TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
I've just been invited to an assessment centre with Irwin Mitchell (YAY!!) (Manchester office for anyone still waiting!)

however, they've only given one date and it conflicts with an LPC exam. They have said on the email that if unable to attend the allocated date it is unlikely they will be able to make other arrangements.

What should I do? @Jessica Booker is it likely that I would be able to resit the exam in summer so I can attend the assessment centre?
I had a similar issue with an LPC exam and my provider basically said tough luck - if I choose not to sit the exam I'd have to apply for a concession for absence and the exam board may not accept that as a valid reason so I may fail the assessment and then have to take it as second attempt showing as a resit on my transcript and the various capping implications that that would have on the final grade. Instead I spoke to the company whom the interview was with and they were very understanding and offered me an alternative date.

xtinew

Distinguished Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    I kindly asked Pinsents for an update on my AC by email just because I need to travel for my next in-person AC and I would withdraw the in-person one if Pinsents gives me an offer. Ideally, this wouldn't happen too close to the assigned day (this Thursday).

They haven't gotten back to me since I sent the email Thursday of last week. Would I be able to give them all a call tomorrow morning because of the urgency? @Jessica Booker

edit: my AC was on Feb 9th

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    I kindly asked Pinsents for an update on my AC by email just because I need to travel for my next in-person AC and I would withdraw the in-person one if Pinsents gives me an offer. Ideally, this wouldn't happen too close to the assigned day (this Thursday).

They haven't gotten back to me since I sent the email Thursday of last week. Would I be able to give them all a call tomorrow morning because of the urgency? @Jessica Booker
    could you please update me on when they are willing to come back? I am also waiting for them to get back.

Last edited:
    Reactions: xtinew

manchester12

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 18, 2021
    I just finished Kirkland's TC interview yesterday and I keep feeling anxious over how I did and the result etc., even though I thought that the interview went well. How do you cope with the post-interview stress??
    I also realised that I forgot to put my name on the written exercise (the interview was in office) and I emailed HR about it but I think it exaggerated my stress even more.
    I had an Ac last week, and I thought it went really badly! I literally spend all weekend pacing over questions rewording them ect and it was so stressful. I would say try and distract yourself if you can, going out with friends/ family ect or even watching Netflix. Also whenever you catch yourself getting anxious try and reframe your thoughts to “I tried my best and the outcome is out my hands now ect.” I found myself not even realising I was thinking about it and going over it.

It’s really stressful, but I ended up getting the offer! Hope everything goes well for you!

• 🏆
    • 🤝
    Reactions: George Maxwell, M991 and Adrian_S

Anoned

Distinguished Member
    Nov 1, 2021
    Hey @Jessica Booker, If you're feeling ill on the day of an assessment centre (currently got COVID), is it fair to caveat this to your interviewers at the start of the interview? I feel as though it may impact my performance but at the same time I don't want to sound like I'm just making any excuses etc.

Do you have any thoughts?

Reactions: George Maxwell

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Hey @Jessica Booker, If you're feeling ill on the day of an assessment centre (currently got COVID), is it fair to caveat this to your interviewers at the start of the interview? I feel as though it may impact my performance but at the same time I don't want to sound like I'm just making any excuses etc.

Do you have any thoughts?
    I had covid on my assessment day and the first thing I did was contact Grad rec who said they’d let the team know (it was too late to get my date changed). Although I didn’t mention it at the beginning of my interview, I did throw in a comment when asked why I’d make a good trainee I said my resilience and drive like doing this AC with Covid!

Anoned

Distinguished Member
    Nov 1, 2021
    I had covid on my assessment day and the first thing I did was contact Grad rec who said they’d let the team know (it was too late to get my date changed). Although I didn’t mention it at the beginning of my interview, I did throw in a comment when asked why I’d make a good trainee I said my resilience and drive like doing this AC with Covid!
    That's great thanks for letting me know!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.