Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Having a pretty bad day haha.. just got told by a firm I did a virtual vac scheme with that they’re cancelling trainee recruitment entirely for my cohort (2022). They said they cannot consider us for 2023 TCs as it would be unfair to people who are scheduled to complete a vac scheme this year. Feel absolutely demoralised but hey that’s life. Gotta hope tomorrow will be better.

Wow, I'm gutted to hear this. I'm not surprised you feel demoralised.

I hope that you keep on going and that you leverage this vacation scheme to secure the training contract you want. In the future, you might look back on today and be proud of how you managed to keep on going, despite the huge obstacles you faced.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Does anyone have any info on how Taylor Wessing uses the game based assessment in assessing whether to invite you to interview? Do they only give the invites to the ones they like and then they use it as a filter out, or is it contextual? I’m a bit confused how you can ‘fail’ it?

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    Does anyone have any info on how Taylor Wessing uses the game based assessment in assessing whether to invite you to interview? Do they only give the invites to the ones they like and then they use it as a filter out, or is it contextual? I’m a bit confused how you can ‘fail’ it?
    At the open day, they mentioned that its used to determine your personality. For example, they said one of the games tested how individuals react to risk. They look for a combination of risk-takers and risk averse individuals so its best to not think about it and just react naturally.

Not sure if this helps (certainly doesn't quell my worries hahahah) :)

Reactions: cmaj and M1999

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    At the open day, they mentioned that its used to determine your personality. For example, they said one of the games tested how individuals react to risk. They look for a combination of risk-takers and risk averse individuals so its best to not think about it and just react naturally.

That’s helpful thankyou! I am interested to see if they look for both, how would they determine who gets through to the AC? Maybe they just compare it with your app... oh god knows

MZ

Esteemed Member
    Forum Winner
    Oct 7, 2020

I have a question related to this - I was sent an invitation to do the games-based assessment at TW but when I explained to them some of the symptoms of my disability, they said it would put me at an unfair advantage to do the assessment and that I no longer have to do it. They said the next stage is an AC and they'd let me know whether I got through to that stage by the end of January/early February, but my question is how will they weigh up my application in comparison to other applications without having the same data from the game results about the personality traits they're looking for?

I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and may know how the applications are considered without test results (or if @Jessica Booker has any insight into the process), that would be super helpful!

rebeccawkelly

Jan 4, 2021
    Question about Linklaters Summer VS - I just logged into the portal and it says the candidate review is complete (big tick beside it) and the status is "on hold". Does anyone know what this means??? I'm so anxious because most of my friends have gotten AC invites or rejections from them already

Last edited:

FC

Star Member
  • Jan 27, 2020
    Hi guys,

Hope you're all surviving - we can do this!

I'm completing an application form and a bit stuck on one question I've never had before - which reads:

"If you were given the opportunity to change one thing at the firm (Charles Russell Speechlys) what would you change and why? 250 words"

Now, I think there's an argument for two approaches to this question: 1) comment on something already in existence/operation at the firm and suggest amendment/improvement/expansion, or, 2) Mention how the firm should consider something new i.e- offering a skills academy like MdR Academy for employees or something of the like (my idea being with the 2nd approach you are not directly criticising the firm and getting yourself stuck in murky waters - but then I worry about not answering the question directly enough) Ah!

Sorry if this sounds silly but I hope someone else has had this dilemma with this question before and I'm not alone! @Jessica Booker maybe you have some advice?

Thank you thank thank you anyone!! <3

I had the same predicament as you regarding not answering the question directly enough using approach two, but I went for it anyway! I personally think both approaches can work.

Reactions: chromaticaqueen

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    Question about Linklaters Summer VS - I just logged into the portal and it says the candidate review is complete (big green tick beside it) and the status is "on hold". Does anyone know what this means??? I'm so anxious because most of my friends have gotten CA invites or rejections from them already
    I have been 'on hold' since I completed the tests, think it just means that the app is under review. However, my tick is white, not green, so I am not sure what it means. Good luck! I hope we hear back soon

Reactions: TiredPG, kls and Rob93

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    I have a question related to this - I was sent an invitation to do the games-based assessment at TW but when I explained to them some of the symptoms of my disability, they said it would put me at an unfair advantage to do the assessment and that I no longer have to do it. They said the next stage is an AC and they'd let me know whether I got through to that stage by the end of January/early February, but my question is how will they weigh up my application in comparison to other applications without having the same data from the game results about the personality traits they're looking for?

I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and may know how the applications are considered without test results (or if @Jessica Booker has any insight into the process), that would be super helpful!
    Unfortunately grad rec didn't mention anything about that! Maybe they can make some inferences from your app?

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    Question about Linklaters Summer VS - I just logged into the portal and it says the candidate review is complete (big green tick beside it) and the status is "on hold". Does anyone know what this means??? I'm so anxious because most of my friends have gotten AC invites or rejections from them already

Lots of people still at that stage, myself included. It doesn't seem to really mean anything except that they haven't made a decision on the application yet. Worth checking the dedicated thread (below) to get a sense of things.

https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/linklaters-2019-20-application.1653/page-52

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020

Same boat and very confused. To me, it would seem unfair / unlikely that we would not be invited to AC if we met minimum requirements. But I have no real info.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Same boat and very confused. To me, it would seem unfair / unlikely that we would not be invited to AC if we met minimum requirements. But I have no real info.
    I think they just use the test as a supplement then, I’m sure if they think your app is strong and you’re suited to the firm without taking the tests they’ll put you forward :)

Reactions: Veep9
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.