2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    How much work experience do you think is needed for direct TC apps?
    I agree with what Naomi has said above. There's no 'magic number' so to speak, above which you're made an offer and below which you aren't considered. Different work experiences also add different value: for example, you could've been an intern in a commercial firm for a month but if you were basically making the teas then you didn't learn anything. Similarly, you could've worked in a supermarket/ Maccies/ somewhere irrelevant to commercial law and have learned orders of magnitude more in terms of transferrable skills etc than you ever would have making people's drinks. It's about leveraging skills and experiences more so than the number of them you've had.

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    Hiya,

I don't think there is a perfect figure. I think the more important thing here is your demonstration of transferable skills and evidence of your motivations and interests.

Hope this helps! ☺️

I agree with what Naomi has said above. There's no 'magic number' so to speak, above which you're made an offer and below which you aren't considered. Different work experiences also add different value: for example, you could've been an intern in a commercial firm for a month but if you were basically making the teas then you didn't learn anything. Similarly, you could've worked in a supermarket/ Maccies/ somewhere irrelevant to commercial law and have learned orders of magnitude more in terms of transferrable skills etc than you ever would have making people's drinks. It's about leveraging skills and experiences more so than the number of them you've had.
    Thank you, both! That's quite a bit more comforting - I think I'll apply to a couple then! :)

Reactions: Naomi U

DMMW

Standard Member
    Dec 14, 2020
    @Jessica Booker on an application, when they ask whether I have a "personal contact at the firm", what does this mean and who constitutes a personal contact? What is the essence of this question in the recruitment process?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker on an application, when they ask whether I have a "personal contact at the firm", what does this mean and who constitutes a personal contact? What is the essence of this question in the recruitment process?

It is to check whether you know anyone at the firm and to check the relationship to that individual. They often have to ensure there is no conflict of interest through the recruitment process and also in some cases their internal policies may stop you from being employed (for instance if you are a relative of a partner). It is a way for firms to identify these risks early in the recruitment process.

Reactions: DMMW

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Has anyone heard back from NRF yet? I received the message on 12 Jan stating they would review apps in the next 2 weeks and let people know if they were successful at this stage to invite them to WG and nothing since.

If this is for a direct TC app, could be a little while before you hear. A couple of friends of mine are doing ACs for their spring VS this week so GR are probably busy with that

Reactions: John Travoni

tractor12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 6, 2019
    It is to check whether you know anyone at the firm and to check the relationship to that individual. They often have to ensure there is no conflict of interest through the recruitment process and also in some cases their internal policies may stop you from being employed (for instance if you are a relative of a partner). It is a way for firms to identify these risks early in the recruitment process.
    Does it ever help your case if you have a personal contact at the firm?

DMMW

Standard Member
    Dec 14, 2020
    Thanks!

Barnsworth

Star Member
  • Feb 1, 2021
    No news is good news. NRF rejected me 8hrs after i submitted my TC app - even though i got to their assessment centre last year. Slaughters rejected me within 2 weeks (i submitted about 6 weeks ago), and Mayer Brown rejected me after the tests about a week or so ago. So no news is good news!
    Hey if you don't mind me asking, what were your strengths on the feedback of the test and how did you fair in the tests, above average, average etc?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.