2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NLaw18

Star Member
Feb 27, 2020
Though I’d respond to this as have seen a lot of BM applications over the last 6 months.

It is fine to use pro bono if it is truly something you can talk about and evidence. If you do, focus on why it excites/inspires you rather than the specific detail of the processes you have done during pro bono work. People tend to go wrong by trying to prove their skill set or motivation for law in the answer rather than answering the question.

However, if your pro bono work is elsewhere in your application (eg in a work experience section or used in other questions) then this could be a missed opportunity to demonstrate a wider range of interests and show you to be much more multifaceted individual. So just think about how it fits into your wider application. It may mean you keep this as your “excites and inspires” question but you swap out other answer to show there is more to you than just law.
Thanks a lot Jessica, that is really helpful! I definitely get the point of not rehashing the same things and instead using the question as an opportunity to demonstrate something which hasn't been discussed elsewhere.

NLaw18

Star Member
Feb 27, 2020
T
When I said try not to talk about something legal in my initial response I was just indicating that a lot of candidates feel the need to tie it back to the firm or their motivations for law when really there’s no need to do either with a question like this. It should be all about you - and if pro bono is something you really are passionate about then of course that’s what you should be discussing.

Completely agree with Jess on keeping your wider application in mind as well - if pro bono comes up elsewhere and there maybe is another interest you could discuss then do that instead. Really the point of questions like this is for the firm to get a better picture of your personality so just keep in mind that you want to give them the “full” picture and not just rehash information found in other parts of your app.
Thanks a lot Dheepa! You and Jessica have helped me to put the questions in a better context.

Reactions: Dheepa

LS12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Thank you for this so they are not reviewing it on a rolling basis.
    Bakers reviews applications in the order they receive them however they do not invite applicants on a rolling basis. It is still advantageous if you have submitted earlier as your application will be one of the first they read and less likely to be rejected due to numbers. They are still rolling.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Bakers reviews applications in the order they receive them however they do not invite applicants on a rolling basis. It is still advantageous if you have submitted earlier as your application will be one of the first they read and less likely to be rejected due to numbers. They are still rolling.
    Hmm I didn't submit it that early though 28th February so 28 days after the application opened.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Do WFW only consider non-law applications for their direct training contract applications. On their application, they asked have you done the GDL.
    I doubt that. It is probably just a section of their application to confirm the non law grads, especially with everything that is going on with the SQE transition

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.