2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

A M

Distinguished Member
Dec 28, 2020
Hi, I just received an email confirming they have received my application, I last updated it on 19.05.2021.
When did you submit your application?
I submitted mine 30 mins before the deadline.
My application says updated on 24 May 2021.
Feels like I will get the confirmation today.

glaw23

Distinguished Member
  • May 20, 2021
    Has anyone heard from Shoosmiths about direct TC yet? I don't know if they're rolling.
    They are rolling :) I have seen someone on TSR ask for VI tips for Shoosmiths so I am guessing they have heard back already. I imagine they're getting quite a few applications in this last week (I'm currently doing the application too), so it might take until after the deadline to hear back. I've heard they are pretty efficient in getting responses out.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Fieldfisher's app asks the following question: "From your research, what have you learned about Fieldfisher and why do you want to train as a solicitor with the Firm?" (500 words)

Is this question asking "Why Fieldfisher" or "Why Fieldfisher and why solicitor"

@Jessica Booker @Jacob Miller
    To me this is slightly more why the firm than why a solicitor, but I think it is important to cover both. The key for me here is why you want to “train” with the firm. So there is something very specific about them wanting to talk about the opportunity as a trainee with them, not just why you want to work for them more generally, or why you want to be a solicitor more generally.

glaw23

Distinguished Member
  • May 20, 2021
    For Shoosmith's mitigating circumstances, it notes that if you have them then you need to send further details at an email address before the deadline. Does this mean I need to try and dig up doctor's evidence from years ago? :/

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Yes! I am very confused. It’s seems an exceptional long time to have heard absolutely nothing when the application window for the special March 2023 recruit drive and to complete the tests were very narrow.
    I agree with you and they said on 26th April they will be hearing interviews and the second round of interviews in mid-May it is weird to see no one hear anything from them yet. By the way, good luck to you and hope you get good news from Ashurst.

kitty_kat

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 10, 2020
    Hi everyone,
    Hope you all are doing well :)
    Please may I know when do applications usually open for direct training contract (start year 2024) for law students, particularly for MC and silver circle firms?
    Thank you!

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hi everyone,
    Please may I know when do applications usually open for direct training contract (start year 2024) for law students, particularly for MC and silver circle firms?
    Thank you!
    Just watched Vantage's live stream with a member from the Linklaters' grad rec team, she said that the firm will open apps for direct TCs after Sept this year.

Reactions: N.9 and kitty_kat

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi everyone,
    Thank you!
    2024 will be next cycle I think - firms generally recruit 2 years in advance. @Jessica Booker will advise if I've got my numbers mixed up, though - I can barely count to ten so it's a distinct possibility :)

Reactions: kitty_kat

kitty_kat

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 10, 2020
    2024 will be next cycle I think - firms generally recruit 2 years in advance. @Jessica Booker will advise if I've got my numbers mixed up, though - I can barely count to ten so it's a distinct possibility :)
    Thanks so much! @Jessica Booker would the 2024 TC intake applications usually open this year (Sept-Dec 2021) for law students or only in May/June 2022 after the summer VSs are over?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I would expect this to be anytime for August to October this year for most firms.

Tushar

Distinguished Member
    Mar 18, 2020
    @Jessica Hello! Hope you are doing fine.
    I need some help regarding this Dentons application form question- "Tell us about a challenge you have overcome that showcases your ambition and drive"
    Does the answer need to be about something personal that I have overcome or can it be about a challenge I faced and then I overcame it? For instance, I started an initiative to help more than 5000 underprivileged workers as part of the legal aid society of my law school, especially when it was difficult to do so during the lockdown as there were restrictions on movements and everything. Would this be fine?

Thank you for your time!

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    @Jessica Hello! Hope you are doing fine.
    I need some help regarding this Dentons application form question- "Tell us about a challenge you have overcome that showcases your ambition and drive"
    Does the answer need to be about something personal that I have overcome or can it be about a challenge I faced and then I overcame it? For instance, I started an initiative to help more than 5000 underprivileged workers as part of the legal aid society of my law school, especially when it was difficult to do so during the lockdown as there were restrictions on movements and everything. Would this be fine?

Thank you for your time!
    Obligatory not Jessica but what they're looking for is resilience and other skills they prioritise (snoop around online, theyve talked on websites like LegalCheek about their key competencies e.g. organisational skills) so it's fine as long as you show that, doesn't need to be personal

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.