Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Dheepa @Jessica Booker A rather strange question, but in a direct TC AC case study, when partners are guiding you towards the right answer and you get it, what are they looking for? I.e. are they looking to see that you eventually get it, or if you didn't get it without their hints, is that already a hindrance to your assessment?

Also - very absurdly, in my AC one interviewer called the other partner out for asking me an unfair question and for a few questions that the other partner didn't know the answers to. It was very awkward, he went completely red. On the basis of my physical identity, it is very difficult not to think deeper about why that specific interaction took place. The same partner also later apologized for the other partner jumping all over the place, though I managed to get all of the issues, save 2, which I resolved with the partners' guidance.

You aren't expected to know all the answers straight away - guiding someone to something is a natural and often necessary part of the realities of the job. So they aren't really looking for anything in particular when they do this, they are just doing it to see if you can get to the substance/answer with a bit of guiding and how you react to the situation (but in no different a way to when the first asked you the question, or any other question).

Feel free to PM me with more specifics of the questions and why you think it was related to your identity. I doubt this was the case - it is just often the case in interviews you get a good cop/bad cop rountine. I have had people call me out for my questions before and I have called out other interviewers for their questions too - its not as uncommon as you may think. Even great interviewers have bad days where they aren't on the ball when interviewing, and have a tendency to do things like jump around etc.

Reactions: CorporateB3

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I have had people call me out for my questions before and I have called out other interviewers for their questions too - its not as uncommon as you may think. Even great interviewers have bad days where they aren't on the ball when interviewing, and have a tendency to do things like jump around etc.
    To be honest this is why I'm a massive fan of 2-person interviews. I've had a couple of interviews in the past where I've felt throughout that the interviewer was jumping around, asking stuff it didn't seem reasonable to know etc - having a second interviewer in the room would have provided a check and balance on that and, to be honest, I think it would have made the process a lot fairer.

RS31

Distinguished Member
    Jan 23, 2021
    Anyone else still waiting on NRF post-phone interview?
    I am still waiting too. I even emailed them requesting an update but no response. I saw only one person posted that they got an AC invite a few days ago- seems very low? I recall that quite a few people on this platform posted about getting the telephone interview

Reactions: CK74

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    @Dheepa @Jessica Booker A rather strange question, but in a direct TC AC case study, when partners are guiding you towards the right answer and you get it, what are they looking for? I.e. are they looking to see that you eventually get it, or if you didn't get it without their hints, is that already a hindrance to your assessment?

Also - very absurdly, in my AC one interviewer called the other partner out for asking me an unfair question and for a few questions that the other partner didn't know the answers to. It was very awkward, he went completely red. On the basis of my physical identity, it is very difficult not to think deeper about why that specific interaction took place. The same partner also later apologized for the other partner jumping all over the place, though I managed to get all of the issues, save 2, which I resolved with the partners' guidance.
    I always assumed that when partners are guiding you to an answer, they’re looking to see if 1. You get the answer but more importantly if 2. Your thought process in getting to the answer. This second point is why I think it’s especially important to talk through your answers in case study interviews. I’ve often gotten final answers slightly wrong, but the feedback I get is that my thought process was logical and I’d shown that I considered most of the relevant points anyway. I think as long as you’re displaying that logical/analytical thought process, you don’t have much to be worried about.

Re: the partner interaction, feel free to PM as well about why you think based on your physical identity the partner said that to the other one. I have had a similar experience at one of my direct TC interviews (and I doubt it was a good cop-bad cop situation) where one partner was very obviously annoyed at the other about a response to my question. Not the most comfortable situation to be in so I do sympathise. Really hope it didn’t throw you off too much during the interview.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    To be honest this is why I'm a massive fan of 2-person interviews. I've had a couple of interviews in the past where I've felt throughout that the interviewer was jumping around, asking stuff it didn't seem reasonable to know etc - having a second interviewer in the room would have provided a check and balance on that and, to be honest, I think it would have made the process a lot fairer.
    It a case of two heads being better than one for all aspects of an interview.

One on one interviews require more than twice my energy as an interviewer. You need to be super charged in terms of attention span and energy to interview on your own effectively. I think most organisations these days will either have multiple interviewers, whether across an assessment centre or in an interview, because ultimately it is better, more effective and less risky.

Reactions: Jacob Miller
    A

Anon 11031

It a case of two heads being better than one for all aspects of an interview.

One on one interviews require more than twice my energy as an interviewer. You need to be super charged in terms of attention span and energy to interview on your own effectively. I think most organisations these days will either have multiple interviewers, whether across an assessment centre or in an interview, because ultimately it is better, more effective and less risky.
    I can second this. There's been occasions where me (or the person I'm interviewing with) has missed a key bit of information that would hit a competency, which could be the difference between a pass and a fail.

Two people just makes sure they're getting the absolute best out of you, I feel one interviewer could be more biased and less accountable for letting their own feelings determine an outcome - which isn't good for anyone!

Penelope

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 2
  • Aug 14, 2019
    Hi! I did it last year and I would say research the firm really well: their competitors, their USP, there was a big focus on why them in particular compared with other firms and know their recent work. Also I was asked how COVID has impacted their firm/clients.

Be prepared to explain your experience and studies in more detail too. Hope it goes well!
    Thank you so much! This is really helpful

Gus23

Junior Lawyer
    Mar 13, 2020
    Are people applying to direct TCs with only an incoming vac scheme as the relevant legal experience? That's all I have for legal experience really as a second year..
    Some firms, such as Slaughter and May, don’t even require any legal experience for the TC. A friend of mine got one with none. I got my TC at BCLP with no vac schemes, just insight schemes. Obviously it depends, but a lot of firms just want to see that you have the transferrable skills, similar culture and work ethic to the firm. Plus having secured a vac scheme is impressive in itself to firms. TLDR: don’t worry about how much legal experience you have, but utilise what you’ve got ☺️

YJyj

Dec 29, 2020
    Anyone else who applied to the Pinsent Masons direct TC (deadline yesterday) and hasn't received a confirmation email after submitting? When I log-in, I can see that my app was submitted. However I haven't received any form of confirmation by email.

Reactions: Bugsy Malone and ZaraB

Elle W

Valued Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Anyone else who applied to the Pinsent Masons direct TC (deadline yesterday) and hasn't received a confirmation email after submitting? When I log-in, I can see that my app was submitted. However I haven't received any form of confirmation by email.
    With the VS the confirmation email came through about a week after so I wouldn't worry!

A M

Distinguished Member
    Dec 28, 2020
    You do not have to worry about the confirmation email. When you submit the app., a confirmation pops up on the screen showing your app. has been successfully submitted.

Reactions: Anon 11031

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I will potentially have to defer 3 of my exams due to a sudden mitigating circumstance. How will law firms look at this for TC applications? Will I have to disclose this at any point in the application process? @Jessica Booker maybe you may know?
    Will you have to defer it until August, or is it a case of having to take a whole year out and retake?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    sorry, I mean defer until the August exam period
    You don’t have to necessarily declare it, unless you are looking to start a sponsored course with the firm in question in September (assuming you might not have results by then).

It sounds like they will be recorded as first sittings, which is really what firms care about.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.