worked, esp as that'd leave a bad impression before I even join as a trainee! But, I also think this would be a really good opportunity and I need the money too (I was looking for other part-time jobs in retail anyway)

How have people who worked alongside their full-time course managed their time? Would you recommend it?

TIA x

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Morning all, hope everyone's had a good start to their week! I had a query and was hoping this would be the right place to ask and get as many opinions as poss. I am doing the LPC this year, full time, but only have to be on campus twice a week as the uni wants to reduce contact hours for covid etc. I also have a potential opportunity with my future (US) firm to paralegal on a part-time basis for 2-3 days a week in quite a busy department.

Considering I am still studying the LPC full time, is paralegalling alongisde it a good idea? I don't want to do a terrible job of both by being over-worked, esp as that'd leave a bad impression before I even join as a trainee! But, I also think this would be a really good opportunity and I need the money too (I was looking for other part-time jobs in retail anyway)

How have people who worked alongside their full-time course managed their time? Would you recommend it?

TIA x
    Hey, I paralegalled at my MC firm next to my full time GDL this year and honestly wouldn’t recommend it if you can avoid it. Being a paralegal in a busy department with no consistency in workstream makes it even harder because your schedule is really at the mercy of the matters you’re on. I was working reduced hours as well but in the first semester I spent weeks playing catch up because I essentially spent the first 2 weeks just working on an urgent filing.

I’m not saying it can’t be done - I did it and at the end of the day for me it was beneficial because I really benefited from being able to rely on my colleagues for support, and it helped me stay motivated and remember the end goal. But going forward with the LPC, I won’t be doing them at the same time if I can avoid it.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi Guys,

Did anyone apply to Rare recruitment? I studied outside the UK and I do not know if I should include my grades in percentage

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker

I was wondering if you could shed some light on something, please?

I just finished my first cycle and got a vac scheme (yay!) but was unsuccessful in securing the TC :(. On my feedback call, they said that the main reason I wasn't offered the TC was because I asked too many questions. I also worked for this firm as a paralegal for a year and a half in a different office, and when I asked whether they took that into account, they said they didn't as it would be unfair to the other applicants. I don't understand as I have shown commitment to the firm and got really good references from the partners I worked for previously.

I'm honestly quite confused at this feedback and the firm's attitude - I never thought that asking questions could be considered a negative thing?

Thank you!
    Not Jessica but did they mention what context this was in? Was it too many questions during group presentations or when you were in a seat? If it was the former, although questions are obviously a great way to show you're keen, I've heard it said before that you shouldn't ask so many questions to the extent that other people don't get a chance to contribute. Also, more generally, questions should be well thought-through and not just something you can easily find the answer to - could come across that you're asking just for the sake of asking.

Just my two cents here, obviously not grad rec so could be completely wrong!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

I was wondering if you could shed some light on something, please?

I just finished my first cycle and got a vac scheme (yay!) but was unsuccessful in securing the TC :(. On my feedback call, they said that the main reason I wasn't offered the TC was because I asked too many questions. I also worked for this firm as a paralegal for a year and a half in a different office, and when I asked whether they took that into account, they said they didn't as it would be unfair to the other applicants. I don't understand as I have shown commitment to the firm and got really good references from the partners I worked for previously.

I'm honestly quite confused at this feedback and the firm's attitude - I never thought that asking questions could be considered a negative thing?

Thank you!
    It isn’t that asking questions is a negative thing. But there is a balance and that thinking about whether you can find the answer of your own accord, or ask the most appropriate person, as well as the manner in which and when you ask are factors that need to be taken into consideration when asking questions.

This will be a very different factor to your commitment to the firm - those two elements will be very separate to one another.

Reactions: ofm

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    Hey, I paralegalled at my MC firm next to my full time GDL this year and honestly wouldn’t recommend it if you can avoid it. Being a paralegal in a busy department with no consistency in workstream makes it even harder because your schedule is really at the mercy of the matters you’re on. I was working reduced hours as well but in the first semester I spent weeks playing catch up because I essentially spent the first 2 weeks just working on an urgent filing.

