TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi! I'm a final year law student and was wondering when I should start looking/applying for graduate roles i.e. legal assistant/paralegal roles?
I would recommend to start applying for roles about 8 weeks before you are ready to start a job.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know the average salary of an in house trainee in London?
Unfortunately it will vary a lot by organisation - an asset manager/investment bank is likely to be paying much higher than a public sector organisation. Glassdoor might be best the way to try and find out based on the sector that TC is based in.

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
Dec 21, 2021
Would appreciate any thoughts on the following- I've missed some of the deadlines for VCs so was going to apply for direct TCs for some firms. A partner at a US firm (from a mentoring scheme I'm on) has mentioned that it might be best to hold off until Sep 2022 and apply to VCs then rather than direct TC now, given that the intake is a lot lower. They suggested that it might be detrimental to apply both now for a direct TC and then a VC in next window as reapplying
to firms lowers chances of progressing.

Thanks!

djqb

Legendary Member
Sep 6, 2020
Would appreciate any thoughts on the following- I've missed some of the deadlines for VCs so was going to apply for direct TCs for some firms. A partner at a US firm (from a mentoring scheme I'm on) has mentioned that it might be best to hold off until Sep 2022 and apply to VCs then rather than direct TC now, given that the intake is a lot lower. They suggested that it might be detrimental to apply both now for a direct TC and then a VC in next window as reapplying
to firms lowers chances of progressing.

Thanks!
If you are allowed to submit a vacation scheme application in the next cycle (commencing September 2022) after going through the direct TC process this cycle (should you be unsuccessful), there's no harm in applying for a direct TC this cycle, even if there's a smaller intake. You would otherwise be missing out on an application opportunity.

Reactions: AvniD

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
Dec 21, 2021
If you are allowed to submit a vacation scheme application in the next cycle (commencing September 2022) after going through the direct TC process this cycle (should you be unsuccessful), there's no harm in applying for a direct TC this cycle, even if there's a smaller intake. You would otherwise be missing out on an application opportunity.
Thank you!

Reactions: djqb

JD

Distinguished Member
May 1, 2020
Does anyone know how to make it so there are spaces for the Travers Smith cover letter? Every time I make spaces, it just puts in one big block of text.

djqb

Legendary Member
Sep 6, 2020
Does anyone know how to make it so there are spaces for the Travers Smith cover letter? Every time I make spaces, it just puts in one big block of text.
I wrote down my cover letter in notepad first and then copied it to the application portal - it was all fine

Just don't use word since it causes formatting errors

Reactions: JD

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
Dec 21, 2021
Hi everyone, would appreciate your thoughts on the following Q:

Please outline the reasons why you wish to pursue a career in commercial law at Osborne Clarke. Within your answer you should also include details of how you have developed your interest in the profession through your non-academic experiences. (300 words)

Would the best approach for this be to say why OC, and then link this reason to why commercial law? Or can we answer these questions separately?

Thanks!

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi everyone, would appreciate your thoughts on the following Q:

Please outline the reasons why you wish to pursue a career in commercial law at Osborne Clarke. Within your answer you should also include details of how you have developed your interest in the profession through your non-academic experiences. (300 words)

Would the best approach for this be to say why OC, and then link this reason to why commercial law? Or can we answer these questions separately?

Thanks!
There's no need to link as such- your interest in the profession can be distinct from OC. However, if you feel inclined to link the two, the way I'd suggest you do this is by using a broader, core reason for your interest in the profession and fitting a narrower, interlinked reason for being interested in OC within it. Does that make sense?

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
Dec 21, 2021
There's no need to link as such- your interest in the profession can be distinct from OC. However, if you feel inclined to link the two, the way I'd suggest you do this is by using a broader, core reason for your interest in the profession and fitting a narrower, interlinked reason for being interested in OC within it. Does that make sense?
Thank you- so essentially only link them if it comes naturally.

Reactions: AvniD

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
Dec 21, 2021
@AvniD

Could you help me with the following aswell pls (White & Case app):

Please give details of any interests and extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility or achievements.

- Is it okay to bullet-point for this?
- There is no word count- how much would be too much for this (my answer is quite long given the q asks about quite alot)?
- Is it okay to separate into sections using headings- i.e. 1)Interests and extra-curricular activities; 2)positions of responsibility; 3)achievements

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@AvniD

Could you help me with the following aswell pls (White & Case app):

Please give details of any interests and extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility or achievements.

- Is it okay to bullet-point for this?
- There is no word count- how much would be too much for this (my answer is quite long given the q asks about quite alot)?
- Is it okay to separate into sections using headings- i.e. 1)Interests and extra-curricular activities; 2)positions of responsibility; 3)achievements
I’d personally avoid bullet points and write more in prose.

I’d probably aim for no more than 500 words for the entirety of this section.

You can use headings, but be mindful that you might not be able to format them as such (eg you might not be able to bold or underline the text). The headings might not be necessary either, and might help you with your word count.

Reactions: TCApp2021
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.