2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJCH

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
Nov 2, 2020
Does anyone know the % of trainees being hired via direct TC apps at RPC London office? Just thinking that they don't have a particular large intake and not sure if it's worth trying...

AlRJ

Esteemed Member
Jun 23, 2019
I applied on 30 Jan, completed the WG on 6 Feb and received confirmation that I had passed and that my application was being reviewed on 8 Feb (I emailed Grad Rec for my WG score).
If you don't mind clarifying, did you automatically receive confirmation that you passed the WG and your app was being reviewed or did you email the firm? Thanks!

Reactions: FlapJack3000

LeilaScott

Valued Member
Nov 19, 2020
I really don’t get why firms ask you to write a long cover letter and then ask to write answers to an additional 3/4 250-300 word questions. It takes forever and you just end up repeating yourself!!
Yeah surely just makes grad recs job harder as well? Had a similar thing w Irwin Mitchell last year, clicked next and got a whole load of other questions so I just gave up lmfao cba

Reactions: Abbie4329
A

Anon08

Yeah surely just makes grad recs job harder as well? Had a similar thing w Irwin Mitchell last year, clicked next and got a whole load of other questions so I just gave up lmfao cba
Having completed applications like this, I know how brutal and unfair it can seem.

At the risk of sounding antiquated, back in 2014, I spoke to a QC at an SC firm who explained that the application process can be really lengthy or convoluted in order to put individuals off applying. Whilst this seems counter-intuitive, he explained that their firm receives thousands of applications, and so they need to use the entire recruitment process to streamline the candidates they take for final interview/training.

The sheer volume of questions/steps you have to go through is intentionally off-putting in order to dissuade candidates who 'kind of' care about the firm from applying. It is true that this might dissuade the best candidates from applying, but they do not just want the best candidates, but those who are really passionate about the firm in question. Hence, the candidates who are willing to tough out such an onerous application process are the ones who (supposedly) really care about the firm, and the firm would like to hire.

I know that this can be really painful when you are a candidate (the number of cover letters I have drafted that are now in my recycling bin is rather distressing!), but I hope that explains why they might do it (on top of GR getting lots of important information about you/your ability/your motivations!).

LeilaScott

Valued Member
Nov 19, 2020
Having completed applications like this, I know how brutal and unfair it can seem.

At the risk of sounding antiquated, back in 2014, I spoke to a QC at an SC firm who explained that the application process can be really lengthy or convoluted in order to put individuals off applying. Whilst this seems counter-intuitive, he explained that their firm receives thousands of applications, and so they need to use the entire recruitment process to streamline the candidates they take for final interview/training.

The sheer volume of questions/steps you have to go through is intentionally off-putting in order to dissuade candidates who 'kind of' care about the firm from applying. It is true that this might dissuade the best candidates from applying, but they do not just want the best candidates, but those who are really passionate about the firm in question. Hence, the candidates who are willing to tough out such an onerous application process are the ones who (supposedly) really care about the firm, and the firm would like to hire.

I know that this can be really painful when you are a candidate (the number of cover letters I have drafted that are now in my recycling bin is rather distressing!), but I hope that explains why they might do it (on top of GR getting lots of important information about you/your ability/your motivations!).
Yeah very true! Clearly worked as well haha, didn't end up applying in the end :)

Reactions: AspiringSol

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I really don’t get why firms ask you to write a long cover letter and then ask to write answers to an additional 3/4 250-300 word questions. It takes forever and you just end up repeating yourself!!
To make sure only the truly motivated apply usually.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I had actually wondered before—is there a massive difference in numbers applying for the firms that have really long applications? In my case I didn’t complete the Irwin Mitchell one because of that...
It can make a significant difference not just in application numbers, but quality too.

Can have some awful side effects though, like diversity of applicant.

You have to be confident that application length, types of questions asked and your full recruitment process has a balance of what will help you fulfill your recruitment objectives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.