2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
Hi all! I’m waiting on Norton/NRF, Slaughters and Mayer Brown, had anyone heard anything from them yet? I’ve done a WG for Mayer Brown but other than that haven’t heard anything. Submitted maybe 2-3 weeks ago.

Waiting on Slaughters too. I think it's been a few weeks. I read in the Forums that some people who applied when apps opened heard back from Slaughters mid-October.

NRF deadline for TC this week. I know that WVS has all been wrapped up. They mentioned in their webinars that you may get an invite to the telephone interview during this period, but they don't invite people to AC until all the telephone interviews are over. I suspect that'll be another week or so given that some people may apply on deadline day.

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Premium Member
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 1, 2020
Does anyone know how Clifford Chance decide who to consider outside of their target group?

I have the same Q! I’ve applied to CC although I’m not in the target groups (would be my dream otherwise...). I think they’ve said they will contact anyone they do want to hear more from by the 14th Dec, and reject others by 18th. But until then I guess they’ll have to go off just grades and personal statement?

Reactions: OB

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
I have 4 open days, 1 insight scheme at a silver circle firm and 1 vac scheme at an MC firm under my belt - should I apply for a direct TC to Linklaters, or do they mostly recruit from vacs?

Huge congratulations! Smashed it!!

Linklaters don't have a preference so if you want to apply for a direct TC, you should. In the past, their trainee intake could be 60 VS and 40 TC but that's not because of a quota but how the recruitment process panned out.

In short, if you're interested, I'd apply. All the MC firms are like this (in that they have no preference on whether trainees come from the VS or TC).

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    Waiting on Slaughters too. I think it's been a few weeks. I read in the Forums that some people who applied when apps opened heard back from Slaughters mid-October.

NRF deadline for TC this week. I know that WVS has all been wrapped up. They mentioned in their webinars that you may get an invite to the telephone interview during this period, but they don't invite people to AC until all the telephone interviews are over. I suspect that'll be another week or so given that some people may apply on deadline day.
    Do NRF have a WG still? Applied mid-November but haven't heard a peep from them

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020
    Do NRF have a WG still? Applied mid-November but haven't heard a peep from them

Yep they do, actually totally forgot about that. Given this, I think it'll be another week or so.

Their process this cycle is:

1. Grad Rec will review applications and then send a WG test to those they're interested in interviewing.
    2. Grad Rec will then review the WG test results and invite those who have passed/met their benchmark/got a high score to telephone interview.
    3. Grad Rec will then invite those who perform well in the telephone interview to the AC.

Helpme12345

Valued Member
    Nov 19, 2020

I read somewhere on here that Slaughters are taking a break from interviewing for TCs and will start again in mid-Feb.

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    That’s so weird! My application was in maybe 3 weeks ago, so if I had been planning to hand in now I would have to wait, but because I was early I don’t?

I find it really odd the way some firms chop and change closing dates...

Elle

Nov 12, 2020
    Guys for the Clifford Chance TC, the deadline is 10th December does that mean I have to submit before11:59 on the 9th or I can still submit during the 10th? Sorry if this is a silly question but I’m confused

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Reactions: Elle
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.