TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AspiringTrainee

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 22, 2021
    Does anyone know what would happen if your placement clashed with yo ur graduation ceremony? I.e. would need one day off from placement to attend
    It was mentioned recently in the forum but I believe firms accept you’ll want to go graduation and let you have the day off, unless you have things planned etc. It’s always best to check with your firm

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Forsters Assessment Day!! Anyone else in the same boat who might want to discuss prep?

Does anyone have tips on in-person assessment days - group exercise, written exercise and in-person partner interview? (also what is smart casual/business wear???)
    There is a forum thread on clothing (mainly women but also men) here:
    https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....-especially-for-women.3586/page-4#post-102944
    Smart casual/business means more office than wedding, more office than nightclub, more casual than you feeling like you are so dressed up to the nines that you are no longer yourself. It's suggesting you don't need to rush out and spend your student loan on anything too chichi, but it needs to be clean, ironed, not a sweatshirt. If you are a guy you can't go too wrong with a shirt and tie (wear a vest underneath if you are cold and don't have a jacket). If you are a girl then a V-neck jumper with a scarf or necklace is an inexpensive way to look a bit polished; otherwise something you might wear to visit an old headteacher or your favourite relative - dressed up a bit, nothing too short, you get the idea.

Look like the person you might want to buy something from. Smart, trustworthy, ready.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey @Jessica Booker, If you're feeling ill on the day of an assessment centre (currently got COVID), is it fair to caveat this to your interviewers at the start of the interview? I feel as though it may impact my performance but at the same time I don't want to sound like I'm just making any excuses etc.

Do you have any thoughts?
    You can mention it - although it’s better to reschedule if you can.

They can’t really factor it in though unfortunately. It’s impossible for them to know if or how it will have impacted your performance.

Reactions: GXA123 and Anoned

CorporateLaw101

Legendary Member
  • Nov 16, 2021

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    I had an AC with HSF a couple of weeks ago. I did get asked on the 'introduce to a topic you know about' question but the associate taking the interview had involvement in the topic I wrote about so it might be dependent on who interviews you! They didn't ask any questions on closest competitors, new office etc more the standard why HSF, why commercial law stuff, then general competency questions.

just to add to this. I also had a HSF AC a few weeks back. they did ask me about the 'introduce me to a topic' question in quite a bit of detail (and the associate did not have any involvement with my topic).
    I also agree with he the general why hsf, why commercial law, general competencies. I wasn't asked anything really specific and the competency interview was really quite standard :)

Hey @AspiringIPLawyer,

I feel grateful that we have such a fantastic community who can offer you some more contemporary (and potentially more accurate advice than me on this given that my interview was nearly a year ago. Thank you for the above @amerlin2022 and @unserious candidate.

Just to start, please always feel free to ask as many questions/clarifiers as you need. I am here to help where I can and am delighted to do so!

So for my interview, I actually wasn't asked about the topic I mentioned in my application. That being said, I did prepare for questions on it, and in line with the users that have replied previously, I think it would be prudent to do so.

With regard to your second question, I also was not asked about where HSF should open up their next office. That being said, much like the special topic, just because it was not mentioned in my interview, does not mean that it will/will not come up! I always took the approach if I could think of a question that could reasonably be asked in an interview/AC, and I could not comfortably think of an answer, I needed to prepare more thoroughly.

Definitely double-down on your three whys and practice(!). I really think practicing is the secret to success at interviews. My HSF competency interview was really unstructured and dynamic, so although it is difficult to prepare for in some ways, more experience thinking on your feet in an interview will only be helpful!

I am so glad to hear that found Jake Schogger's book useful 🏆

Honestly, more graduate recruitment managers should be looking to hire candidates like me, who have 0 competing offers.

@Rob93 I'm backing you all the way. It will not be long until you get something.

I should mention too, the community would not be the same without you 🙌

also got a Covington VS offer yesterday afternoon :) Does anyone have any insight into what the VS is like or how competitive it is? specifically, what percentage of participants (+ how many) apply for a training contracts and are successful in their applications?

@WannabeSolicitor24 might have an insight for you on this?

Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for an individual written assessment for an AC? Have one tomorrow but not sure what to look at - are they similar to case studies? Any help would be great, thanks!

Hey @aspiringsolicitor2000,

This, this and this post might be helpful! Very best of luck for your written assessment! Fingers crossed it goes/went well!

