Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
A lot of firms have said they are scrapping A-Level/GCSE requirements, yet they still ask you to complete those details in the application form - might lead to some sort of indirect bias.

At least you can apply and your application is still reviewed. Previously, many systems would stop you from applying or would get a straight no/no review of application if you had applied.

Last edited:
Reactions: OB

CorporateB3

Star Member
Jul 1, 2020
As a law student who is looking to submit applications to various law firms - is there a preference for modules that I take as an undergrad? I am very interested in a number of non-commercial electives but don't want to send a message that I'm not interested in commercial law.

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
Sep 6, 2018
As a law student who is looking to submit applications to various law firms - is there a preference for modules that I take as an undergrad? I am very interested in a number of non-commercial electives but don't want to send a message that I'm not interested in commercial law.

It doesn't matter what modules you take but just be prepared to justify why you didn't choose more commercial ones. I've only ever been asked about my modules once but this is even less of an issue now that most interviews are conducted on a CV-blind basis.

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020

Not at all. Recruiters understand you might not get a choice to pursue commercial electives at uni because of class sizes/lack of availability/module quality. You'd make up for it on the LPC anyway especially if it's a firm that chooses your modules or goes through BPP. Usually you can show your interest much better in other ways by going to open days, vac schemes, doing extracurriculars etc. Plus you'll probably get better grades doing something you're more interested in, even if it isn't Corporate Law 101. It would probably be harder to justify getting a 3rd in a commercial module you hated than choosing to pick public international law instead tbh!!

Popal

Distinguished Member
    Feb 25, 2020
    Hi

Has anyone on this forum had any experience applying to the Government Legal Department? I have an Assessment Day in a few weeks. Any tips or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,

I went through a similar application process as a paralegal. Definitely know the success profiles, particularly the civil service behaviours (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/success-profiles) as this will be what you are assessed on. There will be strength-based and behaviour-based questions, prepare to talk around the success profile buzzwords e.g. 'how have you ensured you have made effective decisions in the past'. Also, they mark you more highly if you use active words e.g. 'I delivered', 'I communicated' etc.

Hope this helps!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: OB

XARA

Esteemed Member
    Jul 27, 2020
    1. Tech & innovation
    2. Types of work. They will be mostly coming from restructuring, litigation & PE (other departments might be quieter); and a boom in the both tech and healthcare sectors
    3. Emphasis on employees' mental health // productivity
    4. Remote working & the future of the office sector in the City (is it worth paying those rents for a swimming pool that nobody is in?)

I've answered something similar; excuse the brevity due to the word limit.

Provide one or two commercial impacts of COVID-19 on the UK legal profession in 2020/2021 with an explanation of the impact(s)?

Lockdown restriction has exacerbated consumers’ habits from brick and mortar to digital commerce. Consequently, one of the big commercial impacts of COVID-19 is the continued rise of e-commerce. A new normal means that e-commerce is likely to have a big share of the economy.

First, transactions on e-commerce will bring about opportunities for the FinTech department in various City law firms. Most e-commerce activities are conducted either through mobile phones or web-based purchasing. Any fast-growing companies must strive to improve their payments services to achieve the goal of frictionless trade.

Second, retailers retain their customers on e-commerce through personalising web content, offers and promotions. Consequently, the emphasis on data privacy will have an impact on the focus of legal advice due to the associated reputational damages that could give rise to.

With this trend, it also means that a lot of the legal work from the retail industry has turned into restructuring and insolvency. Given the UK is entering into a recession, the following year will be characterised by insolvencies, even with a V-shape recovery. The new normal of social distancing that transformed our shopping habits define the types of work the legal profession will handle in the next year.

Thanks for this really comprehensive message! So great to know that we were thinking along the same wave-length, I just wanted to ensure that I had something to say that was a little different to the standard 'technology' answer!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

not really an issue as most firms recruit non law grads. It’s just an opportunity to demonstrate commercial law if this is lacking elsewhere in your application.

George Rowe

Star Member
    Nov 15, 2018
    At least you can apply and your application is still reviewed. Previously, many systems would stop you from applying or would get a straight no/no review of application if you had applied.

Yeah I guess so, but I still think they should completely remove the GCSE/A-Levels sections if they truly mean they will not look/assess those grades.

Sam55

Esteemed Member
    Jan 28, 2020
    Yeah I guess so, but I still think they should completely remove the GCSE/A-Levels sections if they truly mean they will not look/assess those grades.
    I assume they do assess these but they are just taking a more holistic/contextual approach to applications with weaker grades rather than outright rejecting them- I thought some firms just said they are removing minimum a level grades, not not considering A levels at all. Did some firms say they are no longer assessing GCSEs and A levels?

Reactions: Flk10

LegalNim

Legendary Member
    Nov 14, 2019
    I'm not sure if firms have said they won't assess on those grades - just that they don't have a minimum requirement. Meaning that they still consider them but they won't exclude a candidate who has a first class degree and wealth of work experience, clear motivation and desire and everything else just because they got BBB at A Level.

Reactions: Flk10

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

They haven’t said they are not assessing grades, they have just said they are not applying a minimum criteria that stops many 10,000s of students being ineligible to apply.

Reality is though they will put very little weighting on the A-levels. But seeing them also allows to see how people have progressed in the last 3 years - seeing someone go from B/C/D grades to a first at uni will be impressive, and potentially more so than someone who has always academically excelled. Grades are also needed for any contextualised recruitment process too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.