2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLF

Valued Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    Anyone applying to Pinsent Masons - have you also submitted a CV with your application? I never know what firms are looking for with CVs...
    Hey, yes I submitted my CV which pretty much covers the "work experience" section and some further volunteering activities. I'm not sure what they are looking for either tbh

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    Hey, yes I submitted my CV which pretty much covers the "work experience" section and some further volunteering activities. I'm not sure what they are looking for either tbh
    Thank you! Did you just include an overview of responsibilities and what you have learnt as per the work experience section or just a concise overview of what you did? Not sure how detailed I should be!

A

Anon 11031

Thank you! Did you just include an overview of responsibilities and what you have learnt as per the work experience section or just a concise overview of what you did? Not sure how detailed I should be!
    I submitted my CV as it looks for all other jobs and firms, bullet pointed responsibilities in previous jobs. Added extra positions of responsibility.

I actually emailed Pinsents and they said it's not necessary, but is just there to support your application. However, it is given to the interviewing partner - should you get that far. So include everything you'd want them to see, and that you'd be comfortable discussing. ☺️

• 🏆
    Reactions: Dheepa, MLF and ZaraB
    A

Anon 11031

Might seem like a ridiculous question, but I want to send a firm an email expressing interest in their paralegal opportunities (they only recruit trainees this way).

I want to ask them what the average time is between paralegaling and securing a TC and whether they fund the LPC. How would you write up the email? I'm struggling for words this evening.

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    I submitted my CV as it looks for all other jobs and firms, bullet pointed responsibilities in previous jobs. Added extra positions of responsibility.

I actually emailed Pinsents and they said it's not necessary, but is just there to support your application. However, it is given to the interviewing partner - should you get that far. So include everything you'd want them to see, and that you'd be comfortable discussing. ☺️
    Perfect, thank you so much, that is super helpful!☺️

• Love
    Reactions: Anon 11031

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Are people applying to direct TCs with only an incoming vac scheme as the relevant legal experience? That's all I have for legal experience really as a second year..
    Amazing that you’ve secured a VS and it’s definitely enough legal experience for a TC app.

Reactions: Eliana

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    No harm in being detailed. Would just recommend quantifying your achievements in those roles with numbers or figures. So the extent of responsibility you had is obvious to the person reading it too. :)

• 🏆
    Reactions: ZaraB

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Are people applying to direct TCs with only an incoming vac scheme as the relevant legal experience? That's all I have for legal experience really as a second year..
    There are plenty of people who will be applying in that situation, I wouldn’t worry about it and would give it a go anyway.

Reactions: Eliana
    A

Anon 11031

Has anyone applied to Pinsent Masons and not received email confirmation but website says app is submitted.
    Hi, I haven't received an email confirmation! I was just about to ask the same question here ahah
    Hi!

I reached out to them a while ago about this. As long as it says completed/submitted it has gone through. The reason you don't get an email is because you can edit all the way through to the deadline.

You will get acknowledgement of receipt after the deadline has passed. Hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.