TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi guys,

I was looking at HL application and I was wondering how to approach a question where I need to give an example of something that shows my innovation and entrepreneurial spirit. Do you have any suggestions?

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Hi guys,

I was looking at HL application and I was wondering how to approach a question where I need to give an example of something that shows my innovation and entrepreneurial spirit. Do you have any suggestions?
Haha I ditched the app on the basis of this question alone.

I think broadly though if you've ever done anything in a work context where you improved a process in some way, or helped kick off a new initiative with a student society or something, that should be fair play

imo the question framing is a bit janky because it reads like it's about starting a business or coding an app or something but obviously most people haven't done that, so I imagine that can't be exclusively what they're getting at - though for some people of course it will apply.

Reactions: Adrian_S and AvniD

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Hi guys,

It might help to bear in mind that 1) entrepreneurship and innovation are fundamentally about using initiative to remedy some defect or deficiency, and 2) the problems which entrepreneurs and innovators set out to solve are, in the overwhelming majority of cases, fairly marginal and stunningly banal - problems that lots of people in whatever context deal with but which it wouldn't even occur to them to solve.

Loads of innovation comes from someone being annoyed about some part of their job and thinking up ways to make it less annoying. It can be surprisingly prosaic

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hi! Congratulations, you did amazing! Could you please detail your experience regarding the AC at BCLP, tasks involved, and any tips? Thank you!
    Hey can I ask when you did your interview? Trying to gauge when I should expect a response from mine :)

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Haha I ditched the app on the basis of this question alone.

I think broadly though if you've ever done anything in a work context where you improved a process in some way, or helped kick off a new initiative with a student society or something, that should be fair play

imo the question framing is a bit janky because it reads like it's about starting a business or coding an app or something but obviously most people haven't done that, so I imagine that can't be exclusively what they're getting at - though for some people of course it will apply.
    I feel like the question cuts off a wide range of candidates, my job does not allow me to really move things around and show how innovative I am.
    I think that I need to make a decision by the end of the day...I cannot be stressed anymore. Covington sucked the life out of me lol!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Adrian_S and Rob93

Arche172372

Distinguished Member
    Jan 7, 2022
    I don't think that's really quantifiable in a useful way. Average apps is probably like 10-20 per cycle, but I've done as few as 3 in my first cycle and have seen people do like 40 (built different). I know someone who did I think 3 - to the Magic Triangle PE firms - got 1 interview and nabbed the TC. That's probably an outlier but there's something to be said for intensity of focus.

Conversion from app to AC alone is variable but anecdotally I'd say that like 2 progressions per 10 apps is a pretty impressive conversion rate - Jessica or other TCLA staff might have a more nuanced view on this. 1 or nil per 10 is, unfortunately (not least for me) quite common, but there will also be candidates with golden profiles and a winning application strategy that have much higher conversion rates so it's v hard to generalise
    Yeah fair I guess it’s different for everyone. I’ve applied to 13 - got one spring vs offer. 4 interviews for summer (don’t know outcome yet) have been rejected by some and not heard from others. Though as this is my first cycle I just felt like shooting my shot!

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    I feel like the question cuts off a wide range of candidates, my job does not allow me to really move things around and show how innovative I am.
    I think that I need to make a decision by the end of the day...I cannot be stressed anymore. Covington sucked the life out of me lol!
    It is an awful question (in my opinion) and definitely a stumbling block for candidates who haven't come across the right opportunities to build out that sort of thing. Hope Covington went well and best of luck with HL!

• 🤝
    Reactions: George Maxwell

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Has anyone ever had success applying to direct TCs with NO legal work experience?

Ive only been applying to summer VACs and was thinking of switching things up a bit but I don’t know whether there’s any point?
    Think someone here the other day mentioned getting to AC at A&O without legal work experience? Probably easier if you study/studied law at uni, I presume eyebrows would be raised at an English grad applying for TCs right out the gate

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    • 🤝
    Reactions: George Maxwell and YUKI1201

CorporateLaw101

Legendary Member
  • Nov 16, 2021
    I applied to 12
    1 rejection post-app 😍
    4 currently airing me post-app 😍
    5 currently airing me post-VI 😍
    2 AC
    Lemme guess,

being aired post interview by Reed Smith, Clyde and Co?

post app airing by White and Case and Linklaters?

- it’s been a lovely Christmas break but I need to get my head in the game. Out of 5 applications:

1 VI

3 post SJT/Watson that I haven’t heard a peep from

and one PFO from A&O

Reactions: unserious candidate

CorporateLaw101

Legendary Member
  • Nov 16, 2021
    tbf to RS, they said we'd hear back late-Jan post-VI and we've only just hit mid-Jan so I wouldn't say they're airing so sit tight if you're waiting to hear back from them
    Very true. Not worried about RS. Linklaters summer is what we’re all waiting for which I’m 99% sure we will know the outcome by next week.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Lemme guess,

being aired post interview by Reed Smith, Clyde and Co?

post app airing by White and Case and Linklaters?

- it’s been a lovely Christmas break but I need to get my head in the game. Out of 5 applications:

1 VI

3 post SJT/Watson that I haven’t heard a peep from

and one PFO from A&O
    Links is still airing post-app? Wild

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.