2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kellie19

Standard Member
Feb 19, 2021
Hi, I am completing an application for a leading Scottish firm which deals with real estate, commercial, private client ... they are a full service firm. One of the questions on the application is “Please give an example of a recent legal decision that you disagreed with and why?”. I know this is a question only I know what I disagree with, however I am struggling to think of the best example and how I should consider structuring this.

Has anyone come across a question like this? If so, do you have any pointers or insight on how I should answer? Any help is appreciated.

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
Hi, I am completing an application for a leading Scottish firm which deals with real estate, commercial, private client ... they are a full service firm. One of the questions on the application is “Please give an example of a recent legal decision that you disagreed with and why?”. I know this is a question only I know what I disagree with, however I am struggling to think of the best example and how I should consider structuring this.

Has anyone come across a question like this? If so, do you have any pointers or insight on how I should answer? Any help is appreciated.

Hey :) I haven’t answered a question like this, but it’s a great one that gets you thinking!

What’s the word count?

I’m not 100% on what “recent” is but I think that would be anything in the last 6-12 months

In terms of structure, I would begin by mentioning the legal case I disagree with. And then proceed with reasons by signposting ie firstly, secondly, thirdly. These would be separate paragraphs. Try thinking of the impact the legal decision has had on key stakeholders and perhaps use a PESTEL analysis too

I would also look at any insights or articles the firm may have done on real estate, commercial and private client work. They sometimes talk about legal cases so this could be a great kickstart

I hope that helps, best of luck :)

Reactions: Kellie19 and Dheepa

E1998

Distinguished Member
Feb 17, 2021

Heey! Which firm is this?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

This is an interesting one!

I'd pick any case that genuinely interests you. Don't feel the need to cater it to the firm's practice areas or anything like that. I think the question is mostly trying to test your analysis, ability to argue a point and clarity of writing. All three of these things are easiest to demonstrate when you're talking about something you are actually interested in yourself. That being said, two recent examples you could use are the Google v Oracle case (a US one) or the recent Uber decision in the Supreme Court. Coincidentally also came across this article today on recent class action lawsuits that might give you some ideas.

In terms of structure, what @Holly has suggested with the PESTLE analysis is a good starting point. I'd highly recommend approaching your analysis from a commercial perspective. So thinking about how the decision will affect other industry players, will it increase or decrease the ease of doing business, how will the decision affect bottom line users/consumers.

Hope that helps! ☺️

Reactions: Kellie19 and Holly

Kellie19

Standard Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    Hey :) I haven’t answered a question like this, but it’s a great one that gets you thinking!

What’s the word count?

I’m not 100% on what “recent” is but I think that would be anything in the last 6-12 months

In terms of structure, I would begin by mentioning the legal case I disagree with. And then proceed with reasons by signposting ie firstly, secondly, thirdly. These would be separate paragraphs. Try thinking of the impact the legal decision has had on key stakeholders and perhaps use a PESTEL analysis too

I would also look at any insights or articles the firm may have done on real estate, commercial and private client work. They sometimes talk about legal cases so this could be a great kickstart

I hope that helps, best of luck :)
    Thank you, very helpful.

The word count is 250, so I am aware I need to get straight to the point. I just didn’t know where to start, but legal news on their website will be a great start.

Thanks again!

Reactions: Holly

Kellie19

Standard Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    This is an interesting one!

I'd pick any case that genuinely interests you. Don't feel the need to cater it to the firm's practice areas or anything like that. I think the question is mostly trying to test your analysis, ability to argue a point and clarity of writing. All three of these things are easiest to demonstrate when you're talking about something you are actually interested in yourself. That being said, two recent examples you could use are the Google v Oracle case (a US one) or the recent Uber decision in the Supreme Court. Coincidentally also came across this article today on recent class action lawsuits that might give you some ideas.

In terms of structure, what @Holly has suggested with the PESTLE analysis is a good starting point. I'd highly recommend approaching your analysis from a commercial perspective. So thinking about how the decision will affect other industry players, will it increase or decrease the ease of doing business, how will the decision affect bottom line users/consumers.

Hope that helps! ☺️
    Hello,

That is very helpful @Dheepa. I did come across the Uber case and thought it might be an interesting one to consider.

I will get something on paper and hopefully this will spark some creativity.

Thanks again!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For direct TC's are applications generally reviewed on a rolling basis? Also, from the few that I've looked at the deadlines are around June- is this the case with most of them?

Thanks!
    Will completely depend on the firm. Some will do rolling recruitment, some won’t.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.