2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

N.9

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    Hi there, new to TCLA and also going mad waiting for FF... Haven't been sent a WG despite receiving one almost immediately last cycle. I'm a post-grad so nothing's changed bar my work experience sections. Any idea as to why I haven't received a WG yet? Is it likely due to increased competition this year or something else?

castrooo

Legendary Member
    Sep 17, 2020
    Hi there, new to TCLA and also going mad waiting for FF... Haven't been sent a WG despite receiving one almost immediately last cycle. I'm a post-grad so nothing's changed bar my work experience sections. Any idea as to why I haven't received a WG yet? Is it likely due to increased competition this year or something else?
    My theory is that they are still working through the vac scheme apps and will get back to all TC applicants shortly. :)

FlapJack3000

Dec 3, 2020
    Thanks, I hope so, but I'm not feeling so positive! When did you apply?
    I am in the exact same position (plus I have additional work experience since last year, so I found it odd that I still haven't received a WG this year). I applied for direct TC on 12/12/2020 and it was last updated 15/12/2020. I worried that they just forgot about my application :(

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hey all, I am applying for the Baker McKenzie direct TC and just wanted to get an idea of how people are structuring responses to the 'Tell us about something - anything - that excites and inspires you.' question or how you think it should be structured? It's 300 words so I was thinking of starting with a brief introduction of my chosen topic, 3 key points about why it inspires/ excites me, and then following it with a link back to the firm and discussion of the transferrable skills? However, I wondered if there is any need at all to link it back to the firm?

I got to the AC last year so really want to put myself in good stead to get there again! Thanks in advance for your help :)
    As mentioned, there's no need to really link this to the firm etc. I've answered this question and similar questions ("Introduce us to something you're passionate about" etc) before and I've always just approached them with honesty and transparency. I tend to pick fairly left-field examples, too - I tend to find that these are more authentic than particularly mainstream/ cliche examples when you're answering them but honestly just choose something that genuinely excites/ inspires you and you should have no difficulty communicating this. In terms of number of points you raise as to why, I would tend to explore two in depth rather than 3 briefly but this is a matter of preference :)

N.9

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    I am in the exact same position (plus I have additional work experience since last year, so I found it odd that I still haven't received a WG this year). I applied for direct TC on 12/12/2020 and it was last updated 15/12/2020. I worried that they just forgot about my application :(
    Yes, that's also my fear!

N.9

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    I applied a day before the deadline and completed the WG test (scored in the 93rd percentile) on the 7th of Feb, so almost a month ago.
    Ah, okay, because I applied on the deadline I thought the delay in sending the WG might just be because of that, but you applied around the same time and received the WG... So not feeling grrrreatttt... :(

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.