2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    Hi all! I’m waiting on Norton/NRF, Slaughters and Mayer Brown, had anyone heard anything from them yet? I’ve done a WG for Mayer Brown but other than that haven’t heard anything. Submitted maybe 2-3 weeks ago.
    I've been invited to a telephone interview with Mayer Brown - so hopefully you should be hearing soon?

• 🏆
    Reactions: nicole88, jan28 and OB

Natalie Black

Distinguished Member
    Aug 13, 2018
    Hi all! I’m waiting on Norton/NRF, Slaughters and Mayer Brown, had anyone heard anything from them yet? I’ve done a WG for Mayer Brown but other than that haven’t heard anything. Submitted maybe 2-3 weeks ago.

No news is good news. NRF rejected me 8hrs after i submitted my TC app - even though i got to their assessment centre last year. Slaughters rejected me within 2 weeks (i submitted about 6 weeks ago), and Mayer Brown rejected me after the tests about a week or so ago. So no news is good news!

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    No news is good news. NRF rejected me 8hrs after i submitted my TC app - even though i got to their assessment centre last year. Slaughters rejected me within 2 weeks (i submitted about 6 weeks ago), and Mayer Brown rejected me after the tests about a week or so ago. So no news is good news!

Awww shoot Ashleigh I’m so sorry! Do you have more in the pipeline?

KB2020

Future Trainee
    Aug 4, 2020
    That’s so weird! My application was in maybe 3 weeks ago, so if I had been planning to hand in now I would have to wait, but because I was early I don’t?

I find it really odd the way some firms chop and change closing dates...
    This is so frustrating. I finished potentially my strongest application yet and was ready to submit on Tuesday only to find that the application portal had closed!! It's unfair for them to change the dates like that with no warning.

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    This is so frustrating. I finished potentially my strongest application yet and was ready to submit on Tuesday only to find that the application portal had closed!! It's unfair for them to change the dates like that with no warning.
    They did send an email to everyone that had already begun the application. I received one last Friday telling me it was closing that night.

KB2020

Future Trainee
    Aug 4, 2020
    They did send an email to everyone that had already begun the application. I received one last Friday telling me it was closing that night.
    Oh right. I guess because I hadn't started one online at that time I didn't get a notification. Really disappointed but will make sure I set a reminder for 1st June. Just hope they haven't filled up by then!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Legal_rawn

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Guys for the Clifford Chance TC, the deadline is 10th December does that mean I have to submit before11:59 on the 9th or I can still submit during the 10th? Sorry if this is a silly question but I’m confused

Up until 11.59 on the 10th - but don’t leave it that late. Try and get your application in before the the end of the working day.

Reactions: Elle

Law2022

Legendary Member
    May 3, 2020
    When it comes to work experience on an application form, what is the best way to link my transferable skills? Am I right in thinking, it’s simply just talking about a skill I posses, and how that will benefit me as a trainee at the firm?

I think I’m overthinking it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    When it comes to work experience on an application form, what is the best way to link my transferable skills? Am I right in thinking, it’s simply just talking about a skill I posses, and how that will benefit me as a trainee at the firm?

I think I’m overthinking it.

It is better to evidence the skill with responsibilities you had. You don’t have to explain how it will benefit you as a trainee.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Law2022

Lauren2001

Star Member
    Dec 11, 2020
    For CC, I am outside the target group - the confirmation email stated that my application will not be reviewed at the moment but if it is considered I will find out after the 14th December, if it is not I will find out no later than the 18th. Do you interpret this to mean if there are enough high quality applicants within the target group they will know by Monday and let us know if we will be considered? Or they will still read those outside the target group and decide whether to make a space? I interviewed last year so I think my chances of a second interview are very slim.

Reactions: dosblancos7

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    For CC, I am outside the target group - the confirmation email stated that my application will not be reviewed at the moment but if it is considered I will find out after the 14th December, if it is not I will find out no later than the 18th. Do you interpret this to mean if there are enough high quality applicants within the target group they will know by Monday and let us know if we will be considered? Or they will still read those outside the target group and decide whether to make a space? I interviewed last year so I think my chances of a second interview are very slim.

Hey!

I'm outside the target group too and I applied. I wasn't able to find what the process would be i.e. will they review priority candidates first and if they're unhappy with the pool they'll review us, etc.

Don't worry about reapplying! CC Grad Rec say that they take each application cycle as a new year so you're not at an advantage or disadvantage compared to everyone else. One of my friends who is a Future Trainee at CC interviewed twice for CC (he got it the second interview) so don't worry about that. I also interviewed last year at CC and Grad Rec reaffirmed that they don't consider past performance.

Good luck!

Lauren2001

Star Member
    Dec 11, 2020
    Hey!

I'm outside the target group too and I applied. I wasn't able to find what the process would be i.e. will they review priority candidates first and if they're unhappy with the pool they'll review us, etc.

Don't worry about reapplying! CC Grad Rec say that they take each application cycle as a new year so you're not at an advantage or disadvantage compared to everyone else. One of my friends who is a Future Trainee at CC interviewed twice for CC (he got it the second interview) so don't worry about that. I also interviewed last year at CC and Grad Rec reaffirmed that they don't consider past performance.

Good luck!
    This is very reassuring regarding second interview - thank you for letting me know! Great news that your friend got it second time around, sometimes the first time it is just a silly mistake stopping the offer!

Yes I am not 100% sure what the process is...I imagine they will only look at those outside the target if the target group does not fulfil their requirements, but it would be great if they do still read them...

We can keep each other updated! At least it is a very short wait to hear back judging by their timescales.

Good luck to you too!

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    Hey!

Good luck!
    This is really reassuring! Sent a quick fire App on the 7th, without knowing this, but I defo improved since last year(got a vac scheme and 2 ad hoc legal work exp!), so hopefully we both get AC's again :D

Nadima

Dec 12, 2020
    I have a question regarding an application question. One of my training contract applications ask if you were given the opportunity to change one thing at the firm what would that be and why? I am really confused about this and have no idea how to approach it. I've never come across such a question before. Could someone please explain if they have any idea, as to how I should go about it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have a question regarding an application question. One of my training contract applications ask if you were given the opportunity to change one thing at the firm what would that be and why? I am really confused about this and have no idea how to approach it. I've never come across such a question before. Could someone please explain if they have any idea, as to how I should go about it.

is there anything that you think the firm could do better or add to their business? Undoubtedly there will be lots of things you could talk about but it’s just a case of showing a combination of your knowledge of the firm, your analytical skills and creativity to suggest how they could improve as an organisation.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.