2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MandyAA

Distinguished Member
Jan 20, 2021
I've just received an invite to do a video interview with BLM!! Do you guys know how long we have to answer and prep before recording?

Many thanks
I did the VS VI, I can’t remember exactly but there’s about 1minute10secs give or take to prepare and then between 1minute30secs - 2 minutes to answer.

It varies from question to question!

• Love
Reactions: MLF

c1070

Esteemed Member
Mar 4, 2020
I have seen lots of people commenting as they think the BM deadline is today - did they say this anywhere!? My email gave 4 AC dates (one of which is today and another on monday lol) but I didnt see anything about a deadline for getting back to us!? I feel like maybe they have pushed it back given I haven't seen anyone with an AC and two of their dates in the email were today and monday!?

although they did send the VI at 6pm on a friday a few weeks ago lol so who knows

E.A

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2019
I have seen lots of people commenting as they think the BM deadline is today - did they say this anywhere!? My email gave 4 AC dates (one of which is today and another on monday lol) but I didnt see anything about a deadline for getting back to us!? I feel like maybe they have pushed it back given I haven't seen anyone with an AC and two of their dates in the email were today and monday!?

although they did send the VI at 6pm on a friday a few weeks ago lol so who knows
As far as I am aware, they wrote we will find out whether our VI has been successful "by no later than 7th May". I haven't seen any date for Monday

Reactions: LillyI1 and SS1

linksfuturetrainee

Junior Lawyer
Sep 2, 2019

I think they sent an email with revised dates which are:
Thursday 13th May
Tuesday 18th May
Thursday 20th May
Tuesday 25th May
Thursday 27th May

JayC

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Jan 8, 2021

The first AC date mentioned in my e-mail was next Thursday? Did you apply direct TC

Reactions: E.A

c1070

Esteemed Member
Mar 4, 2020

oops sorry! yeah I've now seen the email with revised dates. The original ones they sent were the 7th 11th and some others. thanks everyone!

A

Anon 11031

For the first question I’d stick to extra curriculars and any other interests you have since you can cover your managerial position in the work experience section. The application stage is really about trying to provide the firm with a well rounded picture of you and including information you haven’t covered elsewhere is generally a good approach I think.

For the second question, I don’t think you need to constrain yourself to the office you’re applying to. The question is really just looking to test your commercial awareness + firm awareness, so I’d suggest writing about something you’re really interested in and can discuss in depth. You can still discuss the Manchester office by maybe including how they would benefit from the opportunity :)
Hi! Thanks so much for replying.

In regards to the second question, looking at the phrasing, do you think it's okay to talk about an area of law that is becoming more regulated. Like, in the sense that it will be an opportunity for the firm to expand and learn more about this emerging area of law. Or would you say opportunities are more based on growth in certain markets?

I'm finding it really difficult to answer. I'm really interested in regulatory stuff and I have an idea in mind but I don't know how I could relate to it being an 'opportunity' 😔

MLF

Valued Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    Hi! Thanks so much for replying.

In regards to the second question, looking at the phrasing, do you think it's okay to talk about an area of law that is becoming more regulated. Like, in the sense that it will be an opportunity for the firm to expand and learn more about this emerging area of law. Or would you say opportunities are more based on growth in certain markets?

I'm finding it really difficult to answer. I'm really interested in regulatory stuff and I have an idea in mind but I don't know how I could relate to it being an 'oppertunity' 😔
    Hi there,

Personally, I focused on a sector I'm really interested in and know about so that I could talk about new developments in this sector as well as questions that these developments raise. At the same time, I linked it with what Fieldfisher as a law firm with expertise in that field could do (e.g. work with gov, regulators, data protection advice). I think as said above, it's more about showing what you're interested in and your commercial awareness!

Good luck :)

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019

My email says we'll know by no later than 7th May. The first assessment centre is next Thursday - I haven't seen any revised dates but please correct if I'm wrong!

Reactions: John Travoni and E.A
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.