TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
URGENT

Dear @Jessica Booker ,

I was offered an assessment centre with Allen & Overy for a winter vac scheme yesterday afternoon (about 5:30). I immediately booked it for 13th October, the only available dates were the 12th/13th of October. However, I currently have tonsilitis and am very ill (unable to work). I am on a course of antibiotics and anticipate I should be better within a couple of days although I have seen no improvement to date. Do you think it is an option to ask Allen & Overy to push the AC back or do you think this could reduce my chance of being successful? This is my first vac scheme AC and I really don't want to do anything to minimise my chances as I am worried the opportunity may not come around again especially at such a massive firm. Please let me know what you think. (I tagged as 'urgent' as I guess A&O would want as much notice as possible)
Call them (if you can speak ok) and ask them if there are any alternative dates as you are recovering from tonsilitis and are concerned you may not have recovered in time for next week.

Charlie Warren

Jun 11, 2020
Hi guys,

I was wondering if there were any in-person insight events/evenings this year? I much prefer these to virtual ones when getting to know the firms culture and people, but I can only find virtual ones at present. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Wannabe_Lawyer

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Jul 22, 2018
Hi all, just wanted to check if anyone has the same problem as me with Allen & Overy's application. Their application form only allows for a maximum of 20 modules for GCSE-equivalent and above examinations. I completed these outside of the UK and have more than that number to report. I was wondering if anyone had already contacted Grad Recruitment about this and knew of where else I could enter this info?

Thanks!

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hi all, just wanted to check if anyone has the same problem as me with Allen & Overy's application. Their application form only allows for a maximum of 20 modules for GCSE-equivalent and above examinations. I completed these outside of the UK and have more than that number to report. I was wondering if anyone had already contacted Grad Recruitment about this and knew of where else I could enter this info?

Thanks!
    I had a similar problem but for my university modules, I grouped together the ones I had at the end that didn’t fit and listed the module names and then listed the grades for them in that respective order. Not an official solution but something I did!

Reactions: Wannabe_Lawyer

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021

Thanks!
    I also put them together at the end and explained what I had done, I had 53 to report!

MillyWills

Jun 15, 2021

Thanks!
    I emailed grad recruitment about this and they said I should upload my official transcript in the additional documents section

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    Haha even the standard ones like apply4law are a nightmare because of how long it takes to fill in every time!
    Just to let you know, you can autosave your modules/results and other information on apply4law so that it appears in every application! I think it is called MyLocker or something like that. It will save you a lot of time!

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    Just to let you know, you can autosave your modules/results and other information on apply4law so that it appears in every application! I think it is called MyLocker or something like that. It will save you a lot of time!
    Haha wish I'd known that last year... is it a third-party app or something?

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Haha wish I'd known that last year... is it a third-party app or something?
    It’s through LawCareers.Net! On their website they have a separate page called the Locker where you can connect it to Apply4Law. Then, when you start a new application you get the option to “link to MyLocker”.

ilovetheDLR

Star Member
  • Feb 10, 2021
    Does anyone know what it means if a firm doesn't have a true picture profile on Chambers Student? Is it just that they didn't pay Chambers? Or does it mean that they're trying to hide something haha

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Does anyone know what it means if a firm doesn't have a true picture profile on Chambers Student? Is it just that they didn't pay Chambers? Or does it mean that they're trying to hide something haha

Just had a read of how they do their research and they require the firm to give them a full list of trainees for them to chat to at random. So maybe they do have something to hide .....

• Haha
    Reactions: Wannabe_Lawyer
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.