2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Remember that no news is good news folks! I've often been in this position, I rationalised this as a lot of firms will have almost 3 groups of candidates - 'definite yes', 'definite no', and 'borderline', and that it's usually those borderline candidates who might wait the longest as GR need to assess their applications more closely and more or less pit them against each other.

I could be way, way wrong though... @Jessica Booker are you able to clarify?

Reactions: Alice G and bibss

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Remember that no news is good news folks! I've often been in this position, I rationalised this as a lot of firms will have almost 3 groups of candidates - 'definite yes', 'definite no', and 'borderline', and that it's usually those borderline candidates who might wait the longest as GR need to assess their applications more closely and more or less pit them against each other.

I could be way, way wrong though... @Jessica Booker are you able to clarify?
    There are lots of reasons why people may not have heard back. Particularly at the moment, firms might be trying to work out how many candidates they could take on (could fluctuate a lot for a while loads of reasons in itself). That then impacts how many people they bring through to the next stage.

Also a lot of graduate recruitment people are probably also home schooling. Means that capacity to do things like screen applications are hit hard. This could be delaying recruitment processes. Just silly things like trying to print off applications at home won’t be as straight forward as in the office, and so actually screening could be slower too.

The “hold” theory is possible too of course, but there’s literally 101 reasons why someone may have not heard back while others have. I wouldn’t try to work out why (unless you want to have a conversation with the grad Rec team about it).

LeilaScott

Valued Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    I had a TC interview with Ashurst , and still havent heard? Most of my vac scheme seems to have been given their rejections or offers so I am wondering whether I should be worried? Apparently a few others havent heard back but it has been over 2 weeks - have sent an email to grad rec but also not received a reply so not sure how I should gauge it all I would be so grateful if anyone had any insight! @Jessica Booker i think maybe you would be best positioned to answer? Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I had a TC interview with Ashurst , and still havent heard? Most of my vac scheme seems to have been given their rejections or offers so I am wondering whether I should be worried? Apparently a few others havent heard back but it has been over 2 weeks - have sent an email to grad rec but also not received a reply so not sure how I should gauge it all I would be so grateful if anyone had any insight! @Jessica Booker i think maybe you would be best positioned to answer? Thanks!
    Just try to be patient for another week or two. I am sure they will come back to you in due course.

Reactions: LeilaScott

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Hi guys,

so I am wondering about the whole TC application process. Is it generally harder than if you were applying for a vacation scheme? So for example, at an interview, would there be higher expectations or need to score higher? I am just trying to understand if there are any differences in the recruitment process between a vac scheme and a TC.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi guys,

so I am wondering about the whole TC application process. Is it generally harder than if you were applying for a vacation scheme? So for example, at an interview, would there be higher expectations or need to score higher? I am just trying to understand if there are any differences in the recruitment process between a vac scheme and a TC.
    I discuss this issue in part of one of my article series, which may help you understand the advantages/ disadvantages to TC vs VS apps:

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Well to make everything so much more nerve wracking (have yet to hear anything from FF!) I've just gone into my portal and found that my application was "updated" on Friday! But nothing in my email.

Does anybody know if it's possible to see their emails to you anywhere on the portal? Or perhaps this will mean I'll get an email from them on Monday...

Reactions: Celestie

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    Well to make everything so much more nerve wracking (have yet to hear anything from FF!) I've just gone into my portal and found that my application was "updated" on Friday! But nothing in my email.

Does anybody know if it's possible to see their emails to you anywhere on the portal? Or perhaps this will mean I'll get an email from them on Monday...
    TC Interviews are being held between March-August - I applied for the TC in October and yet to hear anything but to be honest I wasn't expecting to hear anything until mid-Feb! Still loads of time to hear

• ℹ️
    Reactions: AH97 and bibss

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020

May I ask when you applied? Trying to figure out if they follow some order in reviewing applications or if it is just random. Best of luck with your outcome!!! 🍀🍀

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018

Hey - my portal said updated on the 18th Jan and then I was sent WG invite on 21st, so they didn’t send it automatically after first viewing my app :)

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    I discuss this issue in part of one of my article series, which may help you understand the advantages/ disadvantages to TC vs VS apps:
    Thank you! I have read it before and found it very useful.

But I was wondering more about the difference in difficulty of the recruitment process between a vac scheme and a direct TC. Logically, I think that the process of applying for a direct TC would be more demanding and challenging, with higher expectations of candidates. @Jessica Booker do you have any thoughts?

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

But I was wondering more about the difference in difficulty of the recruitment process between a vac scheme and a direct TC. Logically, I think that the process of applying for a direct TC would be more demanding and challenging, with higher expectations of candidates. @Jessica Booker do you have any thoughts?
    My understanding, from the (albeit limited) conversations I've had on the matter with recruiters that I know personally, is that one is not necessarily easier or harder than the other - that they're looking for broadly the same ability level etc irrespective. I know that some firms have an extra couple of components to the assessment process for direct TC apps though as they don't obviously get the same amount of contact time with the candidate, so that could perhaps be considered 'harder'... but, then again, the constant assessment and v tiring nature of vacation schemes themselves aren't easy, so I think it's a swings and roundabouts kinda thing to be honest :)

Reactions: SN27

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

The only difference is you can take a bit of a gamble on a candidate for a vacation scheme, as the risk is relatively low. But then that person has to perform on the vac scheme itself to then get a TC offer.

So a Direct TC process might be more stringent but a vac scheme to TC process is much more considered, with some initial processes being less stringent but the end processes being much more thorough.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.