Firms that don't recruit mainly from vac schemes/applying directly to TC

v123

Valued Member
Jan 16, 2019
Hey guys!!

I'm feeling a bit discouraged as I've missed a lot of deadlines for vacation schemes or been rejected from ones I have applied to.

I'm hoping to apply straight to training contracts and I'm wondering if anyone knows of firms that don't heavily select or favour vac scheme participants in the recruitment process.

Thanks in advance!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
This is a great thread idea :) Slaughter and May recruit through direct TCs because they have a slightly tighter criteria for who can apply to their vacation schemes much like Clifford Chance do but unfortunately their deadline was mid-December.

Reactions: Helena and v123

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Eversheds and Shoosmiths recruit around half of their places from direct TCs. Stephenson Harwood has also said they don't have a preference on which route applicants take.

Reactions: Eva and Helena

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I think HL is predominantly VS but I think if you have a strong TC app it is definitely worth still applying!! As for Freshfields, I am pretty sure their direct TC is only open for certain candidates now. I am a non-law graduate and don't think i am eligible anymore so maybe worth checking this out before making an app :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: v123 and aditik

Maccie

Future Trainee
    Sep 22, 2018
    Hey guys, does anyone know of Hogan Lovells' stance on this? Do they primarily recruit from vac scheme or are they open to recruiting equally from both routes?

It is pretty much half and half for Hogan Lovells (source: their website). I’d definitely recommend giving it a try, you won’t be at a disadvantage if you do not do the vacation scheme there

Reactions: v123

PMF_II

Star Member
    Mar 1, 2018
    Sorry, that was quite unclear on my part perhaps. I meant CC’s TC deadline has passed not Slaughter and May’s :)

Even though the deadline is in July, I still recommend applying as early as possible. In the past, Slaughter and May invited me to a TC interview in March. About a week before the interview, they contacted me to say they have filled places for non-law and asked if I would be willing to interview for next year’s intake instead. I would say apply now if you’re non-law!

Reactions: v123

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Even though the deadline is in July, I still recommend applying as early as possible. In the past, Slaughter and May invited me to a TC interview in March. About a week before the interview, they contacted me to say they have filled places for non-law and asked if I would be willing to interview for next year’s intake instead. I would say apply now if you’re non-law![/QUOTE

Thank you, I have an interview in March already. I applied in very late December following the Winter Workshop but this is good advice for anyone still considering an app :)

v123

Valued Member
    Jan 16, 2019
    Even though the deadline is in July, I still recommend applying as early as possible. In the past, Slaughter and May invited me to a TC interview in March. About a week before the interview, they contacted me to say they have filled places for non-law and asked if I would be willing to interview for next year’s intake instead. I would say apply now if you’re non-law!
    Do they usually fill non-law spots first?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.