Aspiring.lawyer.to.be

Legendary Member
  • Nov 26, 2019
    Hi guys,

I’m just helping a friend of mine. He studied the LPC in September 2018 at Ulaw. He managed to pass all his subjects at 1st attempt with distinctions. Unfortunately, he failed two of his elective modules. During those exams he went through a lot due to funeral/bereavement. However, he still pushed himself and sat those elective exams. He managed to barely pass all the other electives but failed two of them. It’s now Feb and he had been going through depression and not wanting to speak to anyone about it. He sought medical help and GP advised him to go for counselling. He tried self-referral counselling but it didn’t help his depression. The next resit for the electives is in June 2020. I thought he should submit a concession application to Ulaw. The concession application requires a medical opinion to state restrospectively as whether or not he was incapable of sitting the exam. Also - he would need to submit a reason for the delay in submitting the concession application. I thought we can also submit the death certificate to prove the bereavement. My friend has finally decided to listen to me and seek medical help again.

I thought i should share his story here to see if i can may be motivate you guys or may be gain some advice if you think this is possible? Whether anyone has submitted concession applications to ulaw in the past? If the concession application is rejected, do you think law firms would accept this situation as a mitigating circumstances?

There is always this worry/fear that the overall LPC will be capped at a pass if you don’t pass ALL your subjects at first attempt. (Especially at ULaw - i don’t know about any other providers)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    They need to speak to their university ASAP, one) to highlight the circumstances and two) to ensure the university can provide the appropriate support.

the later they leave it, the more difficult all of this will become.

Vave

Mar 30, 2020
    Dude, it is really sad. However, I understand your friend... I also was in the same situation after graduation of university. I didn't know what I should to do and didn't what to speak with friends and even to go out. One day, I was surfing the internet and saw a very interesting offer to get Cisco Certification online. I know that it is very asked and researched this website. Try to reccomend your friend to use it, because all process of studying is online. There very competent teachers from Top IT companies and many categories of learning. Studying saved me from total "mental death". Hope that everything will be okay.

Last edited:

IgwararAA

Sep 2, 2020
    Hi guys,

I’m just helping a friend of mine. He studied the LPC in September 2018 at Ulaw. He managed to pass all his subjects at 1st attempt with distinctions. Unfortunately, he failed two of his elective modules. During those exams he went through a lot due to funeral/bereavement. However, he still pushed himself and sat those elective exams. He managed to barely pass all the other electives but failed two of them. It’s now Feb and he had been going through depression and not wanting to speak to anyone about it. He sought medical help and GP advised him to go for counselling. He tried self-referral counselling but it didn’t help his depression. The next resit for the electives is in June 2020. I thought he should submit a concession application to Ulaw. The concession application requires a medical opinion to state restrospectively as whether or not he was incapable of sitting the exam. Also - he would need to submit a reason for the delay in submitting the concession application. I thought we can also submit the death certificate to prove the bereavement. My friend has finally decided to listen to me and seek medical help again.

I thought i should share his story here to see if i can may be motivate you guys or may be gain some advice if you think this is possible? Whether anyone has submitted concession applications to ulaw in the past? If the concession application is rejected, do you think law firms would accept this situation as a mitigating circumstances?

There is always this worry/fear that the overall LPC will be capped at a pass if you don’t pass ALL your subjects at first attempt. (Especially at ULaw - i don’t know about any other providers)
    Hi, man! I think first of all he should get out of the depression. When a person is ill or depressed, he needs to do something to distract yourself from the sad. The best way is reading. Education always helps a person to develop and not think about bad things. Let him try to enroll in programming courses with the guys from SPOTOclub.com. They present the material very well and clearly. I was at University and I almost got depressed myself. There was a lot to prepare for the exams, and I didn't know anything. But in the end, everything passed well.

Last edited:

Kayray

Oct 20, 2023
    Hi guys,

Hey did your friend put in a concession application for another first attempt. I'm in the same boat I've had a lot going on and I'm going to apply for a concession. Was Ur friend successful with the application

Kayray

Oct 20, 2023
    Hiya, did your friend put in a concession application for an additional first attempt? And was he successful? I am in the same boat as him and I failed an elective. I've been going through depression etc but now I'm even more stressed because I failed

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.