2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anon 11031

Does anyone have any tips for steadying nerves for a VI? Like, I've always been okay with normal interviews because you're just having a conversation with another person but some part of me feels recording myself is super unnatural haha

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone have any tips for steadying nerves for a VI? Like, I've always been okay with normal interviews because you're just having a conversation with another person but some part of me feels recording myself is super unnatural haha
It may sounds very silly but I have heard putting a smiley face or a photo of someone you know who is looking at the camera in the photo, behind or near your webcam can help you think it’s more like a conversation.

LeilaScott

Valued Member
Nov 19, 2020
Does anyone have any advice on applying for Direct TCs while revising for finals? I have about 2 months left before my final exams (which count for 100% of my grade unfortunately lol) and really want to get TC apps sorted before its too late - any advice on time blocking/ how to structure would be helpful! I think I could do an app in 4 hrs but I've never done that before as I've not been time-pressured to do so in one sitting...

Phoenix for all

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 13, 2020
    Is anyone here applying to the CPS legal trainee scheme barrister/solicitor pathway? I am confused by the application form.
    I know we need to remove our education institution and other identifying info from the manually input CV section, but we are also asked to upload a CV and I wonder if I also need to remove my school name etc from the CV I upload?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Does anyone have any advice on applying for Direct TCs while revising for finals? I have about 2 months left before my final exams (which count for 100% of my grade unfortunately lol) and really want to get TC apps sorted before its too late - any advice on time blocking/ how to structure would be helpful! I think I could do an app in 4 hrs but I've never done that before as I've not been time-pressured to do so in one sitting...

I'd recommend time blocking for apps in small chunks rather than aiming to finish it all in one sitting. This applies to any job application I've ever sent out law or non-law related, but usually after writing answers for just one or two questions, I'm absolutely beat. I've found forcing myself to continue past that point to really significantly affect the quality of my applications. If you'd like to aim to finish one app in four hours maybe consider splitting that four hours across two days in a week, so that you come back to the app with a fresher mind. You'd also need to allocate some time for research. Personally I think it'd be realistic to organise your time by days, i.e Mondays, two hours research, and then Wednesday and Sundays two hours each on actually writing and finalising the app. That way you can organise writing them around any exam prep you want to start doing as well.

LeilaScott

Valued Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    I'd recommend time blocking for apps in small chunks rather than aiming to finish it all in one sitting. This applies to any job application I've ever sent out law or non-law related, but usually after writing answers for just one or two questions, I'm absolutely beat. I've found forcing myself to continue past that point to really significantly affect the quality of my applications. If you'd like to aim to finish one app in four hours maybe consider splitting that four hours across two days in a week, so that you come back to the app with a fresher mind. You'd also need to allocate some time for research. Personally I think it'd be realistic to organise your time by days, i.e Mondays, two hours research, and then Wednesday and Sundays two hours each on actually writing and finalising the app. That way you can organise writing them around any exam prep you want to start doing as well.
    Thank you so much! This is such a nice way of doing it, and I hadn't actually considered the research aspect being a separate amount of time (even though obviously it is I just never notice when doing apps at my leisure) - def more useful to get one quality one out a week than worry about them and get nothing done lol

D

Deleted member 2707

Just got a PFO from Travers!

"We are sorry to inform you that we will not be holding any further interviews. We realise how disappointing this is but we have experienced a higher volume of applications than usual and, unfortunately, we are unable to interview everyone who has applied.

If the firm is still of interest, please visit our website in mid-July for further information about the Training Contract application process for September 2023.

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide feedback at this stage. As we mentioned, due to the high volume of applications received we simply ran out of spaces and were unable to interview everyone who applied."

Does this mean I can re-apply in the summer (ie: mid-July)?

• 🤝
    Reactions: cryingoverTCs
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.