2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

gg332dd

Valued Member
Apr 2, 2020
YES!!! Grad rec said they will take a few months (which should be now!!!). Tried to call them last week and grad rec was not picking up - driving me mad
Oh that's not good, and they're still accepting applications for this years VC and 2023 TC too lol.

I was actually waiting to hear back for TC 2022 before re-applying but now their VC deadline is in a couple days

• Wow
Reactions: Adrian_Healey

Lily721

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    My understanding, from the (albeit limited) conversations I've had on the matter with recruiters that I know personally, is that one is not necessarily easier or harder than the other - that they're looking for broadly the same ability level etc irrespective. I know that some firms have an extra couple of components to the assessment process for direct TC apps though as they don't obviously get the same amount of contact time with the candidate, so that could perhaps be considered 'harder'... but, then again, the constant assessment and v tiring nature of vacation schemes themselves aren't easy, so I think it's a swings and roundabouts kinda thing to be honest :)
    Thank you!
    The only difference is you can take a bit of a gamble on a candidate for a vacation scheme, as the risk is relatively low. But then that person has to perform on the vac scheme itself to then get a TC offer.

So a Direct TC process might be more stringent but a vac scheme to TC process is much more considered, with some initial processes being less stringent but the end processes being much more thorough.
    Thank you! I just always thought the direct TC route would be more challenging but I see what you mean.

AW_08

Valued Member
    Dec 20, 2019
    Has anyone heard from Pinsent Masons? I applied in November for the direct TC and haven't heard anything since! I think they've looked at my application as I had notification on LinkedIn saying PM recruiters had looked at my page a month ago

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    Mine has not updated yet - does that mean that they have not looked at it yet? Bit odd if the theory is correct that they are reviewing applications from the latest submission to the earliest given that I applied a day before the deadline :(
    Mine hasn’t been updated either, trying to stay positive which is proving to be hard :(

Reactions: Manifesting and bibss

duck

Standard Member
    Jul 23, 2020
    Hello! I hope anyone could help, as I really don’t know what to think. I did an interview with a law firm for a direct TC application, they told me they would have let me know the outcome by the end of last week lol so their deadline has passed and I haven’t heard back! Should I assume I wasn’t successful?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello! I hope anyone could help, as I really don’t know what to think. I did an interview with a law firm for a direct TC application, they told me they would have let me know the outcome by the end of last week lol so their deadline has passed and I haven’t heard back! Should I assume I wasn’t successful?
    Not necessarily. Give it until the end of this week, and if you haven't heard anything by Friday lunchtime, just give them a call.

Things are a little more chaotic with feedback processes given remote working so it might just be taking them a little longer than expected. All it takes is for someone to be off sick and what was supposed to take less than a week can take a 2-3 weeks instead.

Reactions: duck
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.