2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    If what's worth, in my applications I always try to make a balance between law and non-law. So for bakers, the 'inspiring' section, I answered about an area of history that I enjoy and how it is relevant to this day.

I am literally on a VS rn and most of the convos I have with people arent about law, it's about them as people and their genuine interests. Striking the balance is key.

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    i don’t think the poster was suggesting they should I think they were saying there are so many variables, it’s hard for candidates who got the WG to share their magic ingredient. For reference I didn’t go to a Russell group and have got to VI for Bakers twice so I don’t think uni is a major factor
    i don’t think the poster was suggesting they should I think they were saying there are so many variables, it’s hard for candidates who got the WG to share their magic ingredient. For reference I didn’t go to a Russell group and have got to VI for Bakers twice so I don’t think uni is a major
    I don't agree that they should be, but I think it's a sad reality that for *some* firms...they definitely are 😒. There are definitely factors that are a much better indicator of someone's ability to become a lawyer than the university they attended.

For some employers though, I imagine they just see Oxbridge or RG as being indicative of continuously good academic performance. Although when I started university (RG), I was told the standard of education between different institutions can vary so that might hold some weight too. Could also be absolute BS.

It's just so unfortunate that a system exists where some candidates are judged on things which may not necessarily reflect their individual ability. 😒
    I’m totally onboard with you on this!

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Yep - this is precisely what I was saying - sorry if I was unclear :)
    I didn’t actually think that’s what the poster was suggesting. It’s just that I disagree with some of guidelines in place 🙂
    i don’t think the poster was suggesting they should I think they were saying there are so many variables, it’s hard for candidates who got the WG to share their magic ingredient. For reference I didn’t go to a Russell group and have got to VI for Bakers twice so I don’t think uni is a major factor

• Love

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Nadine, to be clear, I wasn't making a judgment on the rights or wrongs of using these criteria when assessing applicants or even you as a candidate - I was just saying that these are probably taken into consideration (but @Jessica Booker is probably the best person to ask)

From what you have said, it seems as if you have a really interesting background to leverage into applications - I really hope you find success :)
    Best of luck
    How they are taken into consideration will vary by firm. Some still want a prestigious university, but the vast majority have realised that it doesn’t mean much purely on its own. Context is everything.

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    Can any of the successful BM applicants share their secret with those who spent countless of hours on their application and weren’t successful please? I am so confused lol
    I spent a few hours on it, submitted to TCLA for review and amended to reflect the feedback. I usually get rejected for the ones I work hard for lol do not ask me how this works :D

• Haha
    Reactions: Sonia_Kawaii

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    If what's worth, in my applications I always try to make a balance between law and non-law. So for bakers, the 'inspiring' section, I answered about an area of history that I enjoy and how it is relevant to this day.

I am literally on a VS rn and most of the convos I have with people arent about law, it's about them as people and their genuine interests. Striking the balance is key.
    I agree - I talked about my interest in psychology and human interaction lol, not much to do with law per se. (note - the rest showcased my motivation for law due to my work experience so a good balance is best I believe)

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    Just to reply to a few disheartened people - I truly believe that sometimes it is partly about luck

I literally did this app in a matter of hours and only had one of my friends from uni (who does an English degree) look over it for grammar and syntax, but the rest was just me scrambling to complete it the day of the deadline (like I legit sent it a couple hours before midnight, which was not my original plan, but I had COVID so)

Compare this to other apps I completed this year, where I used the TCLA service, asked others to read, spent weeks on the applications and didn't even make it post-app. But the VS offer I already have for this summer was also an app I sent 2 days before the deadline

honestly, this system makes no sense - I'm not saying I didn't work hard on the app (quality, not quantity, I suppose) but I definitely worked harder on other apps

but I will say, regarding the university thing - I don't think that's it either, because I don't go to an RG uni and my A levels weren't the best (extenuating circumstances though)

I also received my invite at 11.44am

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    Just to reply to a few disheartened people - I truly believe that sometimes it is partly about luck

I literally did this app in a matter of hours and only had one of my friends from uni (who does an English degree) look over it for grammar and syntax, but the rest was just me scrambling to complete it the day of the deadline (like I legit sent it a couple hours before midnight, which was not my original plan, but I had COVID so)

Compare this to other apps I completed this year, where I used the TCLA service, asked others to read, spent weeks on the applications and didn't even make it post-app. But the VS offer I already have for this summer was also an app I sent 2 days before the deadline

honestly, this system makes no sense - I'm not saying I didn't work hard on the app (quality, not quantity, I suppose) but I definitely worked harder on other apps

but I will say, regarding the university thing - I don't think that's it either, because I don't go to an RG uni and my A levels weren't the best (extenuating circumstances though)

I totally agree. I also submitted few hours before deadline while the other apps that I spent days/weeks on, I got rejected from. I also think a huge factor is luck. Regarding the uni thing - I agree, I did my LLB at non RG uni but my LLM at RG (which I know doesn't really matter for law firms in the UK...).

Georgina Evans

Valued Member
  • Jul 25, 2019

I completely agree with this!
    So many of my applications that I've spent hours on and thought were really strong have been rejected instantly whereas the ones where I didn't think I stood a chance have been more sucessful.

I've really learnt this cycle to not take every rejection to heart and to just chalk it up to such a competitive cycle and other people being a better fit for the firm.
    A rejection isn't necessarily a reflection on you as a candidate, sometimes just comes down to luck!!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

Yeah law will often be the last thing lawyers want to talk about in an informal/networking setting haha

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    I spent a few hours on it, submitted to TCLA for review and amended to reflect the feedback. I usually get rejected for the ones I work hard for lol do not ask me how this works :D
    Thank you so much. I will have TCLA review my application next time. Also how long beforehand should I have them review it? And who should I send it to? ! lol haha that's funny. I also find I hear positively from firms I don't spend much time on lol

• Love
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.