2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    Can any of the successful BM applicants share their secret with those who spent countless of hours on their application and weren’t successful please? I am so confused lol
    I agree with this anyone who WG invite can you reach out to me please if you don't mind.
    Without knowing any specifics, there are so many things that can be used to assess an application - the university you attend, your university and school grades, extra-curricular, work experience, quality of written English, whether they feel you have answered the question - even who reads the application can alter how it is perceived

When applications are reviewed holistically, it is really small things that can mean you just miss out (I would know!) -- I hope you have better luck with any remaining/future applications :)

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Without knowing any specifics, there are so many things that can be used to assess an application - the university you attend, your university and school grades, extra-curricular, work experience, quality of written English, whether they feel you have answered the question - even who reads the application can alter how it is perceived

When applications are reviewed holistically, it is really small things that can mean you just miss out (I would know!) -- I hope you have better luck with any remaining/future applications :)
    I know what you mean but it is really annoying as my application was really strong but who knows and we move on.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Sonia_Kawaii

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021

I don’t agree that candidates should be judged based on which uni they attend. I am a First Class law student and also a barrister in Mauritius and I am not an Oxbridge or RG student. I couldn’t afford to attend those universities but I still made the most of what my parents could offer me. Anyway it is what it is...life goes on and another application cycle will come 🙂

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    I don’t agree that candidates should be judged based on which uni they attend. I am a First Class law student and also a barrister in Mauritius and I am not an Oxbridge or RG student. I couldn’t afford to attend those universities but I still made the most of what my parents could offer me. Anyway it is what it is...life goes on and another application cycle will come 🙂
    Nadine, to be clear, I wasn't making a judgment on the rights or wrongs of using these criteria when assessing applicants or even you as a candidate - I was just saying that these are probably taken into consideration (but @Jessica Booker is probably the best person to ask)

From what you have said, it seems as if you have a really interesting background to leverage into applications - I really hope you find success :)
    Best of luck

A

Anon 11031

I don't agree that they should be, but I think it's a sad reality that for *some* firms...they definitely are 😒. There are definitely factors that are a much better indicator of someone's ability to become a lawyer than the university they attended.

For some employers though, I imagine they just see Oxbridge or RG as being indicative of continuously good academic performance. Although when I started university (RG), I was told the standard of education between different institutions can vary so that might hold some weight too. Could also be absolute BS.

It's just so unfortunate that a system exists where some candidates are judged on things which may not necessarily reflect their individual ability. 😒

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    i don’t think the poster was suggesting they should I think they were saying there are so many variables, it’s hard for candidates who got the WG to share their magic ingredient. For reference I didn’t go to a Russell group and have got to VI for Bakers twice so I don’t think uni is a major factor

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    i don’t think the poster was suggesting they should I think they were saying there are so many variables, it’s hard for candidates who got the WG to share their magic ingredient. For reference I didn’t go to a Russell group and have got to VI for Bakers twice so I don’t think uni is a major factor
    Yep - this is precisely what I was saying - sorry if I was unclear :)

• Love
    Reactions: LS12

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Nadine, to be clear, I wasn't making a judgment on the rights or wrongs of using these criteria when assessing applicants - I was just saying that these are probably taken into consideration (but @Jessica Booker is probably the best person to ask)

From what you have said, it seems as if you have a really interesting background to leverage into applications - I really hope you find success :)
    Best of luck
    I wasn’t implying anything either just stating how I feel as someone who was not very privileged. Not everyone’s journey is smooth and I know that firms are are more welcoming to that now, but there is still room for improvement.

Thank you. Best of luck to you on your journey too!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.