TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Really? I submitted on a Sunday and had the WG at 9:30 the next day, assumed they did an eligibility screen at most rather than a full review of the app
They're extremely efficient. Probably because it's still quite early in the process.

I got my WG two months after applying. Then, I was given my video interview invite about a week ago. Then, they invited me to AC yesterday.

• 🏆
Reactions: summer207 and mckelly

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi everyone,

Before I sign off for the evening (and most likely for tomorrow too!), I wanted to wish you all a very happy Christmas 🎄. I know how stressful this period can feel when applying. Try your absolute best to take time off and allow yourself to relax.

Downtime is just as important, if not more, than the time you spend applying. You need to be fresh to write strong applications. Value and take your mental health seriously too. Being well in yourself is more important than any application(!).

So be kind and check in with yourself over the next few days. 🚀

As always, we are here as support if you need it!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone,

Before I sign off for the evening (and most likely for tomorrow too!), I wanted to wish you all a very happy Christmas 🎄. I know how stressful this period can feel when applying. Try your absolute best to take time off and allow yourself to relax.

Downtime is just as important, if not more, than the time you spend applying. You need to be fresh to write strong applications. Value and take your mental health seriously too. Being well in yourself is more important than any application(!).

So be kind and check in with yourself over the next few days. 🚀

As always, we are here as support if you need it!

Completely echo this. I wish everyone a lovely Christmas break: please do take the time to look after yourself and switch off from all things application-related wherever you can.

No doubt all of you deserve some time to celebrate how well you have done this year.

nae_omi

Standard Member
    Feb 8, 2021
    Hi @nae_omi thanks for your query. The email, which was sent to everyone who applied from 13 December onwards, was simply to manage expectations as it isn't possible to review all applications before Christmas (I'm on annual leave between Christmas and NY). Thanks, Gemma
    Oh, thank you Gemma for the reply, I hope you have a great time on your annual leave.

Reactions: WillkieGemma

nae_omi

Standard Member
    Feb 8, 2021
    I received a video interview invite yesterday and they said in the 'interest of everyone receiving a break over the holidays they won't be sending anything else until the 4th of January', I assume this will be the same for the initial application stage.

So I wouldn't assume anything at this stage.
    Ohh okay, and congratulations on your video Interview!! that's amazing

Reactions: AspiringTrainee

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Thank you @AvniD !! What are your top tips for making sure we apply commercial awareness to the case study questions. I need to make sure I answer in enough detail and I need to be able to think on my feet a bit more, so do you have any advice for this? Thanks!
    Hey @OO28! My best tip would be to think about the implications of the case study for your client and how you can implement legal/commercial solutions to deal with them. For example, if the case study raises an issue about a client's employees leaving to join their competitors and the resulting loss of trade secrets, then the next logical step is to discuss using non-compete/non-solicitation clauses to help tackle this issue.

The more you read business news, the more you will be able to develop this skill. Every time you read business news, try to think of how a law firm would be engaged in a deal- would they be bringing in their litigation, M&A, property, competition etc. expertise? Which offices would be involved? What would be some challenges and opportunities for the firm?

My recommendations for business news sources that can help develop this skill efficiently are Financial Times, Watsons Daily and the TCLA Newsletter. I hope this helps! 😇

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    For Baker McKenzie application one of the questions is to Select three key skills that you believe are critical to the role of a commercial lawyer. How have you developed these skills?

Those who were successful and got the Watson Glaser test invite did you talk about skills related to their values or did you just talk about skills in general relevant to a commercial solicitor. Thank you in advance for any advice.
    Hi @Asil Ahmad! I'd approach this more generally, while keeping the firm's core competencies in mind to see if they align in any way. So what that would look like for me is to state the key skill ➡️ how do you know that this is a key skill for a commercial lawyer (event, research, conversation, webinar etc. that may have helped you learn this) ➡️ how have you developed this (a volunteering role, job, competition etc- whatever works to demonstrate this! I hope this helps?

• Love
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Merry Christmas Santa GIF by Holly Logan

🎁🎅🎆Happy holidays everyone! ❄️☃️🎄

I hope you take this time to allow yourselves to have fun, reflect, be kind to yourselves for working so hard and relax- you absolutely deserve it.

I will be working through the holidays so please don't hesitate to tag me in your posts here on the forum if I can help you with your application journey in any way.
    As always- you've got this! 💪

✨Take care and stay safe y'all! ✨

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi @Asil Ahmad! I'd approach this more generally, while keeping the firm's core competencies in mind to see if they align in any way. So what that would look like for me is to state the key skill ➡️ how do you know that this is a key skill for a commercial lawyer (event, research, conversation, webinar etc. that may have helped you learn this) ➡️ how have you developed this (a volunteering role, job, competition etc- whatever works to demonstrate this! I hope this helps?
    Thank you very much for this. This is really helpful and insightful really this.

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.