2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

m.aspiring.lawyer

Star Member
Feb 24, 2021
Hey all, I am applying for the Baker McKenzie direct TC and just wanted to get an idea of how people are structuring responses to the 'Tell us about something - anything - that excites and inspires you.' question or how you think it should be structured? It's 300 words so I was thinking of starting with a brief introduction of my chosen topic, 3 key points about why it inspires/ excites me, and then following it with a link back to the firm and discussion of the transferrable skills? However, I wondered if there is any need at all to link it back to the firm?

I got to the AC last year so really want to put myself in good stead to get there again! Thanks in advance for your help :)

zigzag84

Star Member
Feb 4, 2021
Hey all, I am applying for the Baker McKenzie direct TC and just wanted to get an idea of how people are structuring responses to the 'Tell us about something - anything - that excites and inspires you.' question or how you think it should be structured? It's 300 words so I was thinking of starting with a brief introduction of my chosen topic, 3 key points about why it inspires/ excites me, and then following it with a link back to the firm and discussion of the transferrable skills? However, I wondered if there is any need at all to link it back to the firm?

I got to the AC last year so really want to put myself in good stead to get there again! Thanks in advance for your help :)
I think it’s up to you but I took the question as them trying to find out more about you and your passions and interests. I don’t think there is any need to link it back to the firm unless it naturally does anyway. (This is just my personal advice btw I’m no expert)

m.aspiring.lawyer

Star Member
Feb 24, 2021
I think it’s up to you but I took the question as them trying to find out more about you and your passions and interests. I don’t think there is any need to link it back to the firm unless it naturally does anyway. (This is just my personal advice btw I’m no expert)
Thank you, yeah I am struggling a bit to fill the 300 words so I thought that maybe tying in BM could be a good way of using the words as it's such a broad question!! What did you write about if you don't mind me asking?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

No need to link it back to the firm or transferable skills.

Reactions: m.aspiring.lawyer

zigzag84

Star Member
Feb 4, 2021
Thank you, yeah I am struggling a bit to fill the 300 words so I thought that maybe tying in BM could be a good way of using the words as it's such a broad question!! What did you write about if you don't mind me asking?
I have an interest in fashion and clothing so I spoke all about that. Do not worry about the word count. I used about 250 words and left it as that because anything else I added wouldn’t have been of value.

Reactions: m.aspiring.lawyer

Grean99

Feb 24, 2021
Hi all, I don't know how to tackle this question on applications: "Please set out any additional information which you feel is relevant to your application."

I'm not sure if this question is a final sales pitch opportunity or only to be completed if necessary. Does anyone have advice on how they approach this question?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all, I don't know how to tackle this question on applications: "Please set out any additional information which you feel is relevant to your application."

I'm not sure if this question is a final sales pitch opportunity or only to be completed if necessary. Does anyone have advice on how they approach this question?
Only to be completed if there is something important that naturally hasn’t fitted into other sections/questions asked.

Reactions: Grean99

BiancaR

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 12
  • Jun 8, 2020
    I'm so sorry if this is a bit of a ignorant question, but do direct TC applications differ significantly from VS applications? Does anyone know if they generally more/less competitive (I've heard both) I have a bit of legal experience (mostly volunteering in courts, some work-shadowing at an international firm) but am not sure if this will be enough for a TC application?

Abbie4329

Distinguished Member
    Jul 21, 2020
    I'm so sorry if this is a bit of a ignorant question, but do direct TC applications differ significantly from VS applications? Does anyone know if they generally more/less competitive (I've heard both) I have a bit of legal experience (mostly volunteering in courts, some work-shadowing at an international firm) but am not sure if this will be enough for a TC application?
    The applications for VS and Direct TC are often the same. I would say with direct TC you need to have more work experience to demonstrate the skills a firm is looking for. Not sure about competitiveness, there’s often less TC spaces but I don’t know how many people apply considering most people seem to want to get on a vac scheme first.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.