TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SS1

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Nov 5, 2020
Sorry guys not applications related, but I'm going through some hurdles in life right now, and I'd appreciate any prayers you'd have. I spend a good chunk of my day on this forum, so IDK why but I'd thought I reach out here 🙏
Hey sending good energy your way. Please know that whatever you are going through WILL pass. and hope everything gets better for you soon.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Sorry guys not applications related, but I'm going through some hurdles in life right now, and I'd appreciate any prayers you'd have. I spend a good chunk of my day on this forum, so IDK why but I'd thought I reach out here 🙏
    My DMs are open if you want to talk, sending love and support your way :)

Reactions: djqb

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    One thought that always helps me is the knowledge that no matter how much today sucks - you never have to do today again! Wishing you all the best.

KB2106

Standard Member
    Feb 3, 2021
    Hi, I have recently submitted an application through Apply4law and noticed that I have inputted the wrong company name corresponding to the work experience. Should I email grad rec about this or leave it as I specifically mentioned the right company name in the detail box of the work experience?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I have recently submitted an application through Apply4law and noticed that I have inputted the wrong company name corresponding to the work experience. Should I email grad rec about this or leave it as I specifically mentioned the right company name in the detail box of the work experience?
    I’d only highlight it if you are successful at getting through to the next stage.

pobploy

Standard Member
    Feb 20, 2021
    Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but I am in a gap year after recently graduated and I'm looking to apply for some paralegal while applying for TCs. Should I only limit myself to FTC or should I also apply to full time paralegal roles to gain some more work experience. I'm not exactly sure how easy it would be to get out of the job once I (hopefully) obtain a TC.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but I am in a gap year after recently graduated and I'm looking to apply for some paralegal while applying for TCs. Should I only limit myself to FTC or should I also apply to full time paralegal roles to gain some more work experience. I'm not exactly sure how easy it would be to get out of the job once I (hopefully) obtain a TC.
    You can apply for permanent roles, but if you do the firm will be expecting you to be in that role for sometime - they won’t want to hear that you are likely to jump ship as soon as you secure a TC.

For this reason and the fact that they tend to be less strict on contract/temp roles, you might find it easier to secure such roles over permanent ones.

Reactions: GXA123

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Morning all, hope everyone's had a good start to their week! I had a query and was hoping this would be the right place to ask and get as many opinions as poss. I am doing the LPC this year, full time, but only have to be on campus twice a week as the uni wants to reduce contact hours for covid etc. I also have a potential opportunity with my future (US) firm to paralegal on a part-time basis for 2-3 days a week in quite a busy department.

Considering I am still studying the LPC full time, is paralegalling alongisde it a good idea? I don't want to do a terrible job of both by being over-worked, esp as that'd leave a bad impression before I even join as a trainee! But, I also think this would be a really good opportunity and I need the money too (I was looking for other part-time jobs in retail anyway)

How have people who worked alongside their full-time course managed their time? Would you recommend it?

TIA x
    Given that the LPC alone will take 35-40 hours per week of your time I would really recommend avoiding paralegalling at the same time because I think that'd just become too much especially if you're in a busy department

• âś…
    Reactions: jan28 and S87

Tcapplicant

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2019
    Just wanted to add my 50p here on paralegal roles! I have been a paralegal for almost 3 years (still no TC but we move!) and it’s very very common for them to ask you if you are wanting a TC sometime in the future. Despite this every single role I have applied for and subsequently interviewed understand that we will use a role as a leapfrog to a TC. They aren’t under any impression that you will be with the firm forever. The role I am in now I’ve only been here 9 months and they are actively helping me apply for TCs. I wouldn’t say just to limit yourself to part time, flex work or anything like that. I think you are cutting yourself out of some great positions. Ambition is a great quality and one that employers want. Be open and clear about your expectations and employers will appreciate that (I’ve interviewed for many paralegals role and I’ve never been told that I was rejected on the basis of wanting a TC in the future and not being with the firm long term)

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Hello all, in need of some advice. I’m a final year student and the HSF winter vs scheme is only open to final year undergrads and graduates. Whilst their spring and summer schemes are open to penultimate year undergrads in addition to finalists and graduates.
    Now, the winter scheme runs 29th Nov-10th Dec, however, I have an exam the 16th of December. So I’ll have very little prep time.
    I know I’ll probably hate myself if I go for the winter scheme, but applying for the scheme only open to finalists and graduates might give me a better chance ?? Does anyone agree? Or should I play it safer in terms of exams and go for the summer scheme? Or does it just not matter and I’m thinking way too much about this lol
    I really like HSF and just want to give myself the best chance possible! Thanks :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello all, in need of some advice. I’m a final year student and the HSF winter vs scheme is only open to final year undergrads and graduates. Whilst their spring and summer schemes are open to penultimate year undergrads in addition to finalists and graduates.
    Now, the winter scheme runs 29th Nov-10th Dec, however, I have an exam the 16th of December. So I’ll have very little prep time.
    I know I’ll probably hate myself if I go for the winter scheme, but applying for the scheme only open to finalists and graduates might give me a better chance ?? Does anyone agree? Or should I play it safer in terms of exams and go for the summer scheme? Or does it just not matter and I’m thinking way too much about this lol
    I really like HSF and just want to give myself the best chance possible! Thanks :)
    I don’t think it being open to a certain year group automatically means it’s less competitive. From my understanding there will be more places in the Spring/Summer schemes combined than the winter scheme.

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    I don’t think it being open to a certain year group automatically means it’s less competitive. From my understanding there will be more places in the Spring/Summer schemes combined than the winter scheme.
    Thanks Jessica :)
    Whilst competitiveness is a large consideration lol. I think I’m more considering, should I take the risk to attend a vs which seems to be more geared towards my year group/might be a better consequent fit? Good advice about the summer vs having more spaces! Thanks again :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks Jessica :)
    Whilst competitiveness is a large consideration lol. I think I’m more considering, should I take the risk to attend a vs which seems to be more geared towards my year group/might be a better consequent fit? Good advice about the summer vs having more spaces! Thanks again :)
    Vacation schemes won't be geared to a certain demographic - they will be much of a much less, so I don't think it's really a consideration.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi, I wondered if anyone has experienced working part time (approx 8-10 hours per week) during final year of the LLB and came out with great results? I know it's common, but I'd like to know how you found juggling the workload/stress etc? Thanks :)!

Hey! I worked 20 hours a week in my final year + was still applying for TCs. I still graduated with a first class overall but honestly if your financial situation doesn't strictly require you to take on the job then I'd avoid it. I was constantly exhausted, spent 12-15 hour days in the library playing catch up once I had my vacs, and my social life was pretty non-existent lol (not that it mattered to me because by the time you're in third year you generally have a good group of friends anyway). I only did it because I needed the money + was completely okay with not getting a first (although I'm glad I still did). So if graduating with good grades is important to you and you don't need the money - then don't! You already have a TC so just study hard, party hard (haha) and enjoy your final year

• âś…
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and Jaysen
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.