2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abbie4329

Distinguished Member
Jul 21, 2020
For CC, I am outside the target group - the confirmation email stated that my application will not be reviewed at the moment but if it is considered I will find out after the 14th December, if it is not I will find out no later than the 18th. Do you interpret this to mean if there are enough high quality applicants within the target group they will know by Monday and let us know if we will be considered? Or they will still read those outside the target group and decide whether to make a space? I interviewed last year so I think my chances of a second interview are very slim.
Hi, I emailed CC in August when applications opened this year about the target group as I’m outside the target group and wanted to understand what my chances were in getting a TC with them. Grad Rec responded saying they’ve already filled a significant number of 2023 TCs from their SPARK programme. It’s seem they’re actually targeting first year students.

NK

Distinguished Member
Jul 28, 2020
Are there any people applying for a TC at Freshfields? I’m currently finishing off my personal statement but would really appreciate a second opinion / advice on how I could improve! I’d be more than happy to review someone else’s personal statement as well :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I'm not sure how to approach VI question: ''How do you react to new information?'' ''How do you persuade someone?''
any tips would be appreciated. thank you

it’s one of those questions that need to be tailored to you. Think about situations where you have done those processes in the past and critically analyse how you were successful or how you felt during the process and then just explain that.

RB

Star Member
Jun 7, 2020
I am in the middle of my TC application for Freshfields and I saw that the top of the personal statement template provided, it states that we need to briefly explain why we are making an application. I was wondering if we would need to explicitly mention why we are applying for the TC or it would be already evident in answering why Freshfields...

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am in the middle of my TC application for Freshfields and I saw that the top of the personal statement template provided, it states that we need to briefly explain why we are making an application. I was wondering if we would need to explicitly mention why we are applying for the TC or it would be already evident in answering why Freshfields...

why the firm and why the opportunity are always slightly different things, that may cross over (but not always). It really depends on your statement though and the content you have to demonstrate - there isn’t really a one approach to a FBD statement

Reactions: OB and RB

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
Does anyone know when Macfarlanes looks at TC apps? I did an interview for a summer vacation scheme in 2018 and now I am only eligible for a TC.

I think last round they did did ACs at the start of the year in Jan/early Feb and then after the vac scheme interviews as before I started my scheme they'd already given a few TCs to direct apps and then again after the vac schemes. This is only a rough timeline from my experience/understanding though!

Reactions: DrowninginSQE

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
Hi, I emailed CC in August when applications opened this year about the target group as I’m outside the target group and wanted to understand what my chances were in getting a TC with them. Grad Rec responded saying they’ve already filled a significant number of 2023 TCs from their SPARK programme. It’s seem they’re actually targeting first year students.

Thanks for posting this! I've been seeing a lot of SPARK Candidates accepting TC offers on LinkedIn so I did wonder what are the chances for both priority and non-priority candidates this year.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for posting this! I've been seeing a lot of SPARK Candidates accepting TC offers on LinkedIn so I did wonder what are the chances for both priority and non-priority candidates this year.

I would stress that many could be “accepting” offers informally but then may actually accept elsewhere between now and September.

And at least those who formally accept won’t be taking up vac scheme places at other firms.

Reactions: SLKEJRWOI97

Lauren2001

Star Member
Dec 11, 2020

Thanks for sharing! I just watched grad recruitment youtube video tonight explaining the new system. I was intrigued to hear that those outside the target pool obtaining a TC is a slim chance but 'we will still see people who are career changers, people who have completed the LPC securing training contracts this year, but we are trying to be much more open and honest about the competition' (14:10) - this makes me think applications will still be reviewed just not prioritised.

DrowninginSQE

Legendary Member
Sep 23, 2020
I think last round they did did ACs at the start of the year in Jan/early Feb and then after the vac scheme interviews as before I started my scheme they'd already given a few TCs to direct apps and then again after the vac schemes. This is only a rough timeline from my experience/understanding though!
Thanks for that!

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Premium Member
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Dec 1, 2020
Hi! Nothing from CC for me yet either—can I check if we got the same email before, as I think if we don’t hear something positive from them by end of today it is a rejection?

Mine said: “If your application is considered, you will find out no later than 14th December 2020.
If your application is not considered, you will receive an email confirming that your application will not be taken forward no later than 18th December 2020.”

I’m assuming from this that they check over all applications outside of target, and send WGs today to those they are willing to potentially consider? Then send out rejections to the rest end of this week? Am hoping (but have never seen it 100% confirmed) that CC actually skim read all applications regardless...

Lauren2001

Star Member
Dec 11, 2020
Hi! Nothing from CC for me yet either—can I check if we got the same email before, as I think if we don’t hear something positive from them by end of today it is a rejection?

Mine said: “If your application is considered, you will find out no later than 14th December 2020.
If your application is not considered, you will receive an email confirming that your application will not be taken forward no later than 18th December 2020.”

I’m assuming from this that they check over all applications outside of target, and send WGs today to those they are willing to potentially consider? Then send out rejections to the rest end of this week? Am hoping (but have never seen it 100% confirmed) that CC actually skim read all applications regardless...

Hi, this is the same email I received, however because I have applied before I got a second email stating that I will not be processed to application review at the moment but if my application is considered I will find out 'after 14 December' if not I will find out no later than 18 December. So I am not sure what one to go by, it maybe depends on if you have already done WG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.