2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

zara elles

Legendary Member
Dec 24, 2020
hey guys, I just wanted a bit of advice. So i’m in my final year of university and didn’t/havent secured any vac schemes. but i did do a gap year programme with pinsent masons for a year before uni, basically was doing paralegal work and some trainee solicitor work.
I also had to resist my first year of university (i have EC’s) and when i resat i still averaged a 2.2, in first year( it was close to a 2.1, but still got a 2.2 in contract) but in second year i got a solid 2.1 but still got a 2.2 in land law but high 2.1 is eu and crim.

i’ve been applying to firms but i really feel like i don’t have much to offer - is it sensible for me to only focus on applying to smaller firms or do i still have a chance with the bigger firms? id appreciate some honest feedback :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
hey guys, I just wanted a bit of advice. So i’m in my final year of university and didn’t/havent secured any vac schemes. but i did do a gap year programme with pinsent masons for a year before uni, basically was doing paralegal work and some trainee solicitor work.
I also had to resist my first year of university (i have EC’s) and when i resat i still averaged a 2.2, in first year( it was close to a 2.1, but still got a 2.2 in contract) but in second year i got a solid 2.1 but still got a 2.2 in land law but high 2.1 is eu and crim.

i’ve been applying to firms but i really feel like i don’t have much to offer - is it sensible for me to only focus on applying to smaller firms or do i still have a chance with the bigger firms? id appreciate some honest feedback :)

Are you claiming to ext circs on forms?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
i haven’t been because technically my degree is now from 2018-2021 and the year i resat was 17-18 so i’ve just not been mentioning anything, as the exams i have ecs for aren’t on my transcript anymore

But then it will look like you have had a year out with no explanation to what you did in that year. This could be detrimental to an application.

H48

Star Member
Oct 9, 2020
I am currently completing a traineeship application which includes these two questions
Please list any other relevant skills, experience or qualities and explain how these would be of advantage in a traineeship at Gillespie Macandrew. (Max 150 words.); and

Please explain what you consider distinguishes you as a potential Trainee with Gillespie Macandrew and why you would be an asset to our firm. (Max 150 words.)

Would it be appropriate to also talk about my work/life experiences in the second question? I'm finding it hard not to provide quite similar answers to both questions.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am currently completing a traineeship application which includes these two questions
Please list any other relevant skills, experience or qualities and explain how these would be of advantage in a traineeship at Gillespie Macandrew. (Max 150 words.); and

Please explain what you consider distinguishes you as a potential Trainee with Gillespie Macandrew and why you would be an asset to our firm. (Max 150 words.)

Would it be appropriate to also talk about my work/life experiences in the second question? I'm finding it hard not to provide quite similar answers to both questions.

To me they are separate questions. One is asking you to talk about the core skills/attitudes needed to succeed, the other is asking you to highlight what makes you different, so outside of the core skills/attitudes. You could talk about any experiences in either question though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.