Does anyone have tips for AC negotiation exercises? Any guidance would be much appreciated :)

Hey @RkRk0681,

One tip is definitely to consider that you are working with rather than against the other side. Try to create an atmosphere of mutual benefit. Listen to their needs and work with your negotiation partner (by listening to their contributions!).

Remember that you would be likely to work with the other side in the future (if you were actually practicing). Given this would be the case, ultimately would not want to make an enemy of them for your next negotiation!

Please do let me know if I can be of any further help!

@George Maxwell @James Carrabino I am tabbing both of you because you two have been great moderators for the forum! I thought my chances for this recruitment cycle were getting quite grim until I recently received an online test invite from a firm that has taken a while to get back to me (to put it diplomatically 😂)

Given the slight chance of me making my way into the AC, I thought it'd be prudent if I start to ramp up my AC preparation as well. Can you recommend/refer to me any forum post or TCLA course that can help on this? As a way to give me a head start?

Thank you all so much. I can't say enough how much I already appreciated the work that y'all have been doing!

Hey @John Doe,

Thank you so much for the kind words. Both @James Carrabino and I really appreciated this! It made my evening.

I am really pleased to hear that you have been progressed to the next stage- that's fantastic news!

To add to what James has already said (I couldn't say it better myself!), in terms of TCLA courses to check out, it depends on the firm. However, I know that Jaysen is particularly proud of our Private Equity course ("Private Equity for Commercial Law") and the content really is fantastic. If this is relevant for the firm you are interviewing with, this is a must. In addition, I would definitely consider our "TCLA to TC" course!

Fingers crossed that it goes well for you. Please do let us know how it went once you have completed it. Here if you would like any further help or advice!

Does anyone know if HSF always gets back to successful people on the AC the same day?

Hi @JSM123,

I personally did, but this may not always be the case. Do not assume that you have not progressed if you do not hear immediately! Something might happen which results in a delay to the process (e.g., a hitch in communications etc.).

Wishing you the very best of luck. My fingers are crossed for you 🤞

• Love
    Reactions: James Carrabino

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Fellow law students, how the hell are you balancing everything right now? With preparation for ACs/Interviews/final few applications, I am so behind in my law degree and literally just doing the bare minimum i.e the assignments I have due. Will I ever be able to catch up once this period of crazy is over?!
    The balancing act is probably one of the toughest things to do while in uni. The key lies in re-prioritising where possible, understanding what you need to achieve on a daily + weekly + monthly basis and being kind to yourself if certain things need to be dropped or delayed either at uni or while making apps.

You will be able to catch up, just not in the same pace or same manner that you would've had you not had to balance so many things at once.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Willkie final stage interview! I can't believe it
    😭

Also, I am currently waiting for the outcome of two other ACs and I have been finding it increasingly difficult to prepare. Whenever I practice answers to some basic motivational/competency based questions, I get flashbacks to what I said in the previous interviews and start overthinking it (how could I have answered it better/differently). Does anyone have any tips on how to deal with it that?
    Maybe you haven't processed what worked and didn't in your previous interviews and they're now presenting themselves as intrusive thoughts? I'd encourage you to write down where you think you answered questions really well and where/how you think you have improved and can improve- this may help you to come to a point of closure with these past experiences and avoid overthinking about them in your future ACs.

Reactions: M991 and djqb

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hey does anyone have any advice on when they ask in interviews about increased taxes and the budgets of governments. I definitely have some opinions but politics is a sensitive subject and to be honest, my lack of fiscal and tax knowledge would probably come out. For example - what do you think about tax increases or the governments new budget? I just don’t really know how to go about answering these types of questions.
    Thanks in advance!
    Talk about it from a commercial perspective- for example how you foresee tax increases impacting a law firm's clients and the economy more generally. You don't need to delve into politics at all.

toilatrang

Junior Lawyer
    Jun 20, 2021
    I had an Ac last week, and I thought it went really badly! I literally spend all weekend pacing over questions rewording them ect and it was so stressful. I would say try and distract yourself if you can, going out with friends/ family ect or even watching Netflix. Also whenever you catch yourself getting anxious try and reframe your thoughts to “I tried my best and the outcome is out my hands now ect.” I found myself not even realising I was thinking about it and going over it.

It’s really stressful, but I ended up getting the offer! Hope everything goes well for you!
    Thank you for your advice! Definitely need to reframe my thoughts in that way. Also well done on getting the offer :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: George Maxwell
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.