I’m not saying it can’t be done - I did it and at the end of the day for me it was beneficial because I really benefited from being able to rely on my colleagues for support, and it helped me stay motivated and remember the end goal. But going forward with the LPC, I won’t be doing them at the same time if I can avoid it.
    hey, thank you so much for replying. You've definitely made me want to reconsider it. Did you have set days where you worked or how was it structured, out of interest?

BiancaM

Distinguished Member
  • Apr 10, 2021
    Hi Guys,

Did anyone apply to Rare recruitment? I studied outside the UK and I do not know if I should include my grades in percentage
    helloo, i applied and i think they encouraged including everything you possibly can so that they can take it into consideration (grades as percentages if that's how they were displayed on your transcript/exam provider)

D

Deleted member 8227

'You have told us about your academic achievements and work experience and now, in no more than 600 words, we are keen to hear more about you. This should include your extra-curricular activities, positions of responsibility and an achievement of importance which you are most proud of.'

With this question for CC, does anyone know if your greatest achievement can be something you did during employment? it was something I created and took ownership of entirely myself.
    Also does it matter how recent your examples are for extra curriculars? I am struggling for examples post university

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    'You have told us about your academic achievements and work experience and now, in no more than 600 words, we are keen to hear more about you. This should include your extra-curricular activities, positions of responsibility and an achievement of importance which you are most proud of.'

With this question for CC, does anyone know if your greatest achievement can be something you did during employment? it was something I created and took ownership of entirely myself.
    Also does it matter how recent your examples are for extra curriculars? I am struggling for examples post university
    Your achievement can be anything just make sure you think it is your greatest achievement, not what you think the recruiter wants to hear.

It doesn’t matter how long ago your extra curriculars were.

Reactions: Deleted member 8227
    A

Anon 11031

Hi all!

I hope you're all doing well - sorry for the radio silence over the past few weeks!

Is anyone doing the LPC this September by any chance? I just started and I'm massively overwhelmed/lost. Would be nice to link in with people?

☺️

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    hey, thank you so much for replying. You've definitely made me want to reconsider it. Did you have set days where you worked or how was it structured, out of interest?
    “Officially” I was supposed to be working about 2-3 days a week, which was initially set to Tuesdays and Thursdays and then switched to Mondays and Fridays to accommodate my class schedule. On average, I’d say I was doing some sort of work 3-4 days a week just because things really do sneak in left and right. I’m in DR, also a department that is really up and down with its workloads. I can focus much better in the library than at home, but there were days I’d have to structure my library hours around being home for a range of meetings or at the office for tasks, which then kind of ruined my structure during the day. And sometimes I’d come home from the library to find that someone had tried to reach me about something, which also doesn’t feel great. So as you kind of said in your original post, I did feel like I was (at best) giving about 75-80% to each thing, instead of the full 100% I would have preferred to give.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: jan28

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    “Officially” I was supposed to be working about 2-3 days a week, which was initially set to Tuesdays and Thursdays and then switched to Mondays and Fridays to accommodate my class schedule. On average, I’d say I was doing some sort of work 3-4 days a week just because things really do sneak in left and right. I’m in DR, also a department that is really up and down with its workloads. I can focus much better in the library than at home, but there were days I’d have to structure my library hours around being home for a range of meetings or at the office for tasks, which then kind of ruined my structure during the day. And sometimes I’d come home from the library to find that someone had tried to reach me about something, which also doesn’t feel great. So as you kind of said in your original post, I did feel like I was (at best) giving about 75-80% to each thing, instead of the full 100% I would have preferred to give.
    That said, ultimately I still did it and I’m sure you could too. But I am now very very tired and taking 2 weeks of annual leave to recover 😅

Reactions: jan28
